Google caught using misleading report to claim Nexus 7 outsold iPad in Japan

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I aim to please.

I really am not sure what your aim is frankly.  I tried being honest with you and give you frank advice. You took it defensively.  

I hope you figure out exactly what you want and why you are upset. Or perhaps, simply stepping away from this forum for a few days to cool down may help. It seems that nothing people say on here will give you want you desire today.   Respect? Attention? I don't know what you REALLY want.

• Reply 62 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You are way too emotionally involved if you are concerned with what your child thinks of Apple.

Has it occurred to you that maybe their child received an expensive and high quality Apple product as a gift from their parents? An item that they cherish, take care of and take pride in that it was given to them by their parents knowing they spend extra money on a quality product over a cheap knockoff? 

Or more likely you just don't care or give much thought to how in tune you kids are to decisions their parents make in life and leading by example.  My parent does not value originality and high quality, they just buy the cheap knock offs.  So why should I strive for originality and high quality in what I do in life? Its ok to copy other's ideas instead of coming up with your own new ideas and its ok to take short cuts because no one notices or appreciates polish. Why try for something new  and better? I'll just turn the crank. The fact is the revolutionary product ideas and quality that comes out of Apple sets the bar high and should be admired by old and young alike.  A society and culture that could care less about creativity, IP protection, original thought, and quality.   I think many of us know which society and cultures I am referring to.. It just makes me barf. 

• Reply 63 of 103
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Has it occurred to you that maybe their child received an expensive and high quality Apple product as a gift from their parents? An item that they cherish, take care of and take pride in that it was given to them by their parents knowing they spend extra money on a quality product over a cheap knockoff? 

Or maybe you just not care or give much thought to how in tune you kids are to decisions their parents make in life and leading by example.  My parent does not value originality and high quality, so why should I strive for originality and high quality in what I do in life? Its ok to copy other's ideas instead of coming up with your own new ideas and its ok to take short cuts because no one notices or appreciates polish. 

Bwa ha ha ha. this makes me smile or laugh or whatever. Instead of telling the kid "No matter what they say, its their own opinion. Enjoy what you have", prolly you'll say "Tell them Apple is the best company in the world ... yada yada yada stats." Hail Apple!

• Reply 64 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Bwa ha ha ha. this makes me smile or laugh or whatever. Instead of telling the kid "No matter what they say, its their own opinion. Enjoy what you have", prolly you'll say "Tell them Apple is the best company in the world ... yada yada yada stats." Hail Apple!

thats right.. remind me again why a troll like yourself comes to sites like this?    "No matter what they say, its their own opinion. Enjoy what you have." I like that. And writing to the editor about what they wrote  "And the only one who really cares is you DED.?"

Now, why are you here again? I am sure you would make a great parent with values like these. 

• Reply 65 of 103
    snova wrote: »

Or more likely you just don't care or give much thought to how in tune you kids are to decisions their parents make in life and leading by example.  My parent does not value originality and high quality, they just buy the cheap knock offs.  So why should I strive for originality and high quality in what I do in life? Its ok to copy other's ideas instead of coming up with your own new ideas and its ok to take short cuts because no one notices or appreciates polish. Why try for something new  and better? I'll just turn the crank. The fact is the revolutionary product ideas and quality that comes out of Apple sets the bar high and should be admired by old and young alike.  A society and culture that could care less about creativity, IP protection, original thought, and quality.   I think many of us know which society and cultures I am referring to.. It just makes me barf. 

The only way a child would think all of those things when his parents purchase a Nexus 7 is if he reads AppleInsider and doesn't have anything but an echo chamber between his ears.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    Hi all,

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but Apple never releases store sales of particular items and/or for particular countries.

If so, then how can one expect to know what these sales figures are and how would anyone know whether combined with other country sales, the Japanese iPad sales actually did exceed Google's Nexus sales. Just saying, if they don't publish sales figures, you can't fault the competition for ignoring them.

Welcome to the forums!:D

You are quite wrong. If they know they are not counting major sources of sales then making a comparison is very dishonest. They either need to account for those sales or be upfront about the obvious holes in this study. A few of the posters here seem to be defending google by saying everybody does it. I don't like being deceived.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    relic wrote: »
    My sisters husband works for Omega, I can get last years model for 60% off. I only have 4 though, my sister has like 12 now. If anyone is interested just send me an IM along with the model number and I'll see what I can do.

I'm not a big watch person but I seem to get a lot of them as presents. Here is my favorite in my collection;

Are you really selling used watches?
  • Reply 68 of 103

Quote:

The only way a child would think all of those things when his parents purchase a Nexus 7 is if he reads AppleInsider and doesn't have anything but an echo chamber between his ears.

you dont really think much of kids or how perceptive they are, do you? You either dont have kids (which is good) or you are completely hands off on raising them (which would be sad for them).

• Reply 69 of 103

Google and Samsung deserve each other! :)

• Reply 70 of 103
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Citing a favorable market study report done by an independent outside party is hardly unusual. Apple cites favorable studies and properly ignores unfavorable ones. For example IDC reports are both in and out depending on how it reflects on Apple. Ford, GM, Toyota and Hyundai all trot out various and sundry market research reports to prove they lead in this segment or that, even sometimes appearing to be at odds with a competitors leading claim. It's simply typical business and advertising.

No particular reason that it's newsworthy when companies use studies that shine on them whether it's Google or Apple or GM doing the crowing.

Holy crap this post just gave me diabetes it's so sugar coated.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

This is just a silly opinion and brings nothing new to the thread that hasn't already been said a 100,000 times before.

What do you expect?  It's a Apple-centric site. If you don't like it, then to go an Android-centric site and read the silly opinions of Android users.  The article is just basically saying that Google was misleading people on sales figures, that's basically the crux of the article.  To me, it makes me feel the guys running the site are a little desperate for something write about and this would generate some Anti-Android comments, which is fine by me.

• Reply 72 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Oh, they didn't think highly of their users, are they? Feeding this bullshit?
  • Reply 73 of 103
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

My sisters husband works for Omega, I can get last years model for 60% off. I only have 4 though, my sister has like 12 now. If anyone is interested just send me an IM along with the model number and I'll see what I can do.

I'm not a big watch person but I seem to get a lot of them as presents. Here is my favorite in my collection;

I don't think anyone is interested in what watches you and your family wears.  You seem like someone that is trying to impress everyone with your money. sorry, but it's not impressing me.  Maybe you should take your non-Apple related comments elsewhere.  Your comment DEFINITELY should be classified as an off-topic, silly comment that should be filed under "Who cares".

• Reply 74 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    A few of the posters here seem to be defending google by saying everybody does it. I don't like being deceived.

You hit the nail on the head. Bizarrely, those posters like to be deceived and think nothing about it, might even think higher of themselves in the process (I'm objective, I'm neutral, I'm not a fanboy .. Yadda, Yadda). I always find those extremely funny.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

I got a book idea for you: Parenting the Florida Way. Just put stuff like you're saying in it. When you get interviewed, just play it straight. Have you seen Errol Morris's documentary, Vernon, Florida? That's the tone you'll be aiming for.

I'm just glad my dad snagged a 12-record Wurlitzer when he was servicing cash registers in rural Iowa. It's in the background of my 2rd birthday pictures, 1944. It took a 78 record out of the stack, swung it over the turntable, and let it down easy, then brought the tone arm over and down. Amazing mechanism, when you looked in from the back, all rods, bearings and springs, an early robot. He wired around the nickel counter, so all you had to do was push the buttons.

I didn't follow him into small mechanisms, went into rebuilding air-cooled flat fours later, also amazing machines. Some would call them small mechanisms, so maybe my point is what you set your kid up with absolutely stays with him or her through life, deeper than you know. Of course, if you care so little that you lay trash on him, maybe it means you got trash when you were a kid, or you missed the lesson up to now.

Remember the lesson Steve Jobs's dad told him about finishing the back of the cabinet, the part that no one sees?
  • Reply 76 of 103
    matrix07 wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head. Bizarrely, those posters like to be deceived and think nothing about it, might even think higher of themselves in the process (I'm objective, I'm neutral, I'm not a fanboy .. Yadda, Yadda). I always find those extremely funny.

If they were going to be objective they would admit that if its news for google to cite these reports then its certainly legitimate to report on the fairly obvious fact that those reports are useless. Except to deceive.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    snova wrote: »
    you dont really think much of kids or how perceptive they are, do you? You either dont have kids (which is good) or you are completely hands off on raising them (which would be sad for them).

flaneur wrote: »
    I got a book idea for you: Parenting the Florida Way. Just put stuff like you're saying in it. When you get interviewed, just play it straight. Have you seen Errol Morris's documentary, Vernon, Florida? That's the tone you'll be aiming for.

I'm just glad my dad snagged a 12-record Wurlitzer when he was servicing cash registers in rural Iowa. It's in the background of my 2rd birthday pictures, 1944. It took a 78 record out of the stack, swung it over the turntable, and let it down easy, then brought the tone arm over and down. Amazing mechanism, when you looked in from the back, all rods, bearings and springs, an early robot. He wired around the nickel counter, so all you had to do was push the buttons.

I didn't follow him into small mechanisms, went into rebuilding air-cooled flat fours later, also amazing machines. Some would call them small mechanisms, so maybe my point is what you set your kid up with absolutely stays with him or her through life, deeper than you know. Of course, if you care so little that you lay trash on him, maybe it means you got trash when you were a kid, or you missed the lesson up to now.

Remember the lesson Steve Jobs's dad told him about finishing the back of the cabinet, the part that no one sees?

I know kids are impressionable. They tend to have brand loyalty for brands used by their parents. What brand loyalty doesn't bring in tow are the absurd social connotations being attached here.

For example, I prefer to drive Hondas when one suits my needs because my mom and dad always drove them. I loathe American cars and would never buy one, but I don't think people who drive them are scum. I think they're either uninformed or have priorities that don't make sense to me.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

"Apple shipped about 773K iPad units versus about 350K Nexus 7 units for Asus."

hmmmmm....  are you implying that shipping more units might be an indication that you are selling more units??

Sacrilege!!

• Reply 79 of 103

Quote:

I know kids are impressionable. They tend to have brand loyalty for brands used by their parents. What brand loyalty doesn't bring in tow are the absurd social connotations being attached here.

For example, I prefer to drive Hondas when one suits my needs because my mom and dad always drove them. I loathe American cars and would never buy one, but I don't think people who drive them are scum. I think they're either uninformed or have priorities that don't make sense to me.

really, I would have pictured you as a Hyundai buyer. They look just like Hondas designs, are just as reliable, get better gas milage according to the window sticker, and cheaper. The name even sounds like Honda. "Hondie" image   Hope you see what I did there to bring it full circle back to the Nexus 7 vs iPad.

Even the model name have similar meaning:

Accord = bring into harmony

Sonata = A composition for one or more solo instruments

• Reply 80 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Do no evil, eh?

More like Do know evil.