Apple to offer 'iPhone 5S' in new gold color and 128GB storage option, insider says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    rogifan wrote: »
    Someone on MacRumors mocked up what a champagne colored 5 design would look like. It actually looks quite nice.

The white contrasts quite heavily with the champagne - sometimes that has a nicer effect. I imagine they'd have matching lettering on the metal rather than silver.

1000 1000
  • Reply 62 of 84

Gold? Gross.

• Reply 63 of 84

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple NEEDS to release a 5" gold-plated iPhone with a diamond encrusted home button.

• Reply 64 of 84
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The white contrasts quite heavily with the champagne - sometimes that has a nicer effect. I imagine they'd have matching lettering on the metal rather than silver.

I like that first one even more.

• Reply 65 of 84
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

for what it's worth:

http://iphone.91.com/news/jrrd/130815/21598865.html

http://www.ctocio.com.cn/cloud/316/12690816.shtml

http://tech.ifeng.com/digi/mobile/new/detail_2013_08/15/28653007_1.shtml

Not sure if these links will work, since i'm sitting in my hotel room in Beijing searching the Chinese news tech rumor mills.

Oh, here's some shots if the links don't work:

• Reply 66 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Someone on MacRumors mocked up what a champagne colored 5 design would look like. It actually looks quite nice.

13600131.jpg

Exquisite!

I agree. (And, nice word -- haven't heard it used in a while!).

• Reply 67 of 84
    That gold phone is FUGLY. guess people with gold teeth will love it tho....
  • Reply 68 of 84
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Gold as in a titanium nitride coating to protect the notoriously scratch and ding-able iPhone 5's aluminium body from such damage...maybe? Might just replace the silver version if true, if not then maybe they'll clear-coat the silver version or something to provide a level of scratch resistance for its aluminium body.

PS. Champagne gold with ivory coloured glass might look a bit nicer, more integrated than the white.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    antkm1 wrote: »

Some of the cases have to be mods like these:

http://www.anostyle.com/order-now
    http://www.goldgenie.com/in/gold-iphone-5.php

I would think any gold parts would be a custom mod. I quite like the deep colors shown on that first site:

I'd have liked that in the iPhone 5C (not two-tone) and these would also replace the iPod Touch. It would need something to be radio transparent but the iPod Touch works fine with the extra plastic bit on the back.

As for the green case, it's interesting that the picture there has a white logo and text now because the other cases shown before had black. This strongly suggests some of these are 3rd party. Apple likely wouldn't put black logos on the back of a green phone if it had a white front and the colored models would have a white front.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Marvin wrote: »

1000 1000

Yep I'm sure the logo and letting would match the champagne color. Not sure what I think about the first mockup. It almost makes the phone look antique or kind of dirty. But is the white too much contrast? Will be interesting to see if any of this pans out come September.
  • Reply 71 of 84

Goldmember: I love gooooooold.

• Reply 72 of 84

Nice to see that AI is finally back to some good old, product-related rumor-mongering.....

Yea. The drought is over!

• Reply 73 of 84
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Gold as in a titanium nitride coating to protect the notoriously scratch and ding-able iPhone 5's aluminium body from such damage...maybe? Might just replace the silver version if true, if not then maybe they'll clear-coat the silver version or something to provide a level of scratch resistance for its aluminium body.

PS. Champagne gold with ivory coloured glass might look a bit nicer, more integrated than the white.

They are anodizing the aluminum cases currently and as far as I know and in the future.  I think it's a cost issue. PVD coating is more expensive than anodizing, plus it might be easier to do in China since they might not have the equipment plentifully available.  PVD processing equipment isn't cheap, but anodizing is dirt cheap to do.

I would love it if they used PVD coating.  They could actually get REAL 24K Gold sputtered with Titanium Nitride, but they could also do Titanium Oxide coatings which are really cool.

PVD coating is done in special tanks and they are only so big and can cram only so many products per tank load.  Since they are making these things by the tens of millions, it would probably take a LOT of large tanks to do these things fast enough and it may not be feasible due to the number of cases they can fit in a tank load and how many tanks are available.   Those tanks are RIPPING expensive to purchase.  Anodizing is just basically dunking in a big tank of a chemical. 

I believe that the large tanks for PVD coatings can cost upwards of $1 Million bucks per tank.  They will charge somewhere around $800 per tank load but they can only cram so many parts in per tank load.  To do anodizing, it's just buying a big tank to put a chemical in it, the tank itself may cost in the low thousands, and they fill it with cheap chemicals and then just dunk the cases in it.  To set up a plant to process PVD coating as many cases as they do would probably cost so much money, it would take them decades to recoup it. Anodizing is just the most common way to color aluminum.  There is also chrome plating, but I think that might be more expensive since they have to polish the aluminum before hand and during the plating process they have to polish each part and there are more steps involved, at least to do a decent job.

They can get that rich gold look to aluminum by anodizing, but it's not as durable as PVD.  PVD is probably the most durable as they use it for drill bits and cutting tools to help keep the sharpness of the cutting tool.  It's cool stuff, but it's just too expensive for large production runs of this nature.  If Apple was only selling tens of thousands, they probably do that, but it would be more costly.  Powercoating is another thing that could be done, but it's also more expensive than anodizing, from my experience.

Have you ever priced a titanium nitride drill bit to one that isn't?  They are a LOT more expensive.  They hold their sharpness longer, but at a lot higher cost for the actual part.  For certain applications, it's cost effective.  But for other applications it's just too costly.

• Reply 74 of 84
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    [quote]BTW... after none if these predictions come true... will anyone interview KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo to ask "what were you thinkin' bro?"[/quote]

Of course not, they will be proclaiming that Apple has once again fallen short of EVERYONE's expectations and disappointed Apple fans and left room for the competitors to catch up.

And then everyone else will rush to market with what they think Apple should have included only to fall short of the level of user experience that we expect from Apple devices. and next year when Apple does implement those missing features they will be done right and will be touted as the way everyone else SHOULD have done it all along.

And the pendulum keeps swinging, try to keep time please.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    thttht Posts: 5,447member

re: 128 GB storage

If Apple is going to have 60 fps or 120 fps 1080p video recording, you'll need that 128 GB and then some.

I'm tempted. I have 64 GB. It's been great not having to worry or manage my storage space. 128 GB would be awesome, especially if the "5S" storage configs are 32/64/128 for the traditional subsidized 200/300/400 USD price points (650/750/850 unsubsidized). If lossless audio becomes a real option, I'm sure there will be audiophiles who'll want it too.

• Reply 76 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sammy just announce the Galaxy S 4 Gold edition.
  • Reply 77 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sammy just announce the Galaxy S 4 Gold edition.

Gold colored plastic?

• Reply 78 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As much as I like Apple products some people take this BLING BS a little too far.

Actually, I like the Silver aluminum, but with a black front bezel.

Oh well, we'll never be totally satisfied.  (with a hint of sarcasm) :-)

• Reply 79 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Gold colored plastic?

Silver-colored, actually.

• Reply 80 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Silver-colored, actually.

A silver colored Gold Edition?  Oh, OK. I forgot, it's Samsung we're talking about....

I still think the Padfone is the funniest product of the last 12 months.  PADFONE!  YES!

I watch that product release, it's about the funniest piece of comedy ever done by a tech company.