Mac growth running out of steam as 'switcher' motivation diminishes - report

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Yeah, I don't think that's going to be happening soon if they've stretched themselves over maintaining 3 different versions.  If they can standardize on the web/iCloud version for all platforms, then maybe.  But there's still a number of features missing, and it's very hard to pull off desktop and mobile in the same package (as we see with the Windows 8 debacle).

The only problems of windows 8 are related to its user interface. It brought many advancements under the hood compared to windows 7. "Feature-parity" for iWork refers to the underlying functionality, not the UI.

• Reply 102 of 114
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The only problems of windows 8 are related to its user interface. It brought many advancements under the hood compared to windows 7.

Spoken like a software developer: "It's just some UI quirks, no big deal".

Except that, once you really try to get the UI to be intuitive for people who aren't willing to spend ages adapting to the software they use, you realize that it was actually the functionality which was the easy part.  There's a clear answer for functionality: either it meets the functional requirements or it doesn't.  If you work long enough at it, you'll likely get it.

However, creating an intuitive UI which works well for the vast majority of people is a lot more "fuzzy".  Some people could work on it endlessly and never get it right.  Or, at least, they'd end up copying it from someone else who did get it right.  It requires a lot of creativity, intuition, and attention to detail.

Quote:

"Feature-parity" for iWork refers to the underlying functionality, not the UI.

Really?  I thought it meant having the same bugs.  Try creating a build-out in the iCloud version of Keynote (one example of a major missing feature/function).

• Reply 103 of 114

Of course people care about optical drives.   There are still $billions in sales of music, movies, and software on DVD's.   You can't beat RedBox movies for $1.   Not to mention many use optical drives are used for burning home movies, giving relatives photos and videos, etc.

Apple prematurely removed the optical drive in hoping that would drive up online media sales.  MANY people still use an optical drive, just google this phrase to find out how many people are miffed by this:

"new imac no optical drive"

Concerning no USB ports or SD card slots in a convenient location, Macs never had them on the front, but my 2011 iMac at least has an SD card on the side, which is somewhat convenient.  Now they don't even have that.

Sorry, placing all of the ports and slots on the back of the Mac, and eliminating the optical drive reduces manufacturing complexity for Apple, but is inconvenient for the consumer, and a step backwards in usability.

• Reply 104 of 114
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

just google this phrase to find out how many people are miffed by this:

Except that's in no way a valid metric of anything.

Sorry, placing all of the ports and slots on the back of the Mac, and eliminating the optical drive reduces manufacturing complexity for Apple, but is inconvenient for the consumer, and a step backwards in usability.

Wrong, again, as proven by them not changing it.

• Reply 105 of 114

Quote:

"It's just some UI quirks, no big deal".

Except that, once you really try to get the UI to be intuitive for people who aren't willing to spend ages adapting to the software they use, you realize that it was actually the functionality which was the easy part.

So right! I've just been helping (over the phone) my sister-in-law who has a new Win8 desktop after her XP machine died:

"So, you can get to the desktop by clicking on one of those tiles...well, it's because you've got two different ways of using the machine...it was really designed for touch screens...no, you don't have a touchscreen on your machine, just an extra bit made for touch screens...IE doesn't have a little X at the top to close it because you started it from the tile, not the desktop...but you can unlearn all this next month because you'll be able to go straight to the desktop at start-up in 8.1...yes, just like in XP" etc.

I've thought for a while that if MS can pull off a single OS that's seamless across tablets and PCs then they'll make Apple look silly. And doubted that they can.  Now, having listened to a real user who wants to get stuff done and has no interest in the technicalities, I'm sure they can't. Like auxio said, it's the UI that makes the difference.

• Reply 106 of 114
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by virtua View Post

"Mac has shrunk to 20% of apple" - you don't get much more misleading than that.

What do you mean? It doesn't get any more straightforward than that. There's nothing misleading in that statement whatsoever.

Whether or not anyone has switched to the iPad is irrelevant to the percentage of Apple's business the Mac represents. My nephew uses an iPhone instead of a laptop. So what? What he *IS* using has zero affect on the fact that he's NOT using a Mac.

The only way the statement is misleading is if the Mac's share of Apple's pie is actually significantly more or less than 20%.

• Reply 107 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

In it's current state- I can;t recommend a Mac. Quicktime sucks

I don't understand the direction Apple is taking with QuickTime either. Please suggest an alternative container on another platform that will do what QT does.

Just lemme know if you think of something. I'm gonna go continue working in the meantime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And the new iMacs don't make sense without a retina display.

What?! Who the pluck needs retina resolution on a 27" display? That's the most ridiculous complaint about the iMac yet.

• Reply 108 of 114
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

What?! Who the pluck needs retina resolution on a 27" display?

Anyone who has used one anywhere else and won't accept crap resolution anymore? I'd love a 27" retina.

• Reply 109 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone who has used one anywhere else and won't accept crap resolution anymore? I'd love a 27" retina.

I don't know if I'd call present resolutions "crap;" I can't make out individual pixels on my 17" 1920 x 1200. A 27" display is obviously much larger but it's also viewed from much further away.

After comparing the Retina vs. non-Retina iPad and the Retina vs. non-Retina MacBook Pro, I honestly think Retina is a solution in search of a problem. It *is* better, but in my opinion not *enough* better to justify the increased cost, power requirement and GPU overhead. YMMV.

• Reply 110 of 114

*IF* it's true that the number of switchers is diminishing, I can think of a couple reasons, one as old as the hills, the other more recent.

The traditional reason is "It costs HOW much?!" Persuading Kia and Hyundai owners, or even Chrysler, Toyota and Honda owners to switch to BMW (or Lexus or Mercedes or whatever) is a tough sell. Of course it's better, but it's also WAY more expensive. Just as many people choose not to buy the BMW because they view it as either overkill for their modest needs or more than they can afford, the switch from Toshiba or Sony to Apple can be a shock to the wallet.

The other is the stripping down of screen-facing services. My wife and I were swayed to Mac around five years ago as a result of trying to find a cohesive package that would allow my wife to gather her photos and video and create online photo and video albums, a web site and DVDs. iLife with MobileMe was the obvious winner.

I'll leave the subject of whether or not last year was the time to kill DVDs for another discussion, but raise the question of whether current cloud and software offerings have the same kind of "curb appeal" the old iLife had? iCloud provides sync and storage, both of which I greatly appreciate, but they're things you have to experience to appreciate. I now know about and appreciate the Apple "eco-system" but I'm not sure the present software/cloud system would attract me to the platform if I wasn't already invested in them.

• Reply 111 of 114
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    v5v wrote: »
    What do you mean? It doesn't get any more straightforward than that. There's nothing misleading in that statement whatsoever.

Whether or not anyone has switched to the iPad is irrelevant to the percentage of Apple's business the Mac represents. My nephew uses an iPhone instead of a laptop. So what? What he *IS* using has zero affect on the fact that he's NOT using a Mac.

The only way the statement is misleading is if the Mac's share of Apple's pie is actually significantly more or less than 20%.

The inference is clear - it's being used to intimate mac sales are slumping and has nothing to do with mac sales performance.
  • Reply 112 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except that's in no way a valid metric of anything.

Wrong, again, as proven by them not changing it.

Mac sales are down 6% from 2012.  How's that for a metric?   Tablet sales were brisk in 2012, so don't believe that BS that Mac sales slumped because of tablets.  

And let me get this straight -- Since Apple puts all of the ports and slots on the back, that must be best practices?

• Reply 113 of 114

Mac sales are down 6% from 2012.  How's that for a metric?

Prove it has anything whatsoever to do with what you claimed, or don't waste our time claiming utter crap.

Since Apple puts all of the ports and slots on the back, that must be best practices?

Nope; didn't say that. Please read what I write before responding.

• Reply 114 of 114

Quote:

Of course people care about optical drives.   There are still $billions in sales of music, movies, and software on DVD's.   You can't beat RedBox movies for $1.   Not to mention many use optical drives are used for burning home movies, giving relatives photos and videos, etc.

Apple prematurely removed the optical drive in hoping that would drive up online media sales.  MANY people still use an optical drive, just google this phrase to find out how many people are miffed by this:

1999 left the building and it's not coming back.