Mac growth running out of steam as 'switcher' motivation diminishes - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Interesting.  I wonder if they'll be mostly web based (with the missing features implemented natively)?  If the iCloud version is truly that good (at least, in the latest OS X version of Webkit), then it wouldn't make sense to maintain both native and web-based versions.

The only thing I care about is that all three versions get EFFING FEATURE PARITY. It's nonsense that they've never been 1:1 on iOS and OS X. Now adding a third "version" into the mix is totally unApple. I don't want to see effing file errors when moving between "iWork" and "iWork".

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Tallest, what knowledge do you have that this is the case?  Just curious as to why you said that.

They said iWork's getting an update this fall, and that's fall. About as specific as Apple ever is, really. image When they say "a June release", they generally mean June 30.

• Reply 42 of 114
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Walt and Tim already addressed this topic at All Things D:

http://allthingsd.com/20130123/apple-ceo-dont-fear-cannibalization-embrace-it/

• Reply 43 of 114
    I think Apple needs to do more advertising. A lot of people don't know about the features that were good about Mac, because Apple stopped advertising them once they were standard features and not new features. That the macs are pricer because of features that PCs usually don't have such as:

Unibody construction
    Aluminum body
    Magsafe adaptor
    Ambient light sensor
    Backlit keyboard
    Laser etched keys that don't fade
    Glass trackpad
    Optical out

But the article makes some sense. In the earlier days when OS X first launched, when you use a mac, you are like the only person around using it and people around you go WOW.

Those were the days when the switcher campaign advertisements were running and it made a lot of sense to switch. Nowadays, as much as I hate to admit, Windows is running decently fast and stable, so not that much incentive to switch. And Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 is a pain to use at times.

• Reply 44 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Stupid argument. Mac sales are down because all PC sales are down. This is the post-PC era. People buy iPads now instead.

Correct. However, your statement misses a couple of points:

1. Mac sales are down less than PC sales. Presumably, that means that some switching is still occurring (particularly given the longer average life for Mac systems).

2. The reason is not just people switching to iPacs. Rather, it is to be expected in a mature industry. Twenty years ago, no PC was 'fast enough'. Even with the latest PC, there were still delays in doing common things and there was a major incentive to upgrade as soon as new versions came out. Today, even a bargain basement PC is plenty fast for what most people do - so there's much less incentive to upgrade. If your existing PC does everything you need almost instantaneously, why spend the money on an upgrade? I'm typing this on a 2006 MacBook Pro with 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo and limited to 3 GB of RAM. This computer rarely slows me down when I'm doing the work that I do every day. In the past, for comparison, I upgraded my Macs every 3 years or so to get the latest processors.
  • Reply 45 of 114
    Since when?
  • Reply 46 of 114
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Nowadays, as much as I hate to admit, Windows is running decently fast and stable

Ha! Have you USED Windows 8? Also, it's Windows. It's the same core as in '95.

• Reply 47 of 114
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillio View Post

They really need another campaign, like they had during Vista, to point out the problems with Windows 8 and 8.1. I wonder why Apple marketing has been silent on this.

I agree. They don't really advertise Macs anymore. Now is a great time to go at it.

• Reply 48 of 114
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I just had my first encounter with Windows 8 yesterday. What a frickin' disaster! Mac should be getting Windows switchers in droves.

• Reply 49 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    philboogie wrote: »
    You're sure this is the factor? Not that Macs last longer than PeeCee's? Ah, ok, Switchers. Well, I for one like my niche, I like my niche very much.

edit: 'pipped' by walletinspector - you just made my point. Darn, what took you so long?

Exactly. PC users who switched to Mac must be delighted not to have to 'be sold' a new one every year as it 'would cost more' to fix Windows'.
  • Reply 50 of 114
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Well, what's a little misleading is that Apple has only announced one new model this year, so we'll just wait until after they refresh the entire line up.

Sure, Apple's not for everyone, but there are a substantial amount of people still running Windows on a Mac computer than there has in the past.

It would be interesting to see what the market share curve is for Mac users that also run Windows.

I think that the computer has reached a point where the average user might not have to upgrade their computer as often if they are just running basic applications since a lot of the standard apps don't even use that many cores of the CPU.
  • Reply 51 of 114
    I think the system known as Windows 8 will lend a major helping hand in keeping up switch rates for years to come!

Although, MS may improve if a decent successor to Balmer is found!
  • Reply 52 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I think the system known as Windows 8 will lend a major helping hand in keeping up switch rates for years to come!

Although, MS may improve if a decent successor to Balmer is found!

The memo already went out ... "Find the guy that made the silk purses out of ...."
  • Reply 53 of 114
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the Mac lineup may no longer be attracting many new "switcher" customers from Microsoft's Windows platform, Wolf said in his latest "Digital Lifestyle" report, provided to AppleInsider this week.

The "switchers" are now switching to iPad.  It's a post-PC world now, baby.

At least in terms of growth.  Speaking of which...

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

PC designs, though, have become "satisfactory for the 'jobs to be done'," and the PC market is struggling as a result.

And Microsoft has done zero to put the "Wow" back in legacy desktop computing.

Their last real positive achievement was putting the NT kernel into their consumer OS, Windows XP.

And that was way back in 2001.  And all that did was cut back on Blue Screen of Death appearances.

Vista: two steps backward.  Windows 7 (aka "Vista Service Pack 1"): one step forward.

Windows 8: zero steps forward.  Windows 8.1 (aka "Windows 8 Service Pack 1"): half a step forward.

Tick: do something terrible to Windows.  Tock: attempt to fix the mess and call it progress.

All of which means that businesses and consumers with 5-year old PCs are happy to keep on using them.

And that's bad for Microsoft and Intel and HP / Dell / Lenovo / etc.  

The old clunker PC is still "satisfactory for the 'jobs to be done'."  Why waste money on a new clunker?

• Reply 54 of 114
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Out to lunch report.!
    Winows 8 is the biggest catalyst for switching to mac. And that has just started...let alone more and more ipad and iphone users with old windows machines converting to make their devices more synergic . The idea that mac platform is loosing its appeal or steam among switchers is bogus at best !
  • Reply 55 of 114
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Analyst is full of it. iPads are a major factor. Not this WOW nonsense. Peeps buy computers because they need them not because they're a status symbol.
  • Reply 56 of 114
    xzu wrote: »
    no games.... no fun...
    No games?

Are u one if the people who also says surface has all of the important apps?
  • Reply 57 of 114
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well the screw up the iMac launch design...

Fixed that for you.

-kpluck

• Reply 58 of 114
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

In it's current state- I can;t recommend a Mac. Quicktime sucks and Safari too.The cloud is inconsistent. Mavericks is desparately needed to bring something fresh to the table. OSX has been given short rift the last 5 years with iOS the priority. And the new iMacs don't make sense without a retina display.

• Reply 59 of 114
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    I'll always be a Mac user. I switched three months ago, to a MacBook Pro, and I love it. After my PC desktop dies, I don't use it too much, I may buy an iMac.
  • Reply 60 of 114
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    In it's current state- I can;t recommend a Mac. Quicktime sucks and Safari too.The cloud is inconsistent. Mavericks is desparately needed to bring something fresh to the table. OSX has been given short rift the last 5 years with iOS the priority. And the new iMacs don't make sense without a retina display.

And on the other side, windows suck. Desperately needed? Hardly.