Survey: 95% of developers working to support iOS 7, over half will require it

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    I don't think I've ever seen a comment thread with more confusion or misdirection. This is like the conversations you see in the chats of League of Legends explaining fundamentals to the 8-year-olds playing PVP after only a week.

TL;DR: *facepalm*
  • Reply 22 of 77
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    patsu wrote: »
    Wrong ! It's also supported on even older iPhones and iPads.

Yes, no fragmentation. :-)

Apple take good care of their customers.

EDIT: Now imagine the potential market of the new apps. Practically all of them, not just the newer models.

What part of 'full' didn't you understand? Older devices will get a crippled version stripped of features.
  • Reply 23 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Can the lock be overrided by putting the iPhone in DFU mode? Doesn't DFU bypass the OS?

DFU mode will allow a restore, but the activation lock still pops up after it reboots. No iCloud credentials, no activation. :)

I really wish we already had this. I was at my cousin's wedding reception last night, and someone stole 8-10 phones from guests that had them laying on tables. From the sounds of it, the huge majority of them (if not all) were iPhones. My other cousin said nobody stole her phone, and it was in plain sight sitting on her purse. Then she says it's a Samsung Galaxy (of some sort). I politely told her that's why she still has her phone. Nobody steals Samesung phones, no matter how "good" they are. She just chuckled. 

• Reply 24 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

What part of 'full' didn't you understand? Older devices will get a crippled version stripped of features.

I'd rather have a majority of new features from a major update than none at all (Android, WP). 

When you factor in custom UIs from the various Android manufacturers, features are a scattered train wreck from brand to brand. Good luck getting a feature you love between the various options without the NEED for 3rd party. 

It's amazing how none of this was ever a topic of conversation before the iPhone came along... Updates for phones?! Who does that?

• Reply 25 of 77
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    *cough* bullshit *cough*

A 'redesign' and yes many devs could make you pay again for the app.

http://m.tuaw.com/2013/07/19/how-willing-are-you-to-re-purchase-apps-for-ios-7/
  • Reply 26 of 77
    My daughter wants to dump her Samsung phone for iPhone. She claimed the apps always shows up on iPhone first. She hated the wait. Also Samsung discounts makes product un-cool/cheap/unfashionable. [High class items never discount!]
  • Reply 27 of 77
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

This would be better news if the App Store kept each app's last version to support older iOS/hardware. Few things are more frustrating than trying to put apps on a wiped 3GS, and getting version errors after the password prompt.

joeliu58 View Post

My daughter wants to dump her Samsung phone for iPhone. She claimed the apps always shows up on iPhone first. She hated the wait. Also Samsung discounts makes product un-cool/cheap/unfashionable. [High class items never discount!]

The discount thing is pretty shallow (and completely in line with school social rules), but now she knows how Mac gamers feel!

• Reply 28 of 77
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

When you factor in custom UIs from the various Android manufacturers, features are a scattered train wreck from brand to brand. Good luck getting a feature you love between the various options without the NEED for 3rd party. 

As long as it's available from somewhere.

Quote:

It's amazing how none of this was ever a topic of conversation before the iPhone came along... Updates for phones?! Who does that?

Updates have been a big deal for their owners, since smartphones first came out.  

Can't speak for Symbian, but Blackberrys got updates.   Windows Mobile phones sometimes went through several major versions.

A really big one was the update to Windows Mobile 5, which added persistent storage support.  (Prior to that, everything was kept in battery powered RAM.  If your phone went dead, you lost all your info and had to resync.  No kidding.  A real pain.)

Only certain phones could upgrade, because it required flash memory to implement, so it caused a lot of people to buy a later model.

• Reply 29 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Going to have to get McCain ask Tim Cook for a big iPhone for us

Nobody f*cking listens to that old coot.  He was just coincidentally commenting at a time when the feature was already planned.  

McCain has been irrelevant since the 1960's. 

• Reply 30 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

iOS 7 will run on iPhone 4 and 4S as well as iPad 3rd gen. Some features of iOS7 may not function on the older products but that was true of iOS 6 when it came out too. 

There is not another company on the planet that supports as old of phones and tablets with current updates as Apple. I am typing this on a 2006 vintage MBP so I certainly am not disadvantaged by Apple's forward progress. My iPhone and iPad are the latest models, but I don't expect to need to replace them next year or the year after that. 

Quit your whining! Jeez!!!

Besides which, if the new iPhone Cheapo is a reality, anyone on older than 5 hardware will be able to upgrade to an iPhone 5 class device with the large screen and full iOS 7 support for practically nothing.  

• Reply 31 of 77
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    soloman wrote: »

I did see the word "full" but it is irrelevant.

As long as the old phones can run iOS7, there is no fragmentation. The apps will just run with a more limited feature set. Even if it's the same hardware and OS version, the users may turn off certain features (e.g., for privacy). The apps will have to handle these exceptions.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    vorsos wrote: »
    This would be better news if the App Store kept each app's last version to support older iOS/hardware. Few things are more frustrating than trying to put apps on a wiped 3GS, and getting version errors after the password prompt.

If it's so frustrating, I would think the user will check the version details on the app's AppStore page before downloading.

It should be possible to copy the apps from iTunes or iCloud backup too.
    The discount thing is pretty shallow (and completely in line with school social rules), but now she knows how Mac gamers feel!

Run Bootcamp.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Remind me what devices will be iOS 7 update-able?

No fourth generation iTouches, anything else?

Here is a useful chart showing which devices are supported by which iOS version (iPhone OS 1 to iOS 7):

http://iossupportmatrix.com

• Reply 34 of 77

First, go home, visit Apple's website and learn the names of their products. Then you can come back and comment on this site. Realize there is no such thing as an "iTouch."
  • Reply 35 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

As long as it's available from somewhere.

Updates have been a big deal for their owners, since smartphones first came out.  

Can't speak for Symbian, but Blackberrys got updates.   Windows Mobile phones sometimes went through several major versions.

A really big one was the update to Windows Mobile 5, which added persistent storage support.  (Prior to that, everything was kept in battery powered RAM.  If your phone went dead, you lost all your info and had to resync.  No kidding.  A real pain.)

Only certain phones could upgrade, because it required flash memory to implement, so it caused a lot of people to buy a later model.

I think you're being a bit pedantic here.  I had lots of Windows Mobile devices and PocketPC's before that as well as a host of smartphones.  

The fact is that almost no one (I would say less than 10% certainly), updated their phone or pocket device before Apple came out with the iPhone (with the possible exception of Palm users where maybe 30% did), and now Apple users pretty much all do it on a regular basis.  

• Reply 36 of 77

Quote:

You're just being an a-hole.  Apple has better, and longer tail support than any other vendor. Period. 

Every Apple iOS based device you buy is guaranteed to run the OS it came on, plus all the updates, plus the next OS that comes out, plus all the updates.  All for free. No one else does that.  

Additionally, the three most ubiquitous devices they have made so far, (the iPhone 3Gs, the iPhone 4, and the iPad 2), all run a third version of the OS and all the updates for that as well. 

Considering how rapidly the platform is evolving, and that a few years ago most of these devices didn't even exist, this is excellent support. 

The vast majority of Android devices that have been made over the same period have *never* seen a single update.  Not one.  Most are thrown out, or break, or the company goes out of business, or they are discontinued as products before an update becomes available, or before the user figures out how to do it. 

• Reply 37 of 77
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

iPhone 4 and up are compachi, iPad 2 and up are golden too… iPod Touch 5th and up…  and that's all folks!

• Reply 38 of 77

Quote:

Yeah, the iPhone 4 won't be able to use Siri or the 4" screen graphics (like always). You realize you're talking out of your arse. iOS7 will bring many new features to older phones. Android phones don't even give you the option to do security updates. They would rather you buy a new phone.

• Reply 39 of 77

Quote:

That what would mean a complete rewrite and many will charge again for their app.

So, do you Misinformation much? Or just here at AI?

• Reply 40 of 77

Quote:

Full iOS 7 will only be supported by iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen, iPad 4 gen, and iPad mini. So much for support of older devices and fragmentation.

More like, "So much for facts and opinions based on reality…"

Again, do you Misinformation much? Is it a mistake, or are you LYING ON PURPOSE?

I direct you to scroll near the bottom of THIS page at APPLE.com: 

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

What does that say about compatibility? M-hmmmmm?