Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    thedbathedba Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They probably know as much as most of their customers.  NFC? Huh?  What's that?  Most of the Android phone users I know didn't know what NFC was, what it stood for, what it did and if it was in their phone, so obviously it wasn't a reason they bought the product.  Typically for Android users they buy the product because it's cheap or it has a big screen.  

Bingo! We have a winner!

NFC? meeeeh!!!

Samsung's claim to fame? Our phones are bigger than Apple's. Now move along folks. Nothing else to see.

• Reply 42 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

More like Apple put a spotlight on an old idea.

Digital wallets and pass books have been around for years.  Naturally, their icons often look similar, since they're supposed to be like a pocket or wallet.  

Hold up there. "digital wallets" maybe, but NOT "digital passbooks" unless you can demonstrate that. More like hijacking Apple's name of choice to prove your point?

That's the equivalent of saying "touchpad tablets have been around for years, iPad isn't unique". And again, if it's all been done before, why no real market until the iPad? 

An "old idea" perhaps, but clearly since there has been no wide adoption of any single system, no-one has applied it right yet?

However, like I said in my post previous, no-one is claiming Apple invented the "mobile payments" concept. Do we have to go that far to rationalize every time Samsung CLONES an Apple product? In this case we are saying the UI + UX is closely based on Apple's design. Get it?

Similarities in icons are one thing. Have you looked at the two apps side by side? The icons? They go beyond even the "similarities" you highlight above.

These icon concepts are not the only issue.

Only you and cnocbui are trying to spin the context into being about the "original invention of the mobile payment concept"… it isn't. So stop.

• Reply 43 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

It has worked great for concert tickets and boarding passes

I just got back from vacation and a good percentage of the passengers were scanning their iphone's passbook app instead of having a paper boarding pass

That's good to know. I hope I can find some use for it.
  • Reply 44 of 97
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

More like Apple put a spotlight on an old idea.

Digital wallets and pass books have been around for years.  Naturally, their icons often look similar, since they're supposed to be like a pocket or wallet.  

I am not talking about icons.  I am talking about how it works, the user interface. 

• Reply 45 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Honestly, I've not yet found a use case for Passbook. In fact, in cases involving ID or money, I tend to keep it analog.

You haven't received any Target or Starbucks gift cards (for example) then…?

I have, and use Passbook for those. It's pretty cool to whip out the phone to pay using the "digital cards". Not something I'd want attached to my bank account or identifiable sources though.

I'm not ready for that leap of faith yet...

• Reply 46 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tzeshan wrote: »

I am not talking about icons.  I am talking about how it works, the user interface. 

I believe you are referring to what they now call the "UX", or the user experience (something we used to simply call "usability").
  • Reply 47 of 97

Bloomberg reported this morning that

“Apple spent five years and $5 billion to develop a product and it was a revolutionary product,” said Apple lawyer William Lee of WilmerHale in Boston. “Samsung said, ‘We can copy it easily.’ They spent three months to bring a product to market.”

• Reply 48 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I believe you are referring to what they now call the "UX", or the user experience (something we used to simply call "usability").

So this is what UX stands for.  Thanks. 

• Reply 49 of 97
    Oh look, the new nexus 7's GPS stops working after a while. This is being reported on reputable sites. Should I submit news to AI, hoping for attribution? Or assume they'll never post it, which usually happens? GPSgate?
  • Reply 50 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh look, the new nexus 7's GPS stops working after a while. This is being reported on reputable sites. Should I submit news to AI, hoping for attribution? Or assume they'll never post it, which usually happens? GPSgate?

I think this is one serious mistake of Apple for not putting a gps chip inside iPad wifi versions. 

• Reply 51 of 97
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    philboogie wrote: »

Bravo!
  • Reply 52 of 97
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I read about that too.  You know DED will be writing a piece about it.  He, and many of the people here, live for that type of story.

• Reply 53 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think this is one serious mistake of Apple for not putting a gps chip inside iPad wifi versions. 

I think it is more of a mistake that it is not more prominently noted. It only appears on the last line of the specification chart which is about a mile long on the comparison page. And even then, one would have to notice the absence of GPS in the WiFi only model's specs. People probably buy the WiFi only model to save some money because they don't want another monthly data plan. The uses for GPS without a mobile plan are pretty limited anyway so I think Apple leaves out the GPS in part to differentiate the two models and help make the WiFi only model less expensive.

• Reply 54 of 97
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    No Apple patents on this one?

I thought they applied for the geo-fencing part. Probably had to wait for it to become publicly available to add it to a complaint. Also, not sure if Apple has any issued patents in this area. Patents take so long to go through, Samsung can copy it, advertise it, use it, and move on to something else before anything happens with the patents. This whole mess is showing how little protection you actually get from the patents.
  • Reply 55 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think it is more of a mistake that it is not more prominently noted. It only appears on the last line of the specification chart which is about a mile long on the comparison page. And even then, one would have to notice the absence of GPS in the WiFi only model's specs. People probably buy the WiFi only model to save some money because they don't want another monthly data plan. The uses for GPS without a mobile plan are pretty limited anyway so I think Apple leaves out the GPS in part to differentiate the two models and help make the WiFi only model less expensive.

The iPad wifi without gps becomes crippled with some important functionality.  One important example is geotagging.  The camera shots will be lacking location info outside of wifi range.  As a result, the places option in the Photo app will not show these photos.  This is giving a poor UX to me. 

I found my UXs with iPad is worse than the iPhone.  I think this is one important reason iPad sales dropped in Q2 while iPhone rose.

• Reply 56 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    droidftw wrote: »
    I read about that too.  You know DED will be writing a piece about it.  He, and many of the people here, live for that type of story.

Yup, being reported today. The typical "we're aware of the issue and working on a solution" that the other tech's fall back on of course. At least Google isn't denying the problem tho so perhaps a fix is in the works for those having the problem.
  • Reply 57 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The iPad wifi without gps becomes crippled with some important functionality.  One important example is geotagging.  The camera shots will be lacking location info outside of wifi range.  As a result, the places option in the Photo app will not show these photos.  This is giving a poor UX to me. 

I have cellular on all my iPads so I haven't taken any time to consider all the possible issues of not having GPS but I see your point in that case. Do you have an iPhone 5? It has a much better camera than the iPad.

• Reply 58 of 97
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 629member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The uses for GPS without a mobile plan are pretty limited anyway so I think Apple leaves out the GPS in part to differentiate the two models and help make the WiFi only model less expensive.

I use my tablet for navigation with a dedicated gps app with maps on device. Definitely a common use for GPS on tablets. I also use it for hiking in the backcountry with topographical maps. There I need gps but don't expect or need mobile data or wifi.

As an aside I can get a data connection on my wifi only tablet via phone tethering at any time and when I'm on the road the 2 are pretty much permanently paired via BT.

• Reply 59 of 97
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member

Yes, the message is clear: the Samsung experience is every bit as good as the iPhone experience. Customers should note Samsungs even have rubber banding! I know, that's a small point, but being a feature-complete-copy really drives the message home.

The Honorable Lucy Koh should note it, too.

• Reply 60 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

As an aside I can get a data connection on my wifi only tablet via phone tethering at any time and when I'm on the road the 2 are pretty much permanently paired via BT.

Does you carrier charge extra for tethering? If so is the cost more or less than the minimum iPad data plan?

I bought an AT&T LTE wifi hot spot which is $50 a month for 5GB with $10/GB overage and no throttling. I use this just for my MBP when I'm at my vacation home which has no Internet or TV, just 4G, no LTE.