Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Can't Apple just certify Samsung as an "official" rip-off?  Maybe even start an ad campaign based on that.

• Reply 22 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cnocbui wrote: »

That's 2004 people.
    Samsung have been at this a lot longer than Apple:
    That's only 8 years before Apple came up with Passbook.

So who's the copycat?

Passbook doesn't use NFC and why hasn't Sammy released its "passbook" with its first iPhone clone?
  • Reply 23 of 97
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Phil View Post

Samsung may be the best followers in tech. Sure it may not be ethical to blatantly copy a companies every move, but they are making profits. The court's move way to slow to stop them and the patent system is a joke.

If you can't afford Apple, Samesung will probably make a decent knock off product and eventually they will try to incorporate Apple's features as well.

I think I have read from AI that Samsung R&D use iPhones instead of Androids. 

• Reply 24 of 97
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Passbook doesn't use NFC and why hasn't Sammy released its "passbook" with its first iPhone clone?

Possibly because Visa, their ilk and the merchant infrastructure weren't ready?, I don't know, but Samsung were working with Visa on this in 2011 or earlier so it is a bit rich claiming wallet is a clone of Passbook when the evidence is clear Samsung have been on this road a lot longer than Apple.

Samsung and Visa join forces to enable NFC mobile payment at 2012 Olympics
    By Richard Lai posted Apr 1st, 2011
  • Reply 25 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Possibly because Visa, their ilk and the merchant infrastructure weren't ready?, I don't know, but Samsung were working with Visa on this in 2011 or earlier so it is a bit rich claiming wallet is a clone of Passbook when the evidence is clear Samsung have been on this road a lot longer than Apple.

You may be right.  But Samsung engineers probably don't know how to put it in an app until they saw Apple's Passbook.

• Reply 26 of 97
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    tzeshan wrote: »

You may be right.  But Samsung engineers probably don't know how to put it in an app until they saw Apple's Passbook.

Of course not, they can develop their own complete phone OS - Bada - but they couldn't make an app. Makes sense.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Of course not, they can develop their own complete phone OS - Bada - but they couldn't make an app. Makes sense.

And that's why Sammy is using Android. Wait a minute. Sammy can make an app but needs Apple to show them how to make it correctly.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    Just another reason Samsung stinks. This is why I vowed never to buy a Samsung product again. Samsung is crazy for copying apple. I wish Apple was able to do something. Hopefully soon, we can move this company back to it's hometurf of South Korea and maybe eliminate it from North America. You big copycats... Come up with your own stinken ideas! Apple's already made half the things you have. iOS rules, Samsung and Android are a piece of junk. I hope iOS blows you all clean out of the water. I also hope apple sues you for everything you got Samsung.
  • Reply 29 of 97
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Sheesh the state of Google play is funny.
    You ll find apps on there that isn't compatible with your handset even if it's the latest and greatest flagship HTC phone, coz it's made to run on Samsung phones. So eventually you'll end up seeing 25 different passbook apps from every other vendor.

Not much different than carrier specific apps for iOS. Many people can't even install it as per the reviews. :lol:
  • Reply 30 of 97
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Wow!!! Copy cats!! Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Lol. Not in business though.

Now I have more stuff to throw at when I talk about smart with two of my android loving friends. They can't afford an iPhone and the screen is too small. Lol.
  • Reply 31 of 97

Quote:

Because this is why this app works just like Passbook.  If Passbook is the only way a software can do and Samsung has worked on it even longer than iPhone, why Samsung engineers can not finish it before the Passbook last year?

• Reply 32 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    philboogie wrote: »

I'm surprised they don't rename the company 'Gala', 'Fuji' or 'Granny Smith'!
  • Reply 33 of 97
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I'm surprised they don't rename the company 'Gala', 'Fuji' or 'Granny Smith'!

Or 'Ah-pull'
  • Reply 34 of 97
    drblank wrote: »
    I ran into one fellow that had a Droid and he was showing me that face recognition to replace a password log in.  he said it didn't work when he grew a beard.  It was funny or if he shaved his beard.  Plus it takes a while to recognize.

Plus how come the anti-fingerprint-reader trolls never say, "Now when thieves steal your phone they'll cut off your face!!!"? /s
  • Reply 35 of 97

Quote:

What's to patent? The prior art is legion. Anyone would think Apple has invented something new here. Japan has had NFC electronic payments via phone for nearly a decade.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2004-07-22-wallet-phone_x.htm

That's 2004 people.

So who's the copycat?

You can't be that dense. We're not talking about the GENERIC concept of mobile payments. We're talking about Samsung making their App LOOK LIKE Apple's passbook App instead of coming up with their own design.

Quote:

They can develop their own OS but they can't even design a few icons? Not just for Passbook but for the original Galaxy S (which totally ripped several icons from iOS).

• Reply 36 of 97
    Sheesh the state of Google play is funny.
    You ll find apps on there that isn't compatible with your handset even if it's the latest and greatest flagship HTC phone, coz it's made to run on Samsung phones. So eventually you'll end up seeing 25 different passbook apps from every other vendor.

I wonder why they bothered putting it in Google play store if it's only meant for galaxy series.
    Might aswell have bundled it with an OS upgrade.

The reason they did it this way is free advertising to induce Google Play user with competitive phones to but Smarmy phones... "Gee, Smarmy does a better rip-off of iPhone apps than whoever..."
  • Reply 37 of 97
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

More like Apple put a spotlight on an old idea.

Digital wallets and pass books have been around for years.  Naturally, their icons often look similar, since they're supposed to be like a pocket or wallet.  

• Reply 38 of 97

Quote:

oh my GOD enough with this bull*** narrative!!!

No-one is saying or even remotely implying that the CONCEPT of "mobile payments" are an original Apple idea enshrined for the first time ever in Passbook. NO. ONE.

We ARE saying that the method and application as APPLIED BY APPLE in its own unique way (and you cannot deny its approach on both the front and backends are in many ways novel) has been COPIED pretty much whole cloth.

But more to the point, and most specifically, we are talking about the CLONED USER INTERFACE. The most prevalent aspect of this "Samsung Clones Again" message.

Look at the application interfaces side by side. You cannot DENY that Samsung is copying the LOOK AND FEEL of Apple's design yet again. It was all over the news when it first surfaced.

That's the point.  AGAIN: No-one is claiming that Apple invented the concept of the "mobile payment" here. We are saying Samsung copied the PASSBOOK app. How it behaves, the UI and UX, the overall look and feel.

Use your eyes. What part of that do you not get?

• Reply 39 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What's to patent? The prior art is legion. Anyone would think Apple has invented something new here. Japan has had NFC electronic payments via phone for nearly a decade.
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2004-07-22-wallet-phone_x.htm

That's 2004 people.

So who's the copycat?

Honestly, I've not yet found a use case for Passbook. In fact, in cases involving ID or money, I tend to keep it analog.
  • Reply 40 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Honestly, I've not yet found a use case for Passbook. In fact, in cases involving ID or money, I tend to keep it analog.

It has worked great for concert tickets and boarding passes

I just got back from vacation and a good percentage of the passengers were scanning their iphone's passbook app instead of having a paper boarding pass