Google's Brin funds $332K lab-grown beef hamburger, looks to make meat a sustainable resource

Comments

• Reply 61 of 130
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

1) you're splitting hairs.  I could/should have said "projects that Googlers are interested in." same thing. 

2) anything that's 10 to 20 years out is just futurism and not even worth talking about.  There is all kinds of crap that people *believe* will be happening in 10 to 20 years (space elevator comes to mind) that's absolute nonsense. 

I'm sure that's comforting to people who, 20 years ago got HIV or Cancer and were told there might be a cure in 10-20 years. No need to be interested in, or grant money to, something so far off. If I can't buy it at the Apple Store next quarter, **** it! Hey, it'll take ten years to make and launch a hubble space telescope? **** it. Oh, and it's not profitable!

This is a nutshell is the crux of everything I've been saying about the know-nothing, instant gratitude, obsessed with triviality, Apple zealots on these forums, and what real R&D is about. 

We would have never gotten out of the caves as a species if we couldn't tolerate long term research, long term planning, or delayed gratification. Honestly, I don't believe people really think like this, I think it is disingenuous behavior based on tribalism or cognitive dissonance. Essentially, unwilling to admit that the hero company they've invented so much religious fervor into, is not the single fountain of innovation (and indeed, doesn't actually do much long-term-for-the-benefit-of-knowing research at all and is really much more crassly commercial in its interests), they turn on and attack any news that anyone else is getting the limelight for their good works.

Google could announce a cure for cancer, and people here would be whining about it. It's quite childish.

• Reply 62 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

Google could announce a cure for cancer, and people here would be whining about it. It's quite childish.

You can't even innovate your own comments. This is a standard post that's been thrown around for years regarding Apple. Oh the irony to see someone try and steal it away and apply it to Google.

• Reply 63 of 130
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Surely they would announce it ahead of their earnings report. Delivery date, well that would nor be mentioned, beta forever.

• Reply 64 of 130
    Nice google glass ad placement at the start.
  • Reply 65 of 130
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

You can't even innovate your own comments. This is a standard post that's been thrown around for years regarding Apple. Oh the irony to see someone try and steal it away and apply it to Google.

When people say it about Apple, it's in regard to being disappointed in what they are launching, especially the way Wall Street reacts. The way people in these forums use it is straight-up irrational hatred. 

And it's so ridiculous, Steve Jobs himself would likely roll his eyes over in his grave. Here's To The Crazy Ones, remember? The spirit of innovation is the spirit of taking risks, of doing things that have a high probability of failure, or often of no economic benefit at all. It's why people climb mountains, or fly balloons around the world. The vitriol amongst this community has blinded people to the basic truths of the human condition, leaving them only the ability to react, and to not appreciate the achievements of others.

• Reply 66 of 130
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I just had to post this oldie but goodie...

If this beef produces less greenhouse gases. Did you feel it???

• Reply 67 of 130

Soylent Green begins.

• Reply 68 of 130
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

You do realize that Google has a whole division devoted to charity set up by Larry and Sergey, Google.org. It gives over $100 million in cash

Sure. To this kind of people to fool you fools out there.

• Reply 69 of 130
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Now i understand why i never liked Google much. If any at all. It is the fundamental difference in value and prospective.
  • Reply 70 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by baeder View Post

The idea of eating the synthetic muscle (can one really call it beef?) creeps me out.

If this is the future of humanity ...

There is always Soylent Green... 

• Reply 71 of 130

Quote:

I'm sure that's comforting to people who, 20 years ago got HIV or Cancer and were told there might be a cure in 10-20 years. No need to be interested in, or grant money to, something so far off. If I can't buy it at the Apple Store next quarter, **** it! Hey, it'll take ten years to make and launch a hubble space telescope? **** it. Oh, and it's not profitable!

This is a nutshell is the crux of everything I've been saying about the know-nothing, instant gratitude, obsessed with triviality, Apple zealots on these forums, and what real R&D is about. 

We would have never gotten out of the caves as a species if we couldn't tolerate long term research, long term planning, or delayed gratification. Honestly, I don't believe people really think like this, I think it is disingenuous behavior based on tribalism or cognitive dissonance. Essentially, unwilling to admit that the hero company they've invented so much religious fervor into, is not the single fountain of innovation (and indeed, doesn't actually do much long-term-for-the-benefit-of-knowing research at all and is really much more crassly commercial in its interests), they turn on and attack any news that anyone else is getting the limelight for their good works.

I fart in your general direction... 

• Reply 72 of 130
    This is going to massive. The human race will continue to eat meat, it's what they do as the tribal species that it is. The technology in the video is the only viable solution right now. It's going to prove massive in the next 20 years. Regardless what your views are, when the air turns to smog as a result of the massive increase in farming, most people will change their views and embrace the technical solution. Unless someone comes up with a better alternative. Vegetarianism will not work on a mass scale.
    Regardless of our views, change is coming, so we can either embrace it or be left behind.

Animal farmed meat may even have the stigma associated to it like smoking does today. Very unhealthy dirty habit.
  • Reply 73 of 130
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Put your mouth where your money is, Sergey !

Chow down, clown !
    Soy or tofu preferable to this nonsense.
  • Reply 74 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

When I was growing up, we didn't eat 5lb hamburgers or 30 oz steaks multiple times a week. We were a lot healthier than the fat people today who cram so much unnecessary meat into their bodies it's no wonder they get sick with cancer and diabetes. Eat healthier, don't attempt to grow animal protein for human consumption.

When I was growing up we'd just rip a hunk of hide off a passing dinosaur and called it good. We were a lot healthier then; of course we ate any fat people and no one got sick with cancer and diabetes. We didn't attempt to grow animal protein for human consumption, and, for the most part, stayed away from the snake infested apple tree festooned with iDevices of every kind.

• Reply 75 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavinthain View Post

This is going to massive. The human race will continue to eat meat, it's what they do as the tribal species that it is. The technology in the video is the only viable solution right now. It's going to prove massive in the next 20 years. Regardless what your views are, when the air turns to smog as a result of the massive increase in farming, most people will change their views and embrace the technical solution. Unless someone comes up with a better alternative. Vegetarianism will not work on a mass scale.

I'll bet if you couldn't use "massive" in a sentence, you couldn't say anything.... 

• Reply 76 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Friend, if we believe what the govt (I am not talking about politics,) the media, our teachers, doctors, parents, the odd loose lunatic on the street tells us in such matters as …> medicine, the food pyramid, climate warming, the scarcity of water, of energy, how wasteful raising animals are to the lands, and you or your wife uses a swiffer (sp?) mop to wash floors or use soap out of plastic bottles for laundry (maybe only because its about all one can find now a days) or that brushing and flossing will save all teeth, that we are the only sentient beings in this universe, that the speed of Einstein's light equation is the fastest anything travels, that the universe started from nothing or maybe from something supper scrunched, that people are too stupid to accept explanations of important big ideas that only wheel barrow heads can understand, or that the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate on its way to a frozen hell of lord knows how many mathematical dimensions; then be comfortable,be happy and read no further; I may have been wasting my time in this reply, or someone might be a wee bit curious: You may just live in the box of our times and that is good and such has proven successful over the millennia our species has walked this good earth (though in times of stress and destruction it is the out of box thinkers that have saved our sorry bacon (and then the cycle reverts to the box sitters). Where ever ye stand, or sit; be happy.

< snip >

Namaste and care to all sentient beings across our ever-being, not expanding, conscious, interconnected universe

I want some of what you're smoking!!!

• Reply 77 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

You can reduce the amount of antibiotics in the beef BY NOT USING IT.

Seems to work for every other nation. Here in New Zealand it is illegal to have any trace of antibiotics in the meat or milk. In fact dairy farmers here get fined $10,000 / gram of antibiotics found in milk.

It's really poor quality farming that requires so much antibiotics.

Do they check for melamine too??? 

• Reply 78 of 130
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member

A recent study has found that by eliminating oxygen-wasting nerds, 99% of the space that they previously occupied can be recovered.

• Reply 79 of 130
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rjc999 wrote: »
    When people say it about Apple, it's in regard to being disappointed in what they are launching, especially the way Wall Street reacts. The way people in these forums use it is straight-up irrational hatred. 

And it's so ridiculous, Steve Jobs himself would likely roll his eyes over in his grave. Here's To The Crazy Ones, remember? The spirit of innovation is the spirit of taking risks, of doing things that have a high probability of failure, or often of no economic benefit at all. It's why people climb mountains, or fly balloons around the world. The vitriol amongst this community has blinded people to the basic truths of the human condition, leaving them only the ability to react, and to not appreciate the achievements of others.

You can't be so loosely put together that you would post this stuff seriously, as if you were trying to contribute to a real discussion. Steve "would likely roll his eyes over in his grave"?

Maybe you're not a native English speaker. If you are not, I will take back what I'm about to say: your posts are a mess. You make no sense. You are either being paid to post something, anything, negative, or you need to lay off the meth.
  • Reply 80 of 130
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Wow! I'm gobsmacked at how seriously misinformed a number of you people really are.

Do you realize that the vast majority of the "meat" you eat now is so far removed from animals as to be considered coming from a different species of animal altogether?

Unless you're slaughtering yourself or get it from a local farm where you KNOW that it hasn't been injected with steroids, antibiotics and assorted "juices"... in addition to being manipulated at packaging time to be "just a bit redder and looking fresher"... you are NOT eating meat at all!

Irony: kicking 12 baseball players out of the game for juicing while the fans juice themselves unfettered in the stands! :no: ... so as someone already wrote, have fun with your hotdogs!

Before being pegged as a Google Fan... nothing further from the truth. Look at my past post history! This isn't about Google you tech-blind illiterates.

PS. Again, because they really are good films: "Food Matters," "Hungry for Change," "Forks Over Knives," and "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (props to the first that posted them).