Apple announces 'Takeback Program' for counterfeit USB power adapters

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

So you would rather a few people die so you can make a few extra dollars.

It's not even as if that's true. There's no way Apple's chargers cost $10 to manufacture, so they're still going to make a profit. And good PR means more sales, so there's really no downside to this move from Apple, except for the hard-liners bleating about "moral hazard."
  • Reply 42 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gtr wrote: »
    Doesn't Samsung already have a 'Takeback Program'?

Samsung should take legal action!

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. Samsung has a KICKBACK program.

My bad.

And MS has a KICKSTAND, though that one fell down nonetheless.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    We ye all quit your whining.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Name ANY other phone maker that would even remotely do the same thing in Apple's position... you listening Samsung??

Samsung is the one producing the counterfeit adapters in the first place.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by backstab View Post

Just watch. Somehow this will get spun as Apple admitting fault for the counterfeit charger electrocutions.

You're correct and that's the problem with such a campaign.   It's a tough call for Apple.  

The part I don't understand is why is anyone using a 3rd party adapter (unless they purchased a 2nd or 3rd adapter for use in other locations, like work)?   Doesn't Apple supply one legit adapter with each device all over the world?

I bet these cheap adapters weren't even purchased at retail: I bet they were purchased from street vendors.  

• Reply 46 of 60
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Samsung does use a standard charger.

In fact, they use Apple's:

Thanks for clearing that up.

That's odd.  When did Samsung start to use Apple's charger?  Couple months ago, I was at my friend's house and my iphone ran out of battery, but his Samsung charger couldn't charge my iphone.  I'll have to check again.  I'll be able to save some money if I can use Samsung charger for my iphone.

• Reply 47 of 60
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

...despite the fact that Apple had to do nothing about replacing any of these non-genuine chargers for individuals who feel obliged to save a dollar and answer their phones after just stepping out of the shower, covered in water, while having it plugged into a lethal, electrical power source.

Let me sum it up for you:

Apple did nothing wrong here and STILL offered to address the issue.

Good customer service, yes?

Chance to make some profit too!  Hope it'll raise the stock by a dollar or 2.

• Reply 48 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ipen wrote: »
    gtr wrote: »
    Samsung does use a standard charger.

In fact, they use Apple's:

Thanks for clearing that up.

That's odd.  When did Samsung start to use Apple's charger?  Couple months ago, I was at my friend's house and my iphone ran out of battery, but his Samsung charger couldn't charge my iphone.  I'll have to check again.  I'll be able to save some money if I can use Samsung charger for my iphone.

Instead of trying to save some money, why don't you try to save your life?
  • Reply 49 of 60
    What a joke! Apple will take back and dispose of the 3rd party charger that you purchased. Well, at least they will replace it with an official Apple charger for free or at cost, right? WRONG! You can buy a charger from them for $10. How is this a good deal for we consumers -- especially given the fact that most of these 3rd party chargers work just fine?

This is a great way to throw away a perfectly good charger and your money PLUS line Apple's pockets even more by buying a new charger from them. Thanks but no thanks, Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    [quote name="Dan Meyers" url="/t/158896/apple-announces-takeback-program-for-counterfeit-usb-power-adapters/40#post_2375145"]How is this a good deal for we consumers [/QUOTE]

Your [I]previous[/I] stupidity doesn't end up KILLING YOU or DESTROYING YOUR IDEVICE. :no:

Are you freaking kidding me?

[QUOTE]…a perfectly good charger…[/QUOTE]

Don't come back in six months complaining how your iPhone got fried, then.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Every problem in the World is Apples fault of course
  • Reply 52 of 60
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan Meyers View Post

What a joke! Apple will take back and dispose of the 3rd party charger that you purchased. Well, at least they will replace it with an official Apple charger for free or at cost, right? WRONG! You can buy a charger from them for $10. How is this a good deal for we consumers -- especially given the fact that most of these 3rd party chargers work just fine?

This is a great way to throw away a perfectly good charger and your money PLUS line Apple's pockets even more by buying a new charger from them. Thanks but no thanks, Apple.

so this douchebag joined Apple insider just to say that , how many more posts can we expect I wonder , waiting for #2
  • Reply 53 of 60
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Samsung is the one producing the counterfeit adapters in the first place.

I have both.  In real life, they don't look very much alike.  The Samsung one has a nice flange to grab hold of.  The Apple one has that grey inner area.  There's no way to mistake one for the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

The part I don't understand is why is anyone using a 3rd party adapter (unless they purchased a 2nd or 3rd adapter for use in other locations, like work)?   Doesn't Apple supply one legit adapter with each device all over the world?

Apple doesn't provide a charger with the iPod touch, for instance.  Just a USB cable.

And golly, I sure wish Apple used a mini-USB like the rest of the planet, so you could use anybody's charger while you're out and around.    Or maybe be really cool and come up with a port that takes both theirs and mini-USB.

If anything will hurt their "cheaper iPhone" chances in emerging countries, it'll be requiring Apple cables that might be hard to keep or find.

• Reply 54 of 60
    kdarling wrote: »
    There's no way to mistake one for the other.

Samsung would take that as a great compliment.
    And golly, I sure wish Apple used a mini-USB like the rest of the planet, so you could use anybody's charger while you're out and around.

Refer to any of Solipsism's posts on this to know why you're wrong in wanting that.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    kdarling wrote: »
    I have both.  In real life, they don't look very much alike.  The Samsung one has a nice flange to grab hold of.  The Apple one has that grey inner area.  There's no way to mistake one for the other.

Apple doesn't provide a charger with the iPod touch, for instance.  Just a USB cable.

And golly, I sure wish Apple used a mini-USB like the rest of the planet, so you could use anybody's charger while you're out and around.    Or maybe be really cool and come up with a port that takes both theirs and mini-USB.

If anything will hurt their "cheaper iPhone" chances in emerging countries, it'll be requiring Apple cables that might be hard to keep or find.

Is it true that Samsung phones get software updates about as often as their chargers?

;)
  • Reply 56 of 60

I would mostly agree with you but some people are getting knockoff chargers bundled with "region shifted /gray market" iPhones. And I personally paid a normal price for what I thought was a real Apple charger in a Moscow "Apple"-ish store and it turned out to be a fake. I'm not saying that everyone is being fooled and certainly some (many) people will buy anything they can plug a USB cable in and charge their phone without thinking twice. I have even noticed that on some planes the USB ports are poorly grounded or are under/over voltage causing weird behavior with my phone. One amplified the sensitivity on my touch screen so much that I could interact with it even with my fingers an inch away. 

• Reply 57 of 60
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned that 1) Apple's chargers are made in China anyway and 2) out of 250 million plus worldwide iPhone sales, only two incidences of these "faulty" chargers are assisting Apple in reaping a windfall off of their brand Chinese made chargers. The only difference is that they are reaping the reward.

Definitely agree with Joe that they will be utilizing the trade in numbers to figure out what market share they are losing, but with Apple being as litigious as they are, I'm sure it will be used in the courts more than as a learning experience.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

with Apple being no more litigious than anyone else...
  • Reply 59 of 60

I thought that the family of the fellow in the coma and the young lady had insisted that the chargers were not fake. Apple responded initially by saying  'It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a "knock off" or counterfeit charger and we are looking into this further."  but to date they have neither denied or confirmed if either were fake. Does it really take 3 months to confirm if a product is genuine?

Just because a charger is an original there is no guarantee that some wont be dud. All products are manufactured to have an "acceptable" failure rate.

There have been reports of genuine Apple chargers catching fire, eg the iphone charger used to charge an ipad

There is no reason to assume that an Apple charger is any safer than a belkin one but I would rather not leave a pound shop charger plugged in all of the time.

• Reply 60 of 60
    Its not only the fake plug in devices. I had two original USB lighting chords fail and one shocked my son and me. There are hundreds of complaints on the accessory reviews of this 1 m cable, and we are not the only ones getting shocks. We have iPad retina tablets with lightning chargers, and they do not hold up. I cut open the chord to see what was going on, and I found bare wire and brown discoloration. I went to the local store to buy knockoffs, because of the poor quality of the originals. Our BB knockoffs seem to be holding up, but Apple needs to address their chords as well.