Final iOS 7 beta rumored to arrive next week, GM build to select partners Sept. 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While developers are expected to receive the golden master of iOS 7 at Apple's media event on Sept. 10, one last beta build for testing is rumored to arrive next week.

biggity


Apple will release a sixth beta of iOS 7 to its development community next week, BGR reported on Thursday. The exact day of the week is unknown, but most beta builds of iOS are released on Mondays.

Beyond that, Apple's employees and select partners are rumored to receive an internal golden master copy on Sept. 5. That's expected to be the same software that will be publicly released later in the month.

Apple is expected to hold a media event on Sept. 10 to introduce new iPhones. It's likely that the company will also issue a golden master build of iOS 7 to developers on that same day, with a public release to arrive soon after.

Last year, Apple issued the golden master of iOS 6 to developers on Sept. 12, the same day the company unveiled the iPhone 5 at a media event. iOS 6 was made available to the public a week later, on Sept. 19.

To date, there have been five betas of iOS 7 made available for testing. The most recent build, released on Tuesday, Aug. 6, featured a new setting that allows users to disable access to Control Center from within apps.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 66


    Guys all out there, do you still have complaints of UX and icons of the iOS 7?

  • Reply 2 of 66
    Personally my complaints are:
    1. Panorama feature on block screen not working anymore
    2. I was able to restore the phone (after having it replaced at an apple store with a iOS6 one) but the phone shows a sync error. Backs up ok but wouldn't sink (though iTunes is also beta and mavericks is also beta..)

    Graphically though apple improved readability throughout the OS which is great, also app names are much more readable (they tweaked the type till it's just right).
    Tweaks needed?
    1. When you flip through Safari pages it would be nice, instead of the dull gray background, to have the blurred homescreen image.
    2. When keyboard is active (such as now writing this post) swiping from the bottom doesn't bring up the tray...
  • Reply 3 of 66


    Anyone else on a iP4 and experiencing a sluggish performance of iOS 7 beta 5? While the last beta brought a huge improvement, it still lags here and there. Or should I just wipe the iP4 clean once the final is out and start from scratch? Haven't ever done it, I usually went from iOS 4 -> iOS 5 -> iOS 6 -> iOS 7 beta with just an upgrade.

  • Reply 4 of 66


    I don't much care either way about the icons and other 'unusual' UX choices Apple has made.


     


    What I do care about is as of the most-recent beta / developer preview, there are still a number of bugs and broken stuff that are impacting some developers.


     


    I've got three apps I'm working on transitioning to iOS7, all fairly run-of-the-mill stuff, but there's at least a half dozen problems that I cannot work-around until Apple fixes their flaws. None of them are show-stoppers but all of them make the finished product look imperfect.


     


    FWIW my impression is there's either some disconnect, or some lag, between the group writing the rules (HIG, new interface guidelines) and the group who provide the tools (SDKs).

  • Reply 5 of 66
    I have three kids and a wife that won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors. I hope they suprise us with new icons or I think it won't be as successful as it could be. Only two devices are getting updates to iOS7 out of 12 devices, the two are because of developing testing of our apps. I know that it sounds stupid but the look is very important to lots of people and the graphics that are replacing the old are lacking.
  • Reply 6 of 66

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post


    Guys all out there, do you still have complaints of UX and icons of the iOS 7?



    No. Get over it.

  • Reply 7 of 66
    danielsw wrote: »
    No. Get over it.
    Maybe you should do some research on what people think before you tell him to get over it.
  • Reply 8 of 66

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppAlive View Post



    I have three kids and a wife that won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors. I hope they suprise us with new icons or I think it won't be as successful as it could be. Only two devices are getting updates to iOS7 out of 12 devices, the two are because of developing testing of our apps. I know that it sounds stupid but the look is very important to lots of people and the graphics that are replacing the old are lacking.


     


    Wow......just wow.....

  • Reply 9 of 66
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Yikes, you won't upgrade because of colors?? If that's your gating item, you might have other issues in your life to deal with if you're letting colors get in the way of functionality,
  • Reply 10 of 66
    appalive wrote: »
    I have three kids and a wife that won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors. I hope they suprise us with new icons or I think it won't be as successful as it could be. Only two devices are getting updates to iOS7 out of 12 devices, the two are because of developing testing of our apps. I know that it sounds stupid but the look is very important to lots of people and the graphics that are replacing the old are lacking.

    I disagree! People bitch and moan about the new and less comfortable -- but most will spend a few moments, assess the advantages vs disadvantages -- then move on to iOS 7.

    2 out of 3 grandkids are testing (for me) iOS 7 on their iP4 and iP5 (the 17-year-old granddaughter is just to busy to sacrifice her iP4 for the install). And, 3 out of 3 have iOS 7 on their iPads. They like it -- asked for it, actually.

    I suspect that Apple will" make you a [functional] offer you can't refuse" to upgrade to iOS 7
  • Reply 11 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    appalive wrote: »
    I have three kids and a wife that won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors. I hope they suprise us with new icons or I think it won't be as successful as it could be. Only two devices are getting updates to iOS7 out of 12 devices, the two are because of developing testing of our apps. I know that it sounds stupid but the look is very important to lots of people and the graphics that are replacing the old are lacking.
    Bye bye.
  • Reply 12 of 66

    Originally Posted by AppAlive View Post


    won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors.


     


    Totally psychotic. You sure they're related to you?






    I hope they suprise us with new icons or I think it won't be as successful as it could be.



     


    Never mind; they're related.






    I know that it sounds stupid…



     


    No, "The pineapple is a vegetable," sounds stupid. This is just idiocy. Enjoy your outdated software; I don't want to see you complaining about how apps have stopped working with it.

  • Reply 13 of 66
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    While I don't love the new icons, I certainly don't find them to be a good reason not to upgrade.

    That said, I DO wish that Apple would permit users to change iOS icons on default and third-party apps. It seems to me that allowing user-selected icons would be a straightforward way for Apple to control the initial user experience while at the same time mitigating the backlash that some people have demonstrated regarding Apple's new icon design sensibilities.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppAlive View Post

    I have three kids and a wife that won't be upgrading because of the icons and the colors. I hope they suprise us with new icons or I think it won't be as successful as it could be. Only two devices are getting updates to iOS7 out of 12 devices, the two are because of developing testing of our apps. I know that it sounds stupid but the look is very important to lots of people and the graphics that are replacing the old are lacking.

     

    Well since a recent study found that close to 50% of developers were planning on updating apps to require iOS 7 they may rethink that in the near future.
  • Reply 15 of 66

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post


    No. Get over it.



    I am very much Okay with it brother. Just waiting for bugs fixed.

  • Reply 16 of 66


    Anybody that won't upgrade to iOS 7 ONLY because of the color scheme, and disregards all the functionality should actually just leave the platform. Windows Phone has a pretty straight forward "normal" color scheme, you know like red and blue.......Good luck with that.

  • Reply 17 of 66


    I have many issues still with beta 5 on my iP4


     



    1. Many weird graphical lock ups - mostly on the springboard, and not in apps as much


    2. Ringer volume buttons don't always seems to respond


    3. auto-brightness level still gets locked in way down (almost black)...usually after a re-spring


    4. I still find it is "laggy"..I realize I am on iP4, but I really hope this isn't a repeat of iOS4 on 3G phones


    5. iTunes Match and Music app is crazy..takes forever to "buffer" songs before they start or even switching between songs


    6. weird bug when "remember last playback position" is enabled.  Playback scrubber stays in "saved" position, so it bounces back to that position all the time.


    7. Everything that's sucks data from the web seems slow...even on wifi...like safari engine is having trouble rendering the content


    8. Safari "open pages view" never loads the homepage..always just dull grey...not how they demoed it


    9. switching audio between Bluetooth, dock connection and speaker is very unreliable.  I often need to restart app to get audio to change "ports"


    10. badges are missing...I see the white number of notifications, but red dot is missing often (facebook, mail, messages, etc)


     


    the list goes on....yes I have done a full restore, etc.  I don't know...maybe beta 6 or gm will be huge improvements.

  • Reply 18 of 66
    I admit that there are a few graphics that are lacking. A good example is the crude graphic for the charging battery on the lock screen. Overall it looks amazing. Everything is so crisp and clean now and he colors are vibrant. I love how it looks when you switch between apps or shut down a running app with a swipe. The floating 3D icons are a cute feature but unless you close one eye, they don't look 3D. Perhaps this is a hint that there will be a 3D screen in the not too distant future.

    If iOS 7 has a serious rough spot it is the lack of any kind of a file system for users. If you have two apps which can edit text documents there is no easy and consistent way for one app to get at the document you created in the other app. You have to manually send the document from one app to the other in one of several non-logical ways with whatever user interface the designer of each app came up with. There is no common UI for finding seeing all the documents on the device or on iCloud. This is pretty crazy and I expect both Google and Microsoft to make fun of Apple for this over the next year.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,225member
    After using it on iPad and iPhone since it first went beta I find using iOS 6 feels really weird and I miss so many features. It is like using Tiger after Mavericks, yes I know I skipped four OS X versions in that analogy ... I meant it.

    I can't go into details as I signed an NDA unlike all the folks posting above it seems.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    If you guys think that the icons look better in iOS 7 than iOS 6 then you need your eyes checked.

    Tallest skill is rude as ever and I hope they kick you off this site for good soon.

    Functionality? Control panel is the only real new thing,

    Techmanmike, it's the basic icon that we don't like and the Windows Phone icons aren't even icons.
    The ability to change icons and color scheme would be a welcome surprise for us visual impaired people.

    Xx
Sign In or Register to comment.