South Korean government expresses concern over Obama's veto in Apple-Samsung patent dispute

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member

Probably not necessary to keep saying "THE Obama administration".

I think you can just call it "the U S government" (you know... kinda like you refer to the other side as "the South Korean government")

• Reply 22 of 102
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More and more of us every day.

Apple must protect their interests and start the process of building up their own manufacturing.

Apple's interests are protected even if they use Samsung for manufacturing simply because Samsung = Greedy. They wont say No to a good source of Income :D

• Reply 23 of 102
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the South Korean government has shown concern that the company's patent rights may be negatively affected ...

Could be worse.  Far worse.  Google blew $12.5 billion on Motorola Mobility thinking they could user Moto's patents for something, anything, against Apple.

Better to stop the abuse of FRAND-encumbered patents before it spreads to all industries.  Glad to see it.

• Reply 24 of 102
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Now if we can only get Samsung's hands out it's government's pants...

The Obama Administration has done what is right. Take a look at the article published here yesterday to see who the bad guy is. Samsung has revoked it's licenses and betrayed the trust in manufacturers and standards bodies so they could double dip with exorbitant rates. Apple already paid for the chip that had the licensed patents. Samsung must not be allowed to ask 2.4-2.7% of an entire finished device. It makes absolutely NO sense.

I hope other manufacturers and customers see this unethical behavior and isolate Samsung like Apple is doing.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Apple's interests are protected even if they use Samsung for manufacturing simply because Samsung = Greedy. They wont say No to a good source of Income :D

Agree.  They only look and act crazy.  Deep down inside, Samscum's management are cold calculating business droids.

• Reply 26 of 102
    I'm still trying to figure out how Infineon, the company that made the 3G radios that are in these products, doesn't have a license to 3G technology and isn't getting their pants sued off instead of their customers.

Oh wait, it's because Infineon isn't in direct competition with Samsung in the phone market, and because Samsung and Infineon have been both indicted and convicted of collusion and price fixing together.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I don't shop at Best Buy anymore. They have a Samsung store. Screw 'em.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Now if we can only get Samsung's hands out it's government's pants...

The Obama Administration has done what is right. Take a look at the article published here yesterday to see who the bad guy is. Samsung has revoked it's licenses and betrayed the trust in manufacturers and standards bodies so they could double dip with exorbitant rates. Apple already paid for the chip that had the licensed patents. Samsung must not be allowed to ask 2.4-2.7% of an entire finished device. It makes absolutely NO sense.

I hope other manufacturers and customers see this unethical behavior and isolate Samsung like Apple is doing.

After the Veto the US govt. told Samsung could pursue this case if they wanted in Court.

I doubt they would because they already did before, and this was thrown out of court.

They were trying there luck with the ITC. And what a blow, they first get there hopes up thinking they would win a ban on Apple, and then get disappointed later.

• Reply 29 of 102
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Wouldn't it be interesting if in the future the tech industry refused to grant SEP status to Samsung tech? Seriously, would you want to work with a company that will throw their crooked government at you if they felt like screwing you over?
  • Reply 30 of 102
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member

To the South Korean Government:  Is Samsung applying lube prior to shoving its fist up your a$$?

Shame on SK for being Samsung's puppet.  Spending even five minutes to look at the details of the case would shed enough light that they should tell Samsung to go f$@k themselves.

• Reply 31 of 102
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    As Samsung has lost over a billion dollars in market value, the South Korean government has shown concern that the company's patent rights may be negatively affected following a presidential veto in its U.S.-based intellectual property dispute with Apple.

what's the relevance of the loss? large companies, apple included, lose and gain massive amounts of market value here and there every day. mr. oliver writes about the loss and then, in the same sentence, jumps into patent rights. the loss is never mentioned again. what's the connection? or did you just have a spare comma to use up before it expired and decided to throw two unrelated group of words into that first sentence?
  • Reply 32 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

My confession for today. It may sound childish but I have already stopped buying anything that has Samsung name on it.

My latest purchase? SONY Bravia TV. Love it. Used to believe in Samsung products but no more.

And, I am absolutely sure I'm not the first or only one out there.

A little bit off topic. Sony is not a good alternative to Samsung. In fact, some of their manufacturing is shared.

Panasonic plasma displays don't just offer the best price/performance, but offer the BEST performance bar none (with the rare exception of the ninth generation Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma).

Following Panasonic are Samsung's plasma displays.

Sony's LCD/LED displays don't even make the list.

• Reply 33 of 102
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Nobody has even mentioned the fact that Samsung tried to ban Apple products in the EU based upon their 3G SEP, but were strongly warned about the legality of doing so thusly they removed their attempts.

Now if only the US could regulate SEP based banishment cases like the EU does.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

Do a search on "samsung ceo convicted felon" and you begin to understand why this company just operates in the brazen, shameless fashion that it does.  Such as saying, in so many words, "Our phone and tablet designs are unique and original, the resemblance to Apple products is something you are imagining."

Also, all countries can be accused of being homers in some way or another, U.S. not exempted, but some take it to a different level.  Do a search on "boxing seoul olympics cheating".

• Reply 35 of 102
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    "Oh, I'm sorry, maybe you'd prefer to be a little closer to your northern neighbors. No? Ok let's stop the posturing and whining."
  • Reply 36 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

Panasonic plasma displays don't just offer the best price/performance, but offer the BEST performance bar none

Agreed.

• Reply 37 of 102
    Sorry South Korea should learn to compete fairly. America is not their country (an now America is not ours, just so you guys know I'm British!). If you create a standard to be used on something you cannot expect to hold others to ransom no matter how big. I've said this before but I'll reiterate

Data and voice transmission over mobile networks are kind of essential standards unless you want people to have to have the same phone as their friends to ensure they can talk and send stuff

Interface touches like smooth scrolling,rubber banding, size, shape and style of icons and text are not essential. Neither is voice control or a device.

The days were you can copy people until you can make your own novel products are gone.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

My confession for today. It may sound childish but I have already stopped buying anything that has Samsung name on it.

My latest purchase? SONY Bravia TV. Love it. Used to believe in Samsung products but no more.

And, I am absolutely sure I'm not the first or only one out there.

I just talked somebody at Sears out of getting a Samsung refrigerator. It is copying there as well, and the quality is not as good as some of the other companies like GE, Whirlpool, or Kitchen Aid. 

• Reply 39 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    tbell wrote: »
    I just talked somebody at Sears out of getting a Samsung refrigerator. It is copying there as well, and the quality is not as good as some of the other companies like GE, Whirlpool, or Kitchen Aid. 

Ummm. . . apparently those nice high-end French door GE refrigerators are actually built by Samsung and just re-badged as GE (at a slightly higher price). Look at 'em side-by-side and it will be evident. Or you could just do a web search.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

A little bit off topic. Sony is not a good alternative to Samsung. In fact, some of their manufacturing is shared.

Panasonic plasma displays don't just offer the best price/performance, but offer the BEST performance bar none (with the rare exception of the ninth generation Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma).

Following Panasonic are Samsung's plasma displays.

Sony's LCD/LED displays don't even make the list.

For LED/LCD, I would go with Sharp (and did go with Sharp). The problem with Samsung with televisions is Samsung is notorious for putting on display a TV whereby it manufactures the display with good quality. It, however, outsources a large portion of the panels it uses, lots of times from no name China manufacturers. So, you can view three Samsung sets with the quality being different for each. Many of the online forums complain about the panels looking different at home then they did at the store. 

Sharp has been making displays longer than anybody. It has gotten into some legal battles with Samsung over IP theft. Further, Sharp builds all of its displays. I am very happy with the quality of my Sharp set. With that said, I did see a beautiful Panosonic set recently.