Apple announces 'Takeback Program' for counterfeit USB power adapters

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a post to its support webpage on Monday, Apple announced a USB Power Adapter Takeback Program to give customers access to "properly designed adapters" after two people were electrocuted in China.

Adapter
Image of authentic Apple adapter. | Source: Apple

Starting Aug. 16, customers with concerns about their USB power adapters can take the unit in question to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, where the component will be disposed of in and "environmentally friendly way."

"Recent reports have suggested that some counterfeit and third party adapters may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues," Apple's support page, which is viewable in English or Chinese, says. "While not all third party adapters have an issue, we are announcing a USB Power Adapter Takeback Program to enable customers to acquire properly designed adapters."

Replacement adapters are being offered at a special price of $10, or approximate local equivalent, when another USB adapter is turned in. The pricing is limited to one per iPhone, iPad and iPod, and will end on Oct. 18, 2013. Customers taking advantage of the offer must also bring in their iOS device for serial number validation.
Customer safety is a top priority at Apple. That?s why all of our products ? including USB power adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod ? undergo rigorous testing for safety and reliability and are designed to meet government safety standards around the world.
The Takeback Program comes as a direct response to reports claiming two Chinese iPhone users were shocked when plugging in a counterfeit adapter. The incidents left one man in a coma, while a more serious case left a 23-year-old woman dead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I know Apple is doing this to do damage-control when some iDiot spends $1 for a knockoff charger and Apple gets bad PR for it. Personally, I don't think Apple needs to do anything. The user tries to save a buck and me as an AAPL owner thinks the stupidity should be solely and the purchaser's shoulder.

Name ANY other phone maker that would even remotely do the same thing in Apple's position... you listening Samsung??
  • Reply 2 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Sad that Apple has to cater to morons that want to cheap out and use this shit. But probably a good move for PR. 

• Reply 3 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Doesn't Samsung already have a 'Takeback Program'?

Samsung should take legal action!

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. Samsung has a KICKBACK program.

My bad.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    It's Apple's fault that Chinese knock-offs are killing people. Kow-tow and apologize. /s/
  • Reply 5 of 60
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    Just watch. Somehow this will get spun as Apple admitting fault for the counterfeit charger electrocutions.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Very nicely done Apple!
  • Reply 7 of 60
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Somehow, the unscrupulous makers of these knock-off chargers will try to scam this takeback program.  Guaranteed.

• Reply 8 of 60
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    am8449 wrote: »
    Somehow, the unscrupulous makers of these knock-off chargers will try to scam this takeback program.  Guaranteed.
    "Excuse me please Mr. Apple Store.
    I have purchased these 47 cases of power adapters (120 in each case). Someone told me they may not be authentic Apple products. Would you assist me, please?"
  • Reply 9 of 60
    @sflocal, LOL, it costs a fraction of 10$ to make (yes the genuine apple one), so 10$ for a replacement is actually profitable, and for the next few months, while people rush to replace their adapter it will bring more profit than that from regulare replacement sales.
  • Reply 10 of 60

oh and on top of that, it's a survey "how many of actuall idevice owners buy crap from not apple", that people actually pay to take pretty much.... Apple's genuine power adapters and usb cables have always been WAY overpriced... it's all part of a good business, and the more u get jaked the better the business.

• Reply 11 of 60
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Doesn't Samsung already have a 'Takeback Program'?

Samsung should take legal action!

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. Samsung has a KICKBACK program.

My bad.

Yeah, $25 for each reseller rep when they sell a high end Samsung smartphone because it's a way for users to get suckered into something.

I used to work for a couple of large Apple resellers, they didn't get involved with spiff programs from what I remember.  IBM did, especially when they were losing market share.  I got a free set of golf clubs and some other crap.  HP had some sales contests. I got a free trip, all expenses paid to Puerto Rico at some fancy resort.  Apple did have a discount program for buying Apple products at a discount, which I took advantage of.   God I miss the perks of working for large resellers. I got so many polo shirts, t-shirts, coffee mugs, pens, paperweights, and other weird free $hit.  I even got NeXT and Apple coffee mugs..  High tech companies spend a bloody fortune on logowear products, it's not even funny....  What a racket.

I remember there was a guy at one of the resellers that did a huge IBM PC deal worth millions of dollars, but he sold it almost 3% margin so he didn't make commission on it, so at a Sales Conference we had, someone from IBM gave the guy a brief case with $10,000 CASH in front of everyone.  It was funny...  CASH!!!!!  This was back in the late 80's early 90's.  Boy, i've got tons of funny stories from those days.  Every time i sold a bunch of Kinston memory, their sales rep would call me up and give me carte blanche with getting memory for my home computers.  I even got spiff program checks after I left one company as they shipped product on my back order log..  Every month I would get some NEC spiff money for about 2 months.  It was cool. 

• Reply 12 of 60
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Even if Apple does profit from this, I still like it. They don't HAVE to do anything.

• Reply 13 of 60
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    am8449 wrote: »

Limit one per device. Must present device to get discount. You can bet their systems will be set to verify that device serial is legit and hasn't been used
  • Reply 14 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Samsung are probably making some of this junk.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    johntanjohntan Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"Excuse me please Mr. Apple Store.

I have purchased these 47 cases of power adapters (120 in each case). Someone told me they may not be authentic Apple products. Would you assist me, please?"

You took the trouble to type out some "funny" occurrence, but not actually read the article beyond the first line? "The pricing is limited to one per iPhone, iPad and iPod."

• Reply 16 of 60
    johntan wrote: »
    You took the trouble to type out some "funny" occurrence, but not actually read the article beyond the first line? "<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">The pricing is limited to one per iPhone, iPad and iPod."</span>
    Doesn't mean some "unscrupulous makers of these knock-off chargers" won't try it...
  • Reply 17 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Doesn't mean some "unscrupulous makers of these knock-off chargers" won't try it...

They would if they were as dumb as you.

• Reply 18 of 60
    First you suggest they won't try it now you say they will?
    Then you toss insults around?
    Grow up...
  • Reply 19 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It's Apple's fault that Chinese knock-offs are killing people. Kow-tow and apologize. /s/

that's right Apple. Fall on your sword for allowing knock-off chargers.

• Reply 20 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe shalakala View Post

oh and on top of that, it's a survey "how many of actuall idevice owners buy crap from not apple", that people actually pay to take pretty much.... Apple's genuine power adapters and usb cables have always been WAY overpriced... it's all part of a good business, and the more u get jaked the better the business.

its just a USB charger. People are free to buy ANY off-brand UL certified USB Charger they like for a smaller price.  If they die, their families can suit the off-brand UL certified manufacturer.  However, the fact is people buy the non UL certified knock-offs that LOOK exactly like an Apple charger so they don't appear to be cheap-skates with an off-brand charger. 

Interestingly this is not yet problem for other manufacturers.  If you Nexus or Galaxy charge die, do people go and buy a Nexus or Galaxy knock-off?  I'm thinking not.