'iPhone 5C' expected to replace iPhone 5, while Apple's iPhone 4S will live on

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 110
    gatorguy wrote: »
    FWIW I found several references to the report already this morning across various websites.

    EDIT: and another Forbes article today quotes Juniper Research. It claims that "the smartphone market is moving away from the ultra-premium to the ultra-economy." and that several competing OS's are set to impact iOS and Android share in developing countries.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2013/08/19/in-emerging-markets-new-competition-for-apple-android/

    Perhaps Apple agrees and already sees the writing on the wall. Price is becoming more important than premium build?

    What are you talking about?

    For some people, price has always been more important. They bought crap Android phones last time. Nokias before that. They buy crap Chinese phones. They will continue to do so, irrespective of who writes the software on their phone.

    Alternatively, they might upgrade to a "premium build" phone. The likelihood someone will downgrade is very small, at most they may put off an upgrade.

    iOS (and "premium build" Android phones) have crap market share in emerging markets. More crap cheap phones aren't going to make any impact except for on crap cheap Android phones. And Blackberry. Because any disruption in any market hurts Blackberry.

    "The writing on the wall" spells DOOM for Google, not Apple. Apple can only increase their pitiful sales in these markets. Google can only lose "sales".
  • Reply 62 of 110
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I hope this is wrong and they finally dump the 4S. Two lines - 5C & 5S both coming with variable flash memory levels to cover the price range from what was the iPhone 4 to iPhone 5, and be done with it. It seems to be the most logical thing to do, why keep around obsolete long in the tooth technology? (iPod Classic excepted)
  • Reply 63 of 110


    Yep, makes sense. Always about this time before a release the rumors and predictions and leaks get so 'convulted' that even Jony Ive couldn't make them simple.

  • Reply 64 of 110

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 1983 View Post



    I hope this is wrong and they finally dump the 4S. Two lines - 5C & 5S both coming with variable flash memory levels to cover the price range from what was the iPhone 4 to iPhone 5, and be done with it. It seems to be the most logical thing to do, why keep around obsolete long in the tooth technology? (iPod Classic excepted)


    Excluded You Mean?

  • Reply 65 of 110
    Can't wait until 2014, lets face it the 5 series line of iphones are just plain goofy looking, the only reason they made the screen taller was to accommodate a taller battery to power LTE not because people wanted a bigger screen. Iphone6 will bed the true all new iphone6 with reduced bezel & an on screen home button much like the one seen on the ios car screens. Looking forward to a more proportional iphone6 in 2014!
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Yeah, there's one more. Note that it and the 2 were sold for more than $400, too.
    Are you stupid? Why are trying to argue facts?
    ONCE AGAIN: you seem to think you know WHY they didn't, which I find interesting, given that 1. You also "don't care" and 2. You don't seem to want to explain how you know that.
    woody_looking_around_while_buzz_chokes.gif
    Apple couldn't afford to sell a Retina iPad for $400 for the same reason you can't afford to get a job cleaning toilets.
    iPhone 4. iPhone 4S.
    You're being a moron again.
    Yet.
    At least it's true.
    Might want to read up on what a strawman is. Asking for someone to explain how they know something ? strawman.
    That's not what you were doing.
  • Reply 67 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,302member
    timmydax wrote: »
    Analysts' analysis is speculative conjecture

    Surveys are historical fact, but the sample population determines the legitimacy of the findings

    I don't think anyone here is comparing this analysis with that survey and finding them equally probable. Calling the survey "analytics" does not reinforce your point, it makes you look foolish.

    Perhaps you aren't considering that surveys can be manipulated (or just poorly planned) and skew results? I would think that both the questions to be asked and resultant data are analyzed. What that analysis can help determine is how valid the survey is.

    So I don't think applying analytics to survey creation and results is foolish at all. Companies like this make a business of it:
    http://www.surveyanalytics.com/
  • Reply 68 of 110
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jnjnjn wrote: »
    The cost of the shell is something Apple wants to get rid of, hence the iPhone5C. So the cost is real and big enough to act upon. If Apples advertising is to be believed (and why not) the part is 'machined' into existence and this is time consuming and thus costly.
    The iPhone5C is probably almost as cheap as the iPhone4S because it uses last years components (if rumors are to be believed) and components for the iPhone4S will be more expensive in the future because no one will make them.
    This makes it very likely that the iPhone4S is discontinued, but as someone mentioned, it could be that it is continued as long as it takes to fill the gap with 5C's.

    You could have just said that you don't have any idea what you're talking about and you're just pulling things out of your butt and saved a lot of words.

    The cost of the case is only a small percentage of the cost of the phone. Yes, it's machined, but that doesn't mean that it costs more than a few dollars. It's also clear that a device with expensive internals and a cheap case could be more expensive than one with cheap internals an an expensive case. That's all I was saying - which refutes the person who claimed that a phone with a plastic case couldn't be more expensive than one with a metal case.
  • Reply 69 of 110
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,330member
    This sounds ridiculous. They definitely need to kill off the 4S, so they can unify screen sizes and connectors. Why the hell would they want to sell a single 3.5", 30 pin connector device for another year? ALL their current phones need to be discontinued, replaced with the 5C and the 5S.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    The iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 are made from aluminum, too.

    I thought the exterior metal band around the 4 and 4S was stainless steel.
  • Reply 71 of 110
    slurpy wrote: »
    This sounds ridiculous. They definitely need to kill off the 4S, so they can unify screen sizes and connectors. Why the hell would they want to sell a single 3.5", 30 pin connector device for another year? ALL their current phones need to be discontinued, replaced with the 5C and the 5S.

    Maybe the cost is lower. But I agree that it's unusual since they already moved the base model iPod Touch to the 4" screen. But the 4S is still a terrific product.
  • Reply 72 of 110
    timmydax wrote: »
    "The writing on the wall" spells DOOM for Google, not Apple. Apple can only increase their pitiful sales in these markets. Google can only lose "sales".

    You mean "activations."
  • Reply 73 of 110
    It makes sense to me.

    Why would they keep the 5 if it has the same internals and the 5c? People would just buy the 5 which is a "premium" yet older phone instead of buying the 5c.

    And then you have the 4s that does not compete with either 5s or 5c ad fills the role of cheap iPhone without doing anything really.

    The 30 min connector argument is a no issue for me.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,302member
    timmydax wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

    I was talking about the Forbes article and the claim made by Juniper Research.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post



    It makes sense to me.



    Why would they keep the 5 if it has the same internals and the 5c? People would just buy the 5 which is a "premium" yet older phone instead of buying the 5c.



    And then you have the 4s that does not compete with either 5s or 5c ad fills the role of cheap iPhone without doing anything really.



    The 30 min connector argument is a no issue for me.


    This is exactly right. It has to be that way. The 5C replaces the 5, as functionally it is the same exact phone. And the 5S is the latest and greatest. And if the the 5C is actually cheaper than the iPhone 4 & 4S to make/sell at an 8 GB capacity, they have no need of keeping either of those two phones, as they can comfortably sell an 8 & 16 GB iPhone 5C at $0 and $99, subsidized. The carriers will love it too, because if the full price is $449 to $499, they can subside the hell out of it, easily. The carriers absorbs all the real savings on a lower cost iPhone, because the consumer is still paying $0 or $99 as before. Unless of course you buy it off contract at full price...then you are the one doing better than with the 4 or 4S. But, everyone does better just because its a 5C.


     


    And of course, the last two major devices Apple sells with 30 pin connectors would be history. Not counting the more minor iPods of course.

  • Reply 76 of 110
    This article's headline is misleading. Since it doesnt mention the 5S, it seems to imply that the 5C will be the flagship. The article helps to clarify this, but the headline is still misleading.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Originally Posted by windwalker View Post


    Are you stupid?


     


    Well, you've lost. Thanks!






    Why are trying to argue facts?



     


    Maybe post some facts? You've yet to.






    Apple couldn't afford to sell a Retina iPad for $400 for the same reason you can't afford to get a job cleaning toilets.



     


    If you're physically incapable of explicitly stating your own position, perhaps you should reconsider it?






    At least it's true.



     


    Why does that matter? It's wholly irrelevant to anything we're actually talking about.


     


    Why are you unable to answer questions about your own opinions? Why are you unable to answer questions about things that, according to you, SHOULD be readily proven fact? I need an answer for this. Answer.

  • Reply 78 of 110
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    Uh, they sell the 4, 4S, and iPhone 5 in China.  I believe AI even posts when they go on sale here.



     


    Your post says you're in St. Louis, so "here" obviously doesn't mean China. That leaves me having no idea what you mean when you talk about them going on sale here.

  • Reply 79 of 110
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member


    Here's my uninformed prediction:


     


    iPhone 4S free w/ contract


     


    iPhone 5C - 16GB $99 w/ contract (White, Red, Yellow, Black, Blue)


     


    iPhone 5S - 32GB $199 w/ contract (Black, Aluminum, Gold)


    iPhone 5S - 64GB $299 w/ contract (Black, Aluminum, Gold)


    iPhone 5S - 128GB $399 w/ contract (Black, Aluminum, Gold)


     


    Keeping the 4S w/ the old connector makes sense from a "do-right by your customer" perspective.  I don't think it is productive toward moving people to the lightning connector, but for those who have many expensive 30-pin accessories who drag their feet and would complain that Apple switched the connector technology without offering them the old technology, this makes sense in that way.  Would Apple recommend buying the 4S? No.  Do they gain the higher ground and avoid consumer complaints and regulator interference?  Yup.

  • Reply 80 of 110
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post


    The 5S will have shortages because all of us who never upgraded to the 5 will be doing so. It will be huge.



     


    If the 5 was not compelling enough to get you to upgrade, why would you buy the 5S? Assuming the generally accepted rumours are true, it's just the same phone but faster, possibly with a fingerprint sensor.


     


    The 5 is a great device and I'm sure the 5S will be too. I see no reason NOT to upgrade. I just don't understand what the 5S offers that would tip you over the edge when the 5 didn't?

Sign In or Register to comment.