Survey: 95% of developers working to support iOS 7, over half will require it

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The Knowledge Navigator wasn't a real project.  It was a fantasy video made for an educational convention to make it look like Apple was working on such things.   As the director of the educational marketing group inside Apple who made the video noted,

"NeXT claimed to be focused exclusively on the higher education market. Many of the higher ed(ucation) influencers and decision makers were saying that Apple had no vision for its future product line. John Sculley was scheduled to be the keynote speaker at Educom, and the stakes were high for us to show some “vision” of where Apple was going."

As for intelligent speech assistants, they go back at least to the 1960s with the Star Trek and Space Odyssey computers, which could hold a conversation, initiate calls, and correlate data upon request.

Well, I don't see any video made by Samsung, Google or even Microsoft that dates back this far with anything similar in product that's similar to what we can actually buy today.  Apple didn't want to put out a PC Tablet like product due to size, battery life, not as easy to use, and they required a stylus, so Apple waited to put out the iPad, which is FAR more successful than a PC Tablet.  Apple could have easily put together an OS X tablet, but it probably wouldn't be as successful.  It would be cool, but probably not as successful.

• Reply 62 of 77
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member

Just for old time sake...

The Mac's desktop and desk accessories metaphor were introduced to the public in 1984.

According to wiki, the Knowledge Navigator was described in Sculley's book in 1987.

The Newton PDA and its Soup filesystem development also started in 1987. 

Apple-ARM worked together to release the ARM6 chip in 1992 for Newton (Apple owned part of ARM).

QuickTime multimedia platform, and speech recognition R&D started when Dr. Kai-Fu Lee arrived in Apple around 1990. 

But it was only done on the Mac since clearly the old ARM CPU wasn't powerful enough. I was in grade school at that time but I recognized the technologies.

Jobs killed Newton in late 1990s but reinvented it as iOS/iPhone in 2007.

iPad in 2010. The same ARM company supplies the CPU powering iOS.

Siri came in at 2011.

But along the way, many companies chip in.

• Reply 63 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

The Mac's desktop and desk accessories metaphor were introduced to the public in 1984.

According to wiki, the Knowledge Navigator was described in Sculley's book in 1987.

Apple-ARM worked together to release the ARM6 chip in 1992 for Newton (Apple owned part of ARM).

QuickTime multimedia platform, and speech recognition R&D started when Dr. Kai-Fu Lee arrived in Apple around 1990. 

But it was only done on the Mac since clearly the old ARM CPU wasn't powerful enough. I was in grade school at that time but I recognized the technologies.

Siri came in at 2011.

Yeah, and Apple introduced a daisy chainable i/O port for keyboards called ADB before USB.  Developed Firewire, and was first to integrate ethernet in a personal computer.  They also had voice recognition integrated in the OS, first to support plug n play hardware, multiple monitor support dating back to the introduction of the Mac II. First to integrate SCSI in a personal computer (I think), actually they integrated networking with AppleTalk before they ditched it for ethernet, did laser printers with postscript, integrated a search engine in the OS first. integrated widgets into the OS first (even though they didn't invent widgets).  They integrated Cover Flow.

• Reply 64 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

Siri came in at 2011.

God I mis Watson/Sherlock, I wish they would update it and reintroduce it.  I don't use widgets on OS X anymore, so if they got rid of widgets for OS X. I wouldn't miss it.

• Reply 65 of 77
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Wow, my 4S can't use Camera filters. Guess ill just use Camera+. Crippled for sure.

So let me get this straight, you're bragging that a 3rd party dev was able to get camera filters to work but Apple's army of programmers couldn't? That's something to be ashamed of not to go around bragging about.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    kalltkallt Posts: 13member

It's a shame that developers jump on the bandwagon so quickly. iOS 7 may be broadly available on a range of devices, but the early tests on older devices strongly remind me of my experience with my iPhone 3G and iOS 4: painfully slow and crash-prone. In addition, iOS 7 looks terrible on an iPhone 4 (my device) without the gaussian blur and neither the parallax effect is enabled. For older iPhones this will be a tradeoff, and this announcement has only made it worse. I could very well live with iOS 6 in the foreseeable future, perhaps even with a jailbreak (for the first time) to get some of those major iOS 7 features.

• Reply 67 of 77
    Hopefully that's not 95% of App developers plan to redo their apps in the eye-bleeding color scheme of iOS 7. Because I'm pretty happy with most of my apps now.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    I just read that the iOS 7 beta for the aging iPhone 4 is a lot zippier now.

I also think that Apple might have gone with the types of icons to see them better in direct sunlight. Can anyone running a beta of iOS 7 validate or invalidate this?

Thanks.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    soloman wrote: »
    It's just in fine print that's easy to miss.

You're completely and utterly wrong. Shut up and admit it.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Full iOS 7 will only be supported by iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen, iPad 4 gen, and iPad mini. So much for support of older devices and fragmentation.

There are unsold Android phones sitting on store shelves or in warehouses that will never receive another OS update.

No, the iPhone 4 will not be able to use ALL of the features of iOS 7, but how many 3-year-old Android phones will receive an OS update of ANY kind?

This is one of the many reasons I decided to finally get an iPhone 5 a couple weeks ago. Apple products provide lasting value and usefulness. I wish I had gotten one sooner.

• Reply 71 of 77
    You're completely and utterly wrong. Shut up and admit it.

How could I admit it if I'm busy shutting up?
  • Reply 72 of 77
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The Knowledge Navigator wasn't a real project.  It was a fantasy video made for an educational convention to make it look like Apple was working on such things.   As the director of the educational marketing group inside Apple who made the video noted,

"NeXT claimed to be focused exclusively on the higher education market. Many of the higher ed(ucation) influencers and decision makers were saying that Apple had no vision for its future product line. John Sculley was scheduled to be the keynote speaker at Educom, and the stakes were high for us to show some “vision” of where Apple was going."

As for intelligent speech assistants, they go back at least to the 1960s with the Star Trek and Space Odyssey computers, which could hold a conversation, initiate calls, and correlate data upon request

OK, whatever you call it, whether a 'fantasy video' (disparaging its validity) or a "concept brief" (perhaps enhancing its validity), I think it's fair to say there is a pretty direct and measurable trajectory from that presentation to products like the iPad. It's frankly undeniable.

So, whatever was said, or occurred, or was thought of or even tried in-between (even referring back to 'ancient' sci-fi), the trajectory is still clear. 

The ideas summarized in the Knowledge Navigator video, whether original ideas or not, helped to define the trajectory that ultimately brought us here, holding a device known as the iPad (or more generically, the "tablet"), with its multi-touch interface and easy navigation of all the knowledge publicly available...

It only reinforces how well Steve Jobs could sense the direction things would take.

Finally, that video wasn't intended to mislead people into thinking these were products Apple was actively working on. It was intended to illustrate or demonstrate how Apple thought, how they imagined the potential of technology, and that they were steering their R&D in that direction. Although there may not have been specific products like it, this was "the future according to Apple". I think they did get it pretty much right in the end, no?

• Reply 73 of 77

Quote:

So let me get this straight, you're bragging that a 3rd party dev was able to get camera filters to work but Apple's army of programmers couldn't? That's something to be ashamed of not to go around bragging about.

"Bragging"? "Ashamed of"?!?

Wow, your negativity, snarky tone, and aggressiveness is getting pretty old. Are you capable of chilling out even a little?

Besides, Camera+ is an awesome camera filters app (in addition to other features). A very cool app overall. We don't expect Apple to write EVERY SINGLE COOL APP we would ever want to use. That's asking a lot, and would waste the power of the iOS ecosystem. Apple provides the PLATFORM, and some good basic apps. Then they let the creative developer community take it and run with it. That's why we get to say, "there's an app for that". 

Why do YOU have a problem with that again, exactly?

• Reply 74 of 77

Quote:

How could I admit it if I'm busy shutting up?

I'm guessing that in TS's view, you would accomplish it simply by shutting up. He could be right about that.

• Reply 75 of 77
    I'm guessing that in TS's view, you would accomplish it simply by shutting up. He could be right about that.

If people would just be willing to try things out–like shutting up, for instance–they could see for themselves. :p
  • Reply 76 of 77
    If people would just be willing to try things out–like shutting up, for instance–they could see for themselves. :p

You should really practice what you preach.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    soloman wrote: »
    You should really practice what you preach.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox_Wink.gif