New video compares supposed iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C shells against iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I would too ... but on the other hand they are releasing an OS called "Mavericks" with a giant fake green-blue surfer wave as the backdrop, so "classy" has apparently already left the building. :)
    Because faux leather, green felt and linen was classy?
  • Reply 42 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Beautiful!

I agree, it's beautiful. It's not for me, though. And call me sexist, but I have an easier time seeing this phone appealing to women far more than to men.

• Reply 43 of 84
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Because faux leather, green felt and linen was classy?

Touche. image

"Mavericks" pretty much makes everyone outside of the USA want to barf though.  They might as well put eagles and waving American flags on the box. 

• Reply 44 of 84
    andrewb123 wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought every iPhone to date has been either white or black. I was considering mindspace and visibility on the street, not ancient CRT iMacs sat on desks and iPod Nanos tucked away in coat pockets. Apple will have to do a heck of a lot of advertising to drag the fun/colourful smartphone perception away from Nokia - especially at the lower end of the pre-pay (off contract) market, which I doubt the slightly lower cost iPhone will reach.
    Hmm...somehow I'm not worried about new iPhones being mistaken for Nokias. Plus the 5th gen iPod touches came in colors. Unless those are tucked away in coat pockets too?
  • Reply 45 of 84
    Touche. :)

"Mavericks" pretty much makes everyone outside of the USA want to barf though.  They might as well put eagles and waving American flags on the box. 
    Ah I see you're back to your anti-American drivel agin. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 46 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Am I the only one who actually prefers the look of the white 5C over either of the aluminum bodies?

I wouldn't buy the 5C in any of those horrid muted colors we've seen in supposed leaks, but I really like the white. I like it enough that if it isn't crippled too badly I'd rather have that than the 5S.

The 5C won't be any worse in function than the current 5. 

Apple hasn't crippled any of their products since Jobs came back. While they may not goose it up past the current 5 specs, they won't give us anything less than that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Champaign colored iPhone will only be available at high-end jewelry stores and Apple own stores. Such a move will restrict the iPhone just enough that it will develop a higher level of cachét and prepare the way for next year's iWatch introduction.

• Reply 47 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Touche. image

You have talked to pretty much everyone outside the U.S.A? 

• Reply 48 of 84

Quote:

I figured it would be the same color as the back, i.e. champagne/gold.

Hmmm, I would bet that Apple would want a logo that was easily set apart visually from the rest of the back panel. A logo of the same color as the back panel would hardly be visible.

Apple and Apple customers want to clearly see that logo. That may be the reason for using a high-contrast ? on the back of the proposed iPhone Color.

• Reply 49 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apple hasn't crippled any of their products since Jobs came back. While they may not goose it up past the current 5 specs, they won't give us anything less than that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Champaign colored iPhone will only be available at high-end jewelry stores and Apple own stores. Such a move will restrict the iPhone just enough that it will develop a higher level of cachét and prepare the way for next year's iWatch introduction.

I seriously doubt they would restrict a gold iPhone to retail and high end jewelry stores. Apple is in the business of moving product. If people want to buy them, they won't make it harder to get them.

Having said that, I think it would be wise to sell the color iPhone only through the Apple online and b&m retail stores. That is, if they really are concerned about moving more of their own phones.

• Reply 50 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Spoilt brat, go work in a factory for living for a while and wait until we comment on your hands.

Ever heard if the phrase "Don't bite the hands that feed you!"?

Why do you think you can afford a cheap iPhone? Because there are "dirty, ugly hands" working and assembling them for you. Show some humility and gratitude you bastard!

Dude, chill!

I would have preferred a woman's hand with nail polish....

• Reply 51 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

You have talked to pretty much everyone outside the U.S.A? 

Most of them yes.  There's a guy in Finland who won't answer his phone, but everyone else seems to be in agreement. 

• Reply 52 of 84

Quote:

Ah I see you're back to your anti-American drivel agin. image

Right, the US treats the rest of the world like something to wipe it's ass on, but I'm a jerk for pointing it out once in a while.  

That's like a smoker complaining that someone is being offensive for holding their nose or coughing when they walk past them.  

• Reply 53 of 84
    Touche. :)

And some of us IN the USA, also. I wish they had called it OSX Puffin. Then next time it could be OSX Mountain Puffin. I don't know why, but that sort of "laughing at ourselves" mentality would draw me a little closer to the brand, and I think perhaps others as well.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    noelos wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been said on one of the many related threads but thank god they're doubling down on secrecy.

Only if it's true. Repeating a rumor many times does not make it more true. Posting many photos and videos of the same (possibly fake) parts does not make it any more real. Remember this from two years ago--> http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/14/case_makers_gambled_and_lost_on_teardrop_iphone_5_design
    The rumor mill was steadily circle jerking around some alleged "iPhone 5" specs. A phone with that name would arrive later, but not with that design. So I don't believe anything until Phil Schiller unveils it on stage.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Given Apple's history, I'd be shocked if they release an ugly phone.

Well it sure ain't purdy...

• Reply 56 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

The first-gen is effing gorgeous. Last I heard, it was still Jony's favorite design.

• Reply 57 of 84
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

If gold is bling or tasteful is not a matter of color but of context. If you have a simple navy blue leather phone case case and wear a blue business suit with a brass-color belt buckle, and gold-rim eye glasses, a gold colored phone blends in.

If you sport a grin "adorned" with a gold tooth with a diamond while wearing tacky but expensive sportswear along with a Mercedes star dangling around your neck on a fat gold chain, and combine that with a golden iPhone it shows that you have way more (illegitimate ?) money than you have taste.

It's not the color, but the who and how of the context.

I really can't figure out why every reference to gaudy gold that I've read on this site has alluded to stereotypical "others". The only people wearing lots of gold are not "others". Some are regular people, who, you know, like gold. Your comment makes you seem really out-of-touch.

This has nothing to do with "other" but with sense of style. In some contexts gold is appropriate, in others it's plain gaudy. To illustrate that point, I took two extremes, because I didn't feel like I'd want to discuss the matter whether or not PH is a gaudy slut, or a classy bitch; or some such discussion.

The point is simple: in some contexts gold-tone metal is simply a matter of color-coordinating accessories, and gold can just as subduedly blend in as black or silver in such a context. In another context it's simply a show-off color that's supposed to signal money, and that's tacky, no matter who does it and whether or not that person has money or not, or whether that money is legitimate or not. Nonethless, the nouveau riche have a dendency to have money (of either kind) and no taste (of any sort). To notice that doesn't make me out of touch, but observant, albeit not politically correct, but to be that was never my goal in the first place.

• Reply 58 of 84
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

I may be representing a minority here, but I liked this design a lot. Actually the iPhone 1 and 4/4S are still my favourites. The 3G/3GS were the ones I liked least (by far), but even those were not "ugly", just too much plastic. (The 5 looks great, but that screen size does nothing for me.)

• Reply 59 of 84
    The first-gen is effing gorgeous. Last I heard, it was still Jony's favorite design.
    When did he say that?
  • Reply 60 of 84

When has Apple ever sold iPhones in jewelry stores? And since the phone isn't actually gold, why would that even make sense? Apple wants to sell as many iPhones as possible. How does restricting availability do that?