Google caught using misleading report to claim Nexus 7 outsold iPad in Japan

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This is not that big a deal. They cited a report without digging into the method of analysis. Quite common.

Well it IS a big deal. When crap like this hits the usual web sites the iHater crowd immediately soaks it up and repeats it ad infinitum. My youngest sees this on a regular basis. He will probably be bombarded soon by his Fandroid acquaintances with "The Nexus 7 is more popular than the iPad, ha ha ha. Apple is going down." They instantly latch onto any tidbit of negative "news" and repeat it as indisputable fact. 

• Reply 42 of 103
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    "Google representatives pointed out that there have now been about 70 million Android tablet activations, with about 50 million of those coming in the last 12 months."

So, what they are basically lying abou... er, [I]saying[/I] now, is that a) the uptake into the android tablet space has been *exponential* over the past year (50m vs 20m for all previous years combined) and b) that their sales are almost keeping pace with Apple in the 'tablet' space?

Because that 12-month number - "50 million tablet activations" - comes out to just over 4 million a month, or 12 million a quarter. Pretty close to Apple's sales numbers.

Oh wait. ANDROID tablet activations. Not NEXUS activations. So, yeah… back on topic: MAYBE the Nexus 7 accounts for half of those activations? Maybe. Probably not remotely, actually.

That number could also be taking into account the VERY large numbers of cheap, underpowered "plastic tray" tablets in/from China running Android v2 et al. I've seen them (in China, in Hong Kong, in places like Ukraine), in the 'discount bin' of 'outlet stores'. Almost unbranded crappy little generic "tablet devices" they sell for $100 if that, and are the "cheap netbook" of the tablet space. Not worthy of counting as a robust, hot-selling "product" is it, just because it happens to run some hacked variant of "your" mobile OS?

OK, I suppose they count *cough*... just like every $150 "disposable" netbook counted toward overall "PC sales" of Widdows Lite... *cough* Yeah, that made for a healthy market, eh?

Google, dragging the rest of us down with them, Microsoft style... *cheer!* *cough* *ack. phlbt!*
  • Reply 43 of 103
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Isn't this supposed to be an Apple news site?

Half the articles these days exist to provide red meat to the faithful, rather than useful information about Apple. Who has decided that constantly dredging up fairly inconsequential criticisms of Google or Samsung is a good editorial direction, rather than actually providing stimulating material about Apple?

I love my Apple products, but I don't have to run down Google ten times a day to prove it.

To expose fraud is very important because the media likes to copycat each other.  They will stop doing copycat when there is a dispute. 

• Reply 44 of 103

Hi all,

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but Apple never releases store sales of particular items and/or for particular countries.

If so, then how can one expect to know what these sales figures are and how would anyone know whether combined with other country sales, the Japanese iPad sales actually did exceed Google's Nexus sales. Just saying, if they don't publish sales figures, you can't fault the competition for ignoring them.

• Reply 45 of 103
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    This is not that big a deal. They cited a report without digging into the method of analysis. Quite common.

My iPad matches my Omega watch, I could have bought a cheap Chinese knock off just like I could have bought a Nexus, but nothing matches the real thing.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Wishful thinking, no it's about getting hit's to the site and making it interesting for the reader. Flogging the competition is the easiest way to do that.

Your attempt for neutrality would make your Swiss people proud.

However, I do think you have it correct. Controversy yields attention.  This site give people what they expect and want to see.  It draws trolls like flies in the process.

Trying to make it more neutral on your own by promoting a non-Apple product over an Apple product  will likely just draw even more attention and do the opposite of what it is I think you want to see.  Its like an independent trying to comment on politics. 

I would recommend that you read what interests you  and ignore the articles and threads that upset you. Trying to make things more neutral will just backfire IMHO.

• Reply 47 of 103
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    snova wrote: »
    Your attempt for neutrality would make your Swiss people proud.

However, I do think you have it correct. Controversy yields attention.  This site give people what they expect and want to see.  It draws trolls like flies in the process.

Trying to make it more neutral on your own by promoting a non-Apple product over an Apple product  will likely just draw even more attention and do the opposite of what it is I think you want to see.  Its like an independent trying to comment on politics. 

I would recommend that you read what interests you  and ignore the articles and threads that upset you. Trying to make things more neutral will just backfire IMHO.

I'm not asking to promote any non-Apple products unless it has a direct benefit to Apple like an AirPlay speaker. These threads just bring out the school yard bully in people, I mean just look at what has been written thus far. I like a good Nerd debate like the rest of them but stating things like Google is going to bring down the civilized world or calling the Nexus 7 a cheap imitation is just malarkey and brings absolute bupkis to the conversation at hand.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member

Suffering???

Seriously?

More like rejoicing in justice being served.

You can admire Apple on their own merit.  many do.

But you can also rejoice when they are vindicated from the evildoers trying to take them down.  And yes, I call stealing the OS concept "doing evil." copying their standout design features is doing evil.  Lying and misrepresenting sales figures to hurt Apple stock prices is doing evil.

In fact, you don't have to admire Apple to enjoy justice being served.  

A non-Apple user could be just as happy.

But when the two are combined, it is definitely a good day.

Apple is vindicated and justice is served to the bad guys.

who are the bad guys? The guys who stole and then lied about their success in order to manipulate the market.

I think that about does it.

Have a nice day.

• Reply 49 of 103
    hill60 wrote: »
    My iPad matches my Omega watch, I could have bought a cheap Chinese knock off just like I could have bought a Nexus, but nothing matches the real thing.

My sisters husband works for Omega, I can get last years model for 60% off. I only have 4 though, my sister has like 12 now. If anyone is interested just send me an IM along with the model number and I'll see what I can do.
  • Reply 50 of 103

Quote:

I'm not asking to promote any non-Apple products unless it has a direct benefit to Apple like an AirPlay speaker. These threads just bring out the school yard bully in people, I mean just look at what has been written thus far. I like a good Nerd debate like the rest of them but stating things like Google is going to bring down the civilized world or calling the Nexus 7 a cheap imitation is just malarkey and brings absolute bupkis to the conversation at hand.

The Nexus 7 IS a cheap imitation.

Android IS a cheap imitation.

That is simply true.

While I don't believe Google is going to bring down the world, nor do I agree with some of the childish remarks made often, it is a simple fact that Android and its stolen code is a cheap wannabe iOS knockoff.  And the Nexus is and cheap, wannabe iPad knockoff.

Using Android after using iOS is like driving a Pontiac Firebird after driving a Mercedes AMG Black.

And the hardware quality is no comparison.

Likewise using iOS after using Android is like a breath of fresh air. Functional (not a half-baked, still in beta feel), easy on the eyes, smooth, and stable.

Apple is far ahead.  the others can copy, but it really is a cheap imitation.

• Reply 51 of 103
    9secondko wrote: »
    Suffering???

Seriously?

More like rejoicing in justice being served.

You can admire Apple on their own merit.  many do.

But you can also rejoice when they are vindicated from the evildoers trying to take them down.  And yes, I call stealing the OS concept "doing evil." copying their standout design features is doing evil.  Lying and misrepresenting sales figures to hurt Apple stock prices is doing evil.

In fact, you don't have to admire Apple to enjoy justice being served.  

A non-Apple user could be just as happy.

But when the two are combined, it is definitely a good day.

Apple is vindicated and justice is served to the bad guys.

who are the bad guys? The guys who stole and then lied about their success in order to manipulate the market.

I think that about does it.

Have a nice day.

:lol:
  • Reply 52 of 103
    The Nexus 7 IS a cheap imitation.

Android IS a cheap imitation.

That is simply true.

While I don't believe Google is going to bring down the world, nor do I agree with some of the childish remarks made often, it is a simple fact that Android and its stolen code is a cheap wannabe iOS knockoff.  And the Nexus is and cheap, wannabe iPad knockoff.

Using Android after using iOS is like driving a Pontiac Firebird after driving a Mercedes AMG Black.

And the hardware quality is no comparison.

Likewise using iOS after using Android is like a breath of fresh air. Functional (not a half-baked, still in beta feel), easy on the eyes, smooth, and stable.

Apple is far ahead.  the others can copy, but it really is a cheap imitation.

This is just a silly opinion and brings nothing new to the thread that hasn't already been said a 100,000 times before.
  • Reply 53 of 103

Quote:

This is just a silly opinion and brings nothing new to the thread that hasn't already been said a 100,000 times before.

And your opinions on other people's thoughts add even less to this thread.

• Reply 54 of 103

Quote:

Nothing funny about lies and theft.

• Reply 55 of 103

And your opinions on other people's thoughts add even less to this thread.

That very well might be but at least it's an original thought and not parroted.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Nothing funny about lies and theft.

Okay chief, go get'm.
  • Reply 57 of 103

Quote:

That very well might be but at least it's an original thought and not parroted.

Like I said, your opinions on other peoples thoughts... 

• Reply 58 of 103

Quote:

Okay chief, go get'm.

At least you agree that lies and theft are no laughing matter.

That's a point in your favor.

• Reply 59 of 103
    At least you agree that lies and theft are no laughing matter.

That's a point in your favor.
    I aim to please.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Well it IS a big deal. When crap like this hits the usual web sites the iHater crowd immediately soaks it up and repeats it ad infinitum. My youngest sees this on a regular basis. He will probably be bombarded soon by his Fandroid acquaintances with "The Nexus 7 is more popular than the iPad, ha ha ha. Apple is going down." They instantly latch onto any tidbit of negative "news" and repeat it as indisputable fact. 

You are way too emotionally involved if you are concerned with what your child thinks of Apple.