Google's Brin funds $332K lab-grown beef hamburger, looks to make meat a sustainable resource

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Funny the responses to someone trying to help humanity. What has Apple or Tim Cook been working on that helps humanity?

Most likely, like Jobs, many things nunya.
  • Reply 22 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Funny the responses to someone trying to help humanity. What has Apple or Tim Cook been working on that helps humanity?

I wouldn't calling this helping humanity at all.  Sounds more like attempting to preserve a human behaviour that shouldn't be encouraged.

It's getting to the point where even I question science.  That's why I stressed the problem of commercialized science above.  The more we continue on, the more it seems the technological solutions to the problems arising from technology turn out to not be solutions at all.  People joke that a person now has to take a drug to counter the side-effect of the one before it.  Then another drug to counter the side-effects of that one.  And so on.  I don't think it can't just be chalked up to simple greed, either.  I think we are devoid of trust in a broad sense (people have no faith in any institution or our leadership anymore) and we are also seriously lacking in proper leadership.  Far too many of us simply go along with the corporate will so we can avoid the uncertainties of unemployment.

Food for thought.  :)

• Reply 23 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckergus View Post

Agree. It is sad but today in our day and age one must look hard for actual food. Like you said, go to any supermarket and just look. The vast majority of the products being sold are truly what one would call "food-like products." Everything is highly refined and processed --and in many cases altered (with additives, preservatives, hormones, etc). And everyone knows that the more processed the food is the more calories and the less nutrients the "food" has. No wonder we have a society where nearly 70% of the population is overweight (and a lot of them are obese). It is sad but the vast majority of people make their food choices based on taste and not on nutritional value.

I highly recommend anyone to watch on Netflix: "Food Matters," "Hungry for Change," "Forks Over Knives," and "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." These are great eye openers.

good documentaries - yet this experiment was to produce something that would be closer to "nature" not a burger made of refined corn.

for $300K i think it was an interesting experiment.

• Reply 24 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Why is this even being covered by AI? This is insane. If the FDA even thinks about it, the lawsuit lawyers will be waiting in the wings for the first person to get sick.

Lets not experiment or try anything new cos the lawyers might be waiting ?

• Reply 25 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

so... what does it have to do with Apple?

Steve wore real glasses, and was a pescetarian.

• Reply 26 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Vegans and those swayed by crazy govt guidelines like the food pyramid, let them eat such franken-foods. The swathing of land to grow monocultures of grains, beans/legumes, nuts and seeds is doing more to damage land than raising animals that continually fertilise the lands they graze on...

never the less, have you read how many millions of acres are cleared so that we can let cattle graze? If we need more meat, making meat without the suffering or inefficiency of using cattle is not in itself a bad idea, certainly its an idea to be explored 

• Reply 27 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I wonder if the protein is extracted from excrement. Google has a lot of excrement for which they need a solution. This may be a perfect solution for Google.

cant argue with that one...

• Reply 28 of 130

I hope they don't eat that stuff.

Could have repercussions years later.

Why don't they try to clone fish or chicken?

Time will tell.

• Reply 29 of 130
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

And once again we find that Google is evil. Tasteless, fatless beef? What's the point?

I do understand the point they are making however. Raising livestock for beef takes a very long time and enormous amounts of resources. However, I fear that this will just end up driving up the cost of real beef which means we will have to settle of terrible look-a-like patties.

• Reply 30 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I'm waiting for Soylent Green.

I can't imagine this ever tasting good without additives. Growing up on a farm there's nothing tastier than a steak from a freshly slaughtered cow.

how about a cow that was slaughtered many weeks ago, and the steak aged properly?

• Reply 31 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUndertow View Post

I read about this the other day but did not realize he was behind it...gross (and wa$teful).

Might as well be strike 3 for Google...

really wa$teful - yup $300K for an experiment to see if a lab produced piece of beef can be compared with taste and texture to one from kiiling an animal...

wanna see gross - visit an abattoir, slice a piece of meat for yourself and fry it up.

guess you didnt do too well in grade school science

• Reply 32 of 130

Petri dish grown meat has feelings too.

• Reply 33 of 130
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Considering how poorly many animals are made suffer in the name of profit this is probably for the best. It's cheaper to look out for the welfare of a stainless steel tank than to maintain a farm so there's incentive there too. Given the lack of adipose cells it might even be a healthier option. At least until someone decides it's a good idea to process it with saturated fat. Would probably need vitamin fortification.

Interesting to note that the product is being tinted with beetroot juice and saffron. Without tinting it looks pale and unpalatable (because it lacks haemeoglobin). I can't imagine saffron being viable on an industrial scale; I'm sure this is part of romancing the idea (as is the term "cultured").

Farming could be done ethically and sustainably if only the world's population wasn't so great (and growing). We're due for a significant population collapse anyway if we run out of useful antibiotics. These things have a curious way of self-correcting. Immediate comfort is almost always at someone's future expense.

The iPatty?
  • Reply 33 of 130
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Wow, look at all the ignorant technological luddites in this forum. This isn't even GMO, it's essentially just culturing muscle tissue, the same way you culture skin cells for burn victims.  What's more fake, cultured muscle tissue, or cows pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormone and fed minced up brain matter from other cows, you've been eating for decades,

This story has nothing to do with AI, or mobile, the only reason it was linked on this site was to give zealots another stupid reason to try and bash Google. If Steve Jobs had been behind this, everyone would be falling to their knees praising how genius it is.

It's so sad to see people's derangement and bias on one particular issue (favorite company X phone vs opposing company Y), turn into blanket and knee-jerk opposition to anything.

The basic facts of the matter is, eating meat is a tremendous waste of two scarce resources: land and water. Telling people not to eat meat is like telling them not to drive cars. This project is the meat equivalent of an electric car. It's an attempt to preserve  a way of life without preserving the environmental damage.

(And honestly, someone who buys a wasteful and disposable product like a mobile phone or tablet which are constantly obsoleted every 2-3 years should not be criticizing meat eaters for environmental damage, given the toxic waste and human worker suffering produced by buying tech toys)

• Reply 35 of 130
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

"The synthetic beef, which was colored with beet juice and saffron"

Why use saffron? Its the most expensive spice in the world, and just for coloring? Probably to add some flavor too. Anyway, I like this idea of culturing meat, someone should research getting the flavor right next. Could they also culture this stuff in space? Although how would you cook it in a space station.

• Reply 36 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

Wow, look at all the ignorant technological luddites in this forum. This isn't even GMO, it's essentially just culturing muscle tissue, the same way you culture skin cells for burn victims.  What's more fake, cultured muscle tissue, or cows pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormone and fed minced up brain matter from other cows, you've been eating for decades,

This story has nothing to do with AI, or mobile, the only reason it was linked on this site was to give zealots another stupid reason to try and bash Google. If Steve Jobs had been behind this, everyone would be falling to their knees praising how genius it is.

It's so sad to see people's derangement and bias on one particular issue (favorite company X phone vs opposing company Y), turn into blanket and knee-jerk opposition to anything.

The basic facts of the matter is, eating meat is a tremendous waste of two scarce resources: land and water. Telling people not to eat meat is like telling them not to drive cars. This project is the meat equivalent of an electric car. It's an attempt to preserve  a way of life without preserving the environmental damage.

(And honestly, someone who buys a wasteful and disposable product like a mobile phone or tablet which are constantly obsoleted every 2-3 years should not be criticizing meat eaters for environmental damage, given the toxic waste and human worker suffering produced by buying tech toys)

Thank you.

I just read that 70% of the deforestation in the brazilian Amazon was for pasturing, compared to 3% for logging.....

• Reply 37 of 130
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

This is really misleading though.  

All the advertisements for the process like this one show hamburger that looks just like hamburger, but every report by anyone who has seen it or eaten it, describes it as "grey," "slimy," and that it tastes "not very much like beef."

This is really just false advertising.  Synthetic meat is just not very likely to be a replacement for real meat for a long time.  

Like most Google projects ...this is more "pie in the sky" than it is meat on your barbecue. 

• Reply 38 of 130
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I hope they don't eat that stuff.
    Could have repercussions years later.

Why don't they try to clone fish or chicken?

Time will tell.

The process is pretty much the same as cloning. They are taking cells from a cow muscle and replicating them in a Petri dish. It's similar to how they grow organs in the lab for people to use in transplants.

This means the meat is IDENTICAL to what you eat from the supermarket, except that it hasn't grown with fat and blood to give it the taste or colour of meat. Cells are cells, no matter where they are.

It's an interesting concept. I think it is a good start and certainly worth looking into. We always need innovation and searching for new ways of feeding our increasing population is important.
  • Reply 39 of 130
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is really misleading though.  

All the advertisements for the process like this one show hamburger that looks just like hamburger, but every report by anyone who has seen it or eaten it, describes it as "grey," "slimy," and that it tastes "not very much like beef."

This is really just false advertising.  Synthetic meat is just not very likely to be a replacement for real meat for a long time.  

Like most Google projects ...this is more "pie in the sky" than it is meat on your barbecue. 

The meat is white because it hasn't had blood or CO2 to give it the colour (you know they add carbon monoxide (CO) to your beef so it has that nice red colour at the market). And fat is what gives meat its flavour. This is strictly muscle so there is no fat, hence no flavour.
  • Reply 40 of 130
    Another UFO: Unidentifiable Food-like Object.  That's what I would call food in stalls on the streets of Delhi, Agra or Ahmadabad.

I'd rather chance that than the stuff people like you buy in fast food joints. :-)