First look: Apple's new iPhone 5s and 5c

145791013

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 246

     

    That's simply projection of the rumors that have been flying around. That's a poor example to use to justify complaining about the price of more of the "business as usual" middle tier iPhone.

  • Reply 122 of 246
    When your employees are basically paid in stock options in lieu of actual hefty salaries, that's why you have to care about your shareholder opinions.

    Shareholders want a good quarterly return, even if it means the company struggles in the long term. Too many CEOs and management don't have the balls to do the right thing for the health of the company and look only to the quarter numbers. Don't ignore shareholders, but don't factor their wishes into decisions.
  • Reply 123 of 246
    denkigrve wrote: »
    That's simply projection of the rumors that have been flying around. That's a poor example to use to justify complaining about the price of more of the "business as usual" middle tier iPhone.

    I think Apple is on the right track, but the stock market isn't so certain: Shares of Apple fell 2.3 percent to $494.65 after the company's latest product unveilings, which included two new versions of its iPhone line.

    Screw that bunch of nervous Nellies!
  • Reply 124 of 246
    I think the target for the 5c don't care about specs. By the way, most iPhone users don't care or don't know what's inside the phone in terms of hardware specs.
  • Reply 125 of 246
    tommy0guns wrote: »
    "Faster processor, Touch ID, better camera etc."  You stopped at "etc". Do you think a 16 yr old girl cares about those things? Or does she care about "OMG Pink!"? "With a purple case!". Teens and college kids have access to disposable income. Apple is ready to take it from them. 

    BTW, who wants a tablet that is just a large iPhone that can't make calls? Just cuz YOU don't see the market, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    I'm with you on this. Young buyers have money to burn and will burn it where it matters most... For most, that means their primary point of contact with their social world... the device they carry in their hand from morning to night. The colors are right for that group. Just like their clothing need the right brand marks printed on them, so does their iPhone.

    The colors of the iPhone 5c and the protective cover colors, scream "buy me" to the Japanese and Chinese markets which Apple has now cracked open. Watch these markets soak up the colored iPhones like a sponge...
  • Reply 126 of 246

    replied with quote

  • Reply 127 of 246
    frood wrote: »
    After only hearing about the fingerprint sensor as the new feature of the 5s I half expected Apple to come out and pull a rabbit out of its hat.  Instead it feels like the magician didn't even show up.  No wonder all the execs were dumping shares about a month ago.

    I don't know how you only heard about the fingerprint sensor because Apple talked about that last. You must have slept through most of the presentation.
  • Reply 128 of 246

    I know for sure that Motorola don't collect any password, gps locations etc. What I read is that when some app crashes, it collects crash dump to get more information for that crash. If the crash is gps related, it may have collected that info. Not for the purpose that you mentioned it. Regardless the link you refereed is age old phones. Moto X is very close to stock Android with all default google apps. You will not see any difference between Nexus and MotoX other then experience features like Touchless Control, Active Display, Assist, Connect.

    I got custom Moto X as well and it had all features for Camera like, burst mode, slow mo video capture and clear Pixel camera for sharp pictures.

    It is first time I am impressed with Motorola camera results. Once 5S comes to store, it will be interesting to compare camera features.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Denkigrve View Post

     

     

    Haha that's how I'm living right now. I'm trying out Android on the Nexus 4, but I'm still deep in the iOS ecosystem with my iPad. I also have both a PC and two macs. My household is a model for tech diversity. I support whatever looks cool. What about that sending moto information thing? Is that just anonymous user data? Can you disable that in settings?


  • Reply 129 of 246

    Engadget had video demonstrating fingerprint sensor unlock. It did looked fast and took less time then you enter passcode. But video showed that it falsed to siri couple of times as well. Guessing it will be corrected by the time it launches.

  • Reply 130 of 246
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,449member
    The colors are right for that group. Just like their clothing need the right brand marks printed on them, so does their iPhone.

    The colors of the iPhone 5c and the protective cover colors, scream "buy me" to the Japanese and Chinese markets which Apple has now cracked open. Watch these markets soak up the colored iPhones like a sponge...

    Maybe that explains what looks like a desperate "we're out of ideas ... Lets trot out the lollipop color offerings that made the iMac great and see if that works again"
  • Reply 131 of 246
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's Gruber's thoughts on the new iPhones. They pretty much mirror mine, which is the 5C is more about product differentiation than creating a cheap phone. Now Apple can market this as something new rather than last years model $100 cheaper. Some people might complain about price but the tech in the C is still damn good tech. I'd rather have what we got here than a phone with really old hardware or missing features (like Siri) in order to make it cheaper in price. Apple could have made a cheap phone, but they couldn't have made a good cheap phone.

    Something else that doesn't seem to get enough attention is the touch ID. Every hands on review I've read says its basically flawless. I didn't come across one that couldn't get it to work.

    http://daringfireball.net/2013/09/iphone_5c_5c_event
  • Reply 132 of 246
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Maybe that explains what looks like a desperate "we're out of ideas ... Lets trot out the lollipop color offerings that made the iMac great and see if that works again"
    So is Nokia out of ideas then too? Because people seem to like the colored Lumias...
  • Reply 133 of 246
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shahhet2 View Post

     

    Engadget had video demonstrating fingerprint sensor unlock. It did looked fast and took less time then you enter passcode. But video showed that it falsed to siri couple of times as well. Guessing it will be corrected by the time it launches.


     

    You're not supposed to press on the button. So my guess is they were pressing the button. You just rest your finger on it. Someone in the anandtech video covered that while explaining how the feature works. You wake the phone, and then rest your finger on the home button. Then, voila. It's called Touch ID not Press ID. :P

     

    http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/videos/#video-touch

  • Reply 134 of 246
    shahhet2 wrote: »
    replied with quote

    I really expect the 5s camera will blow away the Motomo camera, however the bundled software will really set the iPhone 5s apart from the motoMo.
  • Reply 135 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    Here's Gruber's thoughts on the new iPhones. They pretty much mirror mine, which is the 5C is more about product differentiation than creating a cheap phone. Now Apple can market this as something new rather than last years model $100 cheaper. Some people might complain about price but the tech in the C is still damn good tech. I'd rather have what we got here than a phone with really old hardware or missing features (like Siri) in order to make it cheaper in price. Apple could have made a cheap phone, but they couldn't have made a good cheap phone.



    Something else that doesn't seem to get enough attention is the touch ID. Every hands on review I've read says its basically flawless. I didn't come across one that couldn't get it to work.



    http://daringfireball.net/2013/09/iphone_5c_5c_event

     

    Have you actually seen video or just written review on touch id? I only checked engadget video and it did falsed couple of times to siri instead of unlock. I believe real use of touch id will come when api becomes available and third party apps can use it to bypass password (email app, shopping etc) For now it is limited to screen unlock and iTunes store purchase only.

  • Reply 136 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shahhet2 View Post

     

     

    Have you actually seen video or just written review on touch id? I only checked engadget video and it did falsed couple of times to siri instead of unlock. I believe real use of touch id will come when api becomes available and third party apps can use it to bypass password (email app, shopping etc) For now it is limited to screen unlock and iTunes store purchase only.


     

    You're reaching for this to have an issue at this point. Have you actually used it? It's still a home button. And when you press and hold the home button siri invokes. My guess is that you simply touch the button, not press it, and the guy on Engadget was most likely pressing and not just touching.

     

    In regards to the future. No-one expected to have an AppStore and the apps we have now when the first iPhone launched. Everything takes time.

  • Reply 137 of 246
    [quote name="John Oi" url="/t/159466/first-look-apples-new-iphone-5s-and-5c#post_2393739"]What I'm trying to say is that it's kinda funny how Apple implements their own version of "burst mode" after Samsung.
    [/quote
  • Reply 138 of 246
    Is it me or is the 5C just a 5 with a plastic colored body,?

    ...and bigger battery. Went from 8 hours of use to 10 hours.
  • Reply 139 of 246

    I wonder if the double tap to playback music is gone...I kinda liked that feature. This TouchID button looks like it is a static button.

  • Reply 140 of 246
    goodfellow wrote: »
    I can buy two Nexus 4 phones for the cost of one iPhone 5C.

    Be sure to not use the second one until the first one goes bad that way you might, that is might get 4 years of life out of the two. When, at the end, you'll have a phone that is worth nothing on eBay and you'll have gone four years with a mediocre to marginal experience. Or you could have a great four year experience and at the end sell the iPhone for money on eBay.

    It's a lot like buying a BMW or Benz and having a great 20 year driving experience and selling the car at the end of that time for maybe more then you paid for it. Or driven a series of Yugos over that time and had a piece of shit the whole time as well as at the end.
Sign In or Register to comment.