Apple's Siri now takes swipes at Google's 'half-empty' Glass

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Yay, more jokes from Siri. Why did they waste time on this. How about making Siri more useful?
  • Reply 22 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubston View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It'd be great if she did more jokes like this for a broader range of topics, but used them DURING searches to mask transit times.

You could say, "I'd like 4,000 lattes to go." Siri would reply, "I miss Steve, too. Here are some cafés in your area." The first sentence done on-device while the location search is going on behind it.

Great idea

Or they could just speed up the search to match Google, which is orders of magnitude faster than Siri. And better result too, in my opinion. The only time I use Siri is to do something with the device such as set an alarm or a calendar entry.

• Reply 23 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "Don't be such a Glasshole"

Or

"I'm going to set off an alarm to warn people in the general area that you might be recording them"
  • Reply 24 of 94
    Meanwhile, Siri can now change the screen brightness which is a feature I asked for myself:

"dim the screen"

Siri: OK I made it a bit darker.

"full brigthness"

Siri: This is as bright as it gets.

I find this much better than Glass jokes.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Oh great. The government lawyers are going to add this to their e-book conspiracy case saying it is unfairly taking a swipe at Google.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Thanks ! Gotta try it. Anything else ? May be Apple is updating the server to prepare for the rumored 9/10 event ?
  • Reply 27 of 94

"Siri, do you like Apple?" "I'm pretty loyal to Apple. It's just how I'm made."

• Reply 28 of 94
    droidftw wrote: »
    Why the heck is Apple threatened by Glass enough to give it the time of day?  While there are some very interesting edge case uses for it, I'm fairly confidant it will not go over well with the general public.

Someone here is taking Google Glass way too seriously.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Odd that you would read that as I'm the one taking Glass too seriously when my post was about Apple taking Glass too seriously.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Personally I'm surprised that Apple is giving attention to Google Glass.

Agreed. Why give them free advertising?  I can just see Brian Williams and Anderson Cooper smirking their way through this tonight.

• Reply 31 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    Or they could just speed up the search to match Google, which is orders of magnitude faster than Siri. And better result too, in my opinion. The only time I use Siri is to do something with the device such as set an alarm or a calendar entry.

Orders of magnitude? Really? Care to document that?

Just more whining from the same person who insisted that Apple Maps was unusable - even after independent testing showed that it was just as good as Google Maps.

Gee, paying all the shills must cost Google a fortune.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I suppose it's fun, and probably not putting significant toll on Apple's staff, but it's a bit frivolous to be putting this out when Siri is still too slow to be practically useful nine times out of ten.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Yay, more jokes from Siri. Why did they waste time on this. How about making Siri more useful?

Siri- beaters.

• Reply 33 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Odd that you would read that as I'm the one taking Glass too seriously when my post was about Apple taking Glass too seriously.

They're making fun of it; how is that taking it seriously?!

• Reply 34 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Agreed. Why give them free advertising?  I can just see Brian Williams and Anderson Cooper smirking their way through this tonight.

Siri is just answering "okay glass". If you say it, you know what Glass is already.
  • Reply 35 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I agree. Dependency on Internet connection and going remote is the biggest drawback of SIRI. Having at least a limited basis on the device with regular updates based on eg location or uindividual sage patterns would be great such that she needs to reach out for the servers less often. I don't think you could pack all SIRI Localfor the next two decades image

You gotta think ahead when thinking about Siri. First off, Siri needs the server connection to learn more about human speech patterns and understanding. She's much better at understanding what I want then she was earlier. As Apple ups the capability of the A chip, it becomes more and more able to take on what the server does, leaving the ever-decreasing cost of flash memory as the other limit to Siri's ability to operate completely inside the iDevice. 

I see a day when the Siri Local info would be gulped down once Siri finds a free wifi in a new location and then operates in that new city as if it had always been there. Just keep thinking about how Apple thinks, and how small moves today are putting in place the infrastructure for large leaps in the future.

• Reply 36 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The user has to bring the subject up for Siri to respond. Hardly free advertising, especially since she doesn't refer to Google or Google Glass as such.

• Reply 37 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

May I refer you to the further integration of Siri with far more apps and functions in iOS 7...?

• Reply 38 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Why the heck is Apple threatened by Glass enough to give it the time of day?  While there are some very interesting edge case uses for it, I'm fairly confidant it will not go over well with the general public.

Apple's not threatened, that an absurd conclusion. Why should Apple let Siri seem stupid about one of the other "assistants" out there?? 

• Reply 39 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    allenbf wrote: »

I suspect it's much the same reason why you, Gatorguy and DroidFTW wasted time adding your comments to the thread. Instead of criticising Apple and/or defending Google on an Apple forum, you could be making useful comments on Google forums to Google fans. Comments like: 'hey do you like Google Glass, yeah I like Google Glass it's pointless but unique and new, did you search for things using Google, yeah I love searching for things, hey did you hear that Apple is suing, they suck 'cos everybody should be allowed to just take things from other people, no way they stole the notification panel, no way they stole some UI theme that looks nothing like it, that's not ok they can't steal, only we can steal except we don't steal anything - everything that Google has done was obvious, hey did you steal some apps today, yeah me and 50000 others'.

When Samsung takes a swipe at Apple in their ads, it's ok but Apple does it in a much more subtle and humorous way and that's not ok? The reactions by some to the Samsung ads were that they were outdoing Apple and Apple's ads were lame and they had become Microsoft and Google was the new Apple. This is just Apple again showing that they haven't changed - they're the same people who left poems in the OS for people hacking it:

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/02/15/apple-seeks-poetic-justice/

Your karma check for today:
    There once was a user that whined
    his existing OS was so blind,
    he'd do better to pirate
    an OS that ran great
    but found his hardware declined.
    Please don't steal Mac OS!
    Really, that's way uncool.
    (C) Apple Computer, Inc.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Orders of magnitude? Really? Care to document that?

Okay, but you are not going to like it.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/11/05/google-voice-search-siri-speed-test/