Microsoft debuts 'Xbox Music' for iOS ahead of Apple's iTunes Radio rollout

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft on Monday took its Xbox Music streaming service free for Web users and launched mobile apps for iOS and Android, with the move coming just before Apple is expected to release its own iTunes Radio service with iOS 7.

Xbox Music

With Xbox Music for iOS, Microsoft is looking to attract users to its Xbox Music Pass subscription service by offering six months of ad-free streaming, including access to content from a Web client and other devices.

The app also allows existing Xbox Music Pass subscribers to listen on the go, curate playlists and create artist-based radio stations. As of today, customers can now access the service via iPhone, Android device, Xbox, Windows 8 PC or tablet and the Web.

The app does not yet support offline listening, though Microsoft notes the feature will be available in a future update.

An Xbox Music Pass is required to use the new app, which features:
  • Stream ad-free music from a catalog of tens of millions of songs
  • Add songs, albums, and playlists to your Xbox Music collection and access them from other devices
  • Create playlists that sync across your phone, Xbox 360, PC, tablet, and the web
  • Listen to music while using your iPhone
  • Listen to artist-based radio stations
  • Enjoy a rich visual experience for searching, viewing, and playing back music
Apple is also on the verge of releasing its own internet radio service with iTunes Radio for iOS 7. The upcoming service will tap into iTunes' vast catalog of content, with thousands of new songs added weekly, and is expected to be available on iOS, Mac, PC and Apple TV.

iTunes Radio will be ad-supported with capped song skipping, though users can lift the limitations by subscribing to iTunes Match for $24.99 per year. The price is cheaper than some popular internet radio offerings, including Microsoft's Xbox Music Pass, which is available for $10 per month or $100 per year.

Xbox Music comes in at 8.8MB and is free to download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I felt sorry for the recent story about something (I forget what) Microsoft did, because no one felt it deserved a comment... not even one bloody comment. It seemed so lonesome as I scrolled past ti several times. So, I thought I'd at least mention its passing and drop a single lonely comment on this piece of irrelevant pseudo "news."

Now, may both posts rest in peace....
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Wonder if this is available for Zune?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Presumably it's a rebranding of Zune Pass, which IIRC was a service that people liked, it was just hobbled by the fact that no one wanted to buy a Zune to use it.

• Reply 4 of 23
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

How portable is the Xbox?  Is that some kind of phone?

• Reply 5 of 23
    I'm sorry but iTunes Radio wins. In a world of subscription based
    Services who needs another 100 dollar per year habit? I don't know about
    You but if I sign up for another service I'll be in the poor house, I have too many
    As it is. No thanks Microsoft
  • Reply 6 of 23
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Comparing prices of the two services is like apples to oranges, it's absolutely insane. One is just an Internet radio, another is a full on demand streaming solution with extras. They are hardly competing with each other for crying out loud. Feel free to keep the masses riled up like somehow Microsof has been relevant at any time in the past five years.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    iTunes is where I organize and play my music. If XBox radio doesn't let me buy through iTunes andimport my music into iTunes you can forgetaboutit.
  • Reply 8 of 23

I understand these pre-emptive, "thunder-stealing" releases of phones, tablets, services, etc... They happen before each major Apple event.

My two questions for those who are in-the-know are, "have any of these had a major impact on Apple business?" and "does Apple do the same?"

• Reply 9 of 23
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    As of today, customers can now access the service via iPhone, Android device, Xbox, Windows 8 PC or tablet and the Web.

So you can't access it from a Windows phone??? That's stupid. (Well, this whole idea is stupid)
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Just buy your music content in iTunes, convert it to MP3, get it onto your xbox somehow and bam! You can now control your entire music library with an xbox controller!! How sweet is that!!!!!!!¡
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btracy713 View Post

I'm sorry but iTunes Radio wins. In a world of subscription based

Services who needs another 100 dollar per year habit? I don't know about

You but if I sign up for another service I'll be in the poor house, I have too many

As it is. No thanks Microsoft

£25 to remove the ad's and still essentially have a radio service rather than a service that lets you stream specific songs or albums. It hardly wins, its like there releasing the service everyone else released 4 years ago.

Also is iTunes Radio seriously not out yet? They announced it months ago! I miss the days Apple made an announcement ending with the words "available today". Vaporware sucks.

The £10 a month fee for Xbox Music though is far to high, they need something in between that lets  you access it with phones, xbox's and iPads. Right now you can stream from the web for free, you can stream from a pc or windows tablet for free (although limited to 10 hours a month). They all do the same playlist and collection sync so the only thing you get for £10 a month is xbox / phone access.

Should be noted that if you buy anything from Xbox Music then this is available on everything to stream.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

I understand these pre-emptive, "thunder-stealing" releases of phones, tablets, services, etc... They happen before each major Apple event.

My two questions for those who are in-the-know are, "have any of these had a major impact on Apple business?" and "does Apple do the same?"

I wouldn't call it pre-emptive. MS announces something every month, it's inevitable that if Apple has an event there will be an announcement from MS on something close to it. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

So you can't access it from a Windows phone??? That's stupid. (Well, this whole idea is stupid)

Articles wrong. Windows Phones had it since it launched, it and Xbox 360 access is the only real thing you actually get extra when you pay for the service.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Just buy your music content in iTunes, convert it to MP3, get it onto your xbox somehow and bam! You can now control your entire music library with an xbox controller!! How sweet is that!!!!!!!¡

Doesn't work. The Xbox Music app on an Xbox only streams and without a Xbox Music subscription you can only stream songs you bought on Xbox Music. You could do it with an Xbox Music subscription, but then there'd be no point in buying the music on iTunes.

• Reply 12 of 23

Who cares?

• Reply 13 of 23
    ezorro wrote: »
    Who cares?

• Reply 14 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    Also is iTunes Radio seriously not out yet? They announced it months ago! I miss the days Apple made an announcement ending with the words "available today". Vaporware sucks.

Off topic but in answer ... I assume, although I'm not 100% certain, it is tied to iOS 7 so it is close. :)

Microshit's biggest problem is they have no mobile presence so who the heck cares about this?

I've been enjoying iTunes radio for a long time now and it is absolutely brilliant. It lets you type in an artist or song and works exactly like Pandora, you create a channel of songs of similar style. In fact so far it seems way better than Pandpra in getting closer to my taste for some reason. It is free too if you have iTunes match already and that is a must have. No more needing your iTunes Library on your computer, I have mine now on an external drive in a cupboard, unattached and all my music is available on any of the family devices thanks to iTunes Match, Apple TV included. Pure genius.

IMHO Investors will drop Pandora and Spotify because they are doomed, Apple don't need to make money as it will help sell hardware although they probably will in the end as usual. My guess some other big fish will will buy Pandora for their base and copy Apple, using it as a loss leader for something else.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    I don't think Spotify have anything to worry about.

From what Ive seen so far iTunes radio is like Spotify but only has the radio part. Most of the time I want to listen to a specific track or album. Apples approach seems to be we're like Spotify but you cant listen to exactly what you want, but you will pick us cos were apple.

MS on the other hand seem to be offering everything, but then failing to offer anything at a middle price. They've made 99% of when you want to listen to music free and the remaining 1% £120 a year.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Please look up what 'vaporware' means.

• Reply 17 of 23
    Please look up what 'vaporware' means.

According to my iPhone dictionary, his implied meaning is correct.
  • Reply 18 of 23
  • Reply 19 of 23

Three months from announcement at a developers conference to release is vapor ware?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    timbit wrote: »
    According to my iPhone dictionary, his implied meaning is correct.

Time for a new dictionary. Vaporware typically refers to products that are announced but never produced or released.