Final iOS 7 beta rumored to arrive next week, GM build to select partners Sept. 5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Yes I also expect the underlying wallpaper to have a significant impact on the aesthetics, the translucent nature of the overall design practically guarantees that IMHO. And beyond that it IS the functionality that will either be compelling or it won't (and I expect it was as always).

People got to live in the now.  icon colors. I know people always want a reason to bitch and complain, but seriously, icons usually change over time and I'm sure they'll improve the icons they get the more negative feedback on.  They've already made some graphic design changes in the beta versions, so I'm not going to stress over some icons. 

i think the benefits are going to far outweigh the icon changes.  

I like the layered look.  I think it's a step forward.

Personally, I think Android icons look very cheap, as does Windows Phone icons.  

• Reply 42 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You should probably hit up Settings/General/Accessibility.

It helps a little like in email but for the rest of the UI such as the app names or even the text within the settings, it does nothing. Even the email text is sort of jacked up since it makes the font larger only in the body copy but the inbox still has tiny gray type. Pretty useless in my opinion. What is also an issue is that so many apps and web pages give you no way to zoom and no way to change the text size.  The Accessibility Zoom feature is a joke. Why they don't allow pinch to zoom everywhere on the device is a mystery to me.

I have not tried iOS 7 yet so perhaps they have improved it.

• Reply 43 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

I admit that there are a few graphics that are lacking. A good example is the crude graphic for the charging battery on the lock screen. Overall it looks amazing. Everything is so crisp and clean now and he colors are vibrant. I love how it looks when you switch between apps or shut down a running app with a swipe. The floating 3D icons are a cute feature but unless you close one eye, they don't look 3D. Perhaps this is a hint that there will be a 3D screen in the not too distant future.

If iOS 7 has a serious rough spot it is the lack of any kind of a file system for users. If you have two apps which can edit text documents there is no easy and consistent way for one app to get at the document you created in the other app. You have to manually send the document from one app to the other in one of several non-logical ways with whatever user interface the designer of each app came up with. There is no common UI for finding seeing all the documents on the device or on iCloud. This is pretty crazy and I expect both Google and Microsoft to make fun of Apple for this over the next year.

Dropbox

• Reply 44 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppAlive View Post

Maybe you should do some research on what people think before you tell him to get over it.

There has already been a poll about iOS 7 and most people like it. It just seems like nobody likes it because all the vocal people are posting online in tech blogs (which shows how meaningful their opinions are when compared to the real world).

On another note, how come Google never lets developers in on beta testing for new versions of Android? This lets developers work with the new OS so they can start updating their Apps. Then when iOS 7 finally ships you'll see a flood of updated Apps shortly after.

Never mind. When Google announces a new version of Android it takes months before anyone gets it anyway, so the developers have lots of time to prepare. /S

• Reply 45 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

If iOS 7 has a serious rough spot it is the lack of any kind of a file system for users.

This is what surprises me the most. Adding a repository folder does not seem like a bad thing. Why would this not be done already? 

• Reply 46 of 66
    mstone wrote: »
    You should probably hit up Settings/General/Accessibility.
    It helps a little like in email but for the rest of the UI such as the app names or even the text within the settings, it does nothing. Even the email text is sort of jacked up since it makes the font larger only in the body copy but the inbox still has tiny gray type. Pretty useless in my opinion. What is also an issue is that so many apps and web pages give you no way to zoom and no way to change the text size.  The Accessibility Zoom feature is a joke. Why they don't allow pinch to zoom everywhere on the device is a mystery to me.

I have not tried iOS 7 yet so perhaps they have improved it.

It is improved somewhat in iOS 7.

What is odd is that web pages in forums on AI. On an iPad in landscape when:
    1. viewing the AI home page
    2. viewing an AI Article
    3. viewing comments after "Jump to comments"
    4. viewing comments after "View All"

Pan/Zoom works as expected for 1-3... It doesn't work at all for 4???
  • Reply 47 of 66
    shighshigh Posts: 27member
    Ive had ios 7 since the start. Forget the colors. Its the animations. Its a lot while not all the things people have wanted as far as functionality. I change my wallpaper every other week from light ones to dark ones n its been really nice as far as results. I wish they would drop the dock bar tho
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Beta 5 works perfectly for me on my IPhone 5 with the exception of the twitter app! It won't refresh or scroll up/down!

Anyone having the same issue!??
  • Reply 49 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Pan/Zoom works as expected for 1-3... It doesn't work at all for 4???

Many web sites use viewport to control the size of display area which kills pinch zooming. 

• Reply 50 of 66
    dalledalle Posts: 21member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

... And beyond that it IS the functionality that will either be compelling or it won't (and I expect it was as always).

I don't think you should underestimate the emphasis people put on the visual impression as part of the functionality - there is a reason Apple pursues "look-and-feel" copycats like Samsung.

Overall, I am disappointed in the graphic design in iOS7 - icons looking like something Microsoft used in Windows 3 - e.g. the "Voice Memos" icon and the toolbar icons in Safari. The Lock screen, the thin font, the dynamic background and frosted overlays are great, and I just hope that that design team is moving on to the other graphic elements before release.

Yeah, I'll upgrade of course, but using the iPhone wont be as enjoyable.

• Reply 51 of 66
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Ok- I will be forced to buy a white iPhone 5S then as iOs 7 has been obviously designed around the white version. Rarely is it ever shown on a black iPhone (look at this article herein) and never has it ever been publicly demoed on one. It's simply too garish against a black phone as it's overly antiseptic and Britishy looking. 

• Reply 52 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Personally, I still think most of the icons are ugly as ****, and don't make sense from either a functional or design perspective. But all the other changes in iOS7 are great, so I'll just suck it up. I guess it's my fault for holding on to some hope that a few of them might be redesigned. I just believed it was unfathomable that they be kept exactly how they are. I just don't get the rationale behind them, something that has never happened to me when it comes to design from Apple. 

I agree 100% but sadly, we will likely get used to them.  I hated both the new Quicktime and the new iTunes icons when they came out but I've gotten used to them.  

Apple's artists would no doubt argue that this means they were right all along about the designs being "beautiful" and that now we finally see it their way.

I would argue that this is just us getting used to them and doesn't mean they are attractive or well designed at all.  

I think the ubiquity of their designs and the fact that we all eventually have to use them (and have to get used to them), blinds Apple to the fact that they aren't always good or attractive designs.  

I think the same is true of that hideous "Mavericks" branding.  The fact that it isn't so horrible as to actually stop people from buying their products or engender some kind of revolt, is not the same thing as saying "this is a good idea."  We don't actually have a choice or a vote here, so to think that we love it just because we still buy it, is faulty reasoning.  

• Reply 53 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

... it's overly antiseptic and Britishy looking. 

This is pretty insulting.  What do you classify as "Britishy"? 

• Reply 54 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppAlive View Post

If you guys think that the icons look better in iOS 7 than iOS 6 then you need your eyes checked.

Functionality? Control panel is the only real new thing,

Techmanmike, it's the basic icon that we don't like and the Windows Phone icons aren't even icons.

The ability to change icons and color scheme would be a welcome surprise for us visual impaired people.

Xx

Control panel? No accessibility options? What are you talking about, there is no Control Panel on iOS and there was always inverse color scheme for the visually impaired people on iOS. Are you sure you've ever used any Apple product? Sure doesn't look like it...

• Reply 55 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip0106 View Post

What are you talking about, there is no Control Panel on iOS

He obviously means the new Control Center, not Panel.

• Reply 56 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm just making a point that he definitely isn't a regular iOS/OSX user as he likes to presents himself... I mean how can you not notice inverse color scheme in accessibility options for the visually impaired people when you need it and you're using iOS?

• Reply 57 of 66
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I've had to go back and forth between 6 and 7 lately. And as much as I dislike some of the icons and can't for the life of me understand why they look so unpolished (camera app, I'm looking at you), all things considered, 7 is a huge visual improvement.

Use 7 for a week and 6 definitely looks dated.

Maybe they'll surprise with some tweaks in the final beta.
  • Reply 58 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip0106 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm just making a point that he definitely isn't a regular iOS/OSX user as he likes to presents himself... I mean how can you not notice inverse color scheme in accessibility options for the visually impaired people when you need it and you're using iOS?

There are many forms and degrees of visual impairment. I am personally acquainted with some common impairments such as far sightedness which causes some difficulty with the very small text, gray on a gray background. I am pretty sure inverse colors would not help because it would then be the inverse of gray on gray, if you know what I mean. There is no reason to criticize a fellow for finding fault with the legibility of some iPhone screens because they are not so easy to read many times. I think your original remarks about no Control Panel was due to your own unfamiliarity with the new iOS 7 features, although it is true that it is called Control Center not panel, it was well understood by most folks, just not you.

• Reply 59 of 66
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is pretty insulting.  What do you classify as "Britishy"? 

removed- self explanatory

• Reply 60 of 66
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Ok- I will be forced to buy a white iPhone 5S then as iOs 7 has been obviously designed around the white version. Rarely is it ever shown on a black iPhone (look at this article herein) and never has it ever been publicly demoed on one. It's simply too garish against a black phone as it's overly antiseptic and Britishy looking. 

Why?

We have iP5s iP4s and iPads of both colors.

The background colors of the Apple-supplied apps match neither colored face of the device.

You can change your lock screen and home screen to approximate the face color.

Possibly, some 3rd-party developers will design their apps so that they match [approximate] the color of the face -- but I suspect that they will be very few.

I can see it being done in some very special cases...

For example: I wrote an app for my friend Sheena Melwani. Sheena is a singer and composer. The app is designed so that the app's startup screen is displayed (along with an activity indicator) for a few seconds while dynamic content is downloaded from the web. The startup screen is a photo of Sheena against a black background. It was quite effective to display that image on an iPhone with a black face -- as the face appeared to be part of the image, This is how it looks on iOS 7 on an iP4S (it actually looked better on an iP1):

Edit: At some point in the not too distant future, we will have a phone and tablet where the entire front surface of the device is an active display with a no-power state retaining whatever color or image the user chooses.

Somewhat further down the line, all the electronics will be contained in the device bezel -- and the display can be wholly or partially translucent. I suspect the first iteration of this will have small, opaque stubs on the short edges of the device -- but the display will run edge-to-edge on the long sides.

Some years KDDI did a series of promotional videos called "Knock! Knock! Ubiquitous". They presented many of the ideas that we see in today's phones and tablets. Unfortunately those videos are no-longer available.