Shares of Apple slide, analysts cut targets in disappointment over iPhone 5c pricing

Comments

• Reply 281 of 301
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    semanka wrote: »
    The pricing was kind of weird. With $100 more you get 5s with latest A7 processor plus M7 co-processor plus the new finger print security feature. Those 3 things are sure worth more than $100, so how in the world anyone will save $100 just to give up those 3 amazing things? Plus It's aluminum, not plastic? It was really a pricing blunder, wouldn't be happening if Job was the CEO.
    It always DID happen when Jobs was in charge that pricing spacing hasn't changed since he died.
  • Reply 282 of 301
    The fact that you think Apple is overlooking something tells me you're overlooking something.

Who cares about the stock price? Apple going private would be great for them.
    Your response doesn't even make any sense!
  • Reply 283 of 301
    Originally Posted by skleiniv View Post

Your response doesn't even make any sense!

Then it fit the original statement. Apple is in no way "overlooking something" by making the iPhone colored. To suggest what you did is ludicrous. They may as well not give the phone a back casing at all, since "you'll just cover it up with a case" in that instance.

• Reply 284 of 301
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Ugh. Apple is losing market share not because they aren't selling iPhones but because the 1000 Android vendors are collectively selling more than Apple.

One Android vendor on its own is selling more than Apple, never mind a 1000! This despite Samsung using a hugely inferior OS, and derivative designs.

Apple is losing marketshare because the rate of increase in iPhone sales is slower than rate of increase in the smartphone market as a whole, and no other reason. That's mathematics.

Further, the smartphone market is now expanding faster at the low end, and in the middle. Apple have the high end sewn up, and the 5S will cement that domination. Apple won't go for the low end - fair enough. But they could have addressed the huge middle ground by pricing the 5c a bit more competitively. Instead they've used the savings from the plastic design to increase their profit margins. 

There have been some posts that have encouraged me - maybe this is transition, maybe Apple need to gear up support services. 

Quote:

In addition, if you talk about platform NS, please include the iPad and iPod touch.

What's your point ???  ... it's exactly the same story with iPad losing marketshare to Android tablets. But this was understandable, and inevitable, because nobody would have expected Apple to maintain the close to 90% share they had before others got products to market. And I won't criticise Apple here as they have addressed the price competitiveness issue well with iPad mini - quality product, at a reasonable price differential that hits mid-range. One of their best products to date imo.

• Reply 285 of 301
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kevt wrote: »
    What's your point ??? ... it's exactly the same story with iPad losing marketshare to Android tablets. But this was understandable, and inevitable, because nobody would have expected Apple to maintain the close to 90% share they had before others got products to market. And I won't criticise Apple here as they have addressed the price competitiveness issue well with iPad mini - quality product, at a reasonable price differential that hits mid-range. One of their best products to date imo.

I bet you wanted the mini to come at $200 instead of $330. Time will tell but Apple will clean up the mid tier. Low-end tier isn't profitable. Shipment market share doesn't mean anything. Usage share is more important.
  • Reply 286 of 301

bank America down grades apple they should down grade themselves there stock is 13 dollars for a reason.

• Reply 287 of 301

if apple priced the phone too low these idiots would of said it will hurt margins.its a big game don't fall into there trap.

• Reply 288 of 301

The barrage of negative press on Apple during the past week is symptamatic of a large overhang of short sellers, who have overstayed the short-selling party. They are desperate to drive the stock down, putting a negative spin on everything. It's last call for short sellers. What lies ahead is a rip-roaring rally driven by: (1) better than expected financial results, (2) increased stock buyback and/or dividend, (3) new products that have not yet been announced, and (4) a massive short-covering rally as the the shorts fight for limited exit opportunities.

• Reply 289 of 301
    Quote:

I bet you wanted the mini to come at $200 instead of $330. Time will tell but Apple will clean up the mid tier. Low-end tier isn't profitable. Shipment market share doesn't mean anything. Usage share is more important.

Dude, the guy said the mini was priced right and you attack him for it?

I don't think Apple will clean up the mid tier because the only phone they have in that category is one that's 2 years old. The C, despite the looks and some people's opinions is not mid tier. It might feel that way if you get a plan but the true cost is hidden in the plan. Just tell people in Europe that the C is mid tier and see what they say.

And please don't box me into a corner as a fandroid. I have an Air and an Apple TV and an iPod but I also use an S3.

• Reply 290 of 301
    And please don't box me into a corner as a fandroid. I have an Air and an Apple TV and an iPod but I also use an S3.

You fail the pencil test. :lol:
  • Reply 291 of 301
    Dude, the guy said the mini was priced right and you attack him for it?

I don't think Apple will clean up the mid tier because the only phone they have in that category is one that's 2 years old. The C, despite the looks and some people's opinions is not mid tier. It might feel that way if you get a plan but the true cost is hidden in the plan. Just tell people in Europe that the C is mid tier and see what they say.

That's after the fact. I'm sure (s)he and the analysts expected a $200 iPad mini prior to its announcement.
  • Reply 292 of 301
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could just ONE analyst be fired for incompetence, please? One of them. Start small. I need some validation that the entire market isn't now completely full of idiots.

Their allegiance isn't exactly to Apple. I wonder if anyone will ever compile an accuracy comparison chart.

Quote:

Then it fit the original statement. Apple is in no way "overlooking something" by making the iPhone colored. To suggest what you did is ludicrous. They may as well not give the phone a back casing at all, since "you'll just cover it up with a case" in that instance.

I always use a case anyway. This time around it looks like a move to cut manufacturing costs in some way, or maybe they were supply constrained due to the time required to make the other type. It appears that they still went with the method of using the prior generation's internals. What I'm not sure of is whether they'll stay that way when it comes to the addition of major features. For example the inclusion of LTE was a big one with the 4S. Will they keep the C version a generation behind there?

• Reply 293 of 301
    Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

This is the equivalent of writing “Okay.” in the box where it says, “Please do not write in this box.”

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Their allegiance isn't exactly to Apple. I wonder if anyone will ever compile an accuracy comparison chart.

“Ted, I want to talk about your performance over the past five years. I’ve been looking back through all the forms you’ve submitted, and every single blank is just ‘Poop poop penis penis’, all the way down the page, every time.

Frankly, I think you deserve a raise.”

• Reply 294 of 301
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

“Ted, I want to talk about your performance over the past five years. I’ve been looking back through all the forms you’ve submitted, and every single blank is just ‘Poop poop penis penis’, all the way down the page, every time.

Frankly, I think you deserve a raise.”

The response was amusing, as I'm in a silly mood today, but it still misses my point. I didn't imply a lack of bias, just a lack of allegiance. I find the moaning over the stock price to be somewhat amusing at times. It was in the $300s not that long ago. It would have been logical to view that as a buying opportunity rather than doom and gloom.

• Reply 295 of 301
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonathan Gal View Post

The barrage of negative press on Apple during the past week is symptamatic of a large overhang of short sellers, who have overstayed the short-selling party. They are desperate to drive the stock down, putting a negative spin on everything. It's last call for short sellers. What lies ahead is a rip-roaring rally driven by: (1) better than expected financial results, (2) increased stock buyback and/or dividend, (3) new products that have not yet been announced, and (4) a massive short-covering rally as the the shorts fight for limited exit opportunities.

Any short worth his shorts saw the golden cross about to happen and would have exited long before. As a matter of fact that could well be why the golden cross occurred.

• Reply 296 of 301
    Whaaat
    [/Whaaat]? Why your even making this crap up is ludicrous. All I said is the colors are no big deal in my opinion. How do you extrapolate that into not putting backs on iPhones?
  • Reply 297 of 301

All I said is the colors are no big deal in my opinion.

Insults aside, because you have no argument without them, no that’s not what you said. You said, and I quote again:

Originally Posted by skleiniv View Post

Colors which by the way will be covered by cases. It's little things overlooked like this that IMO makes apple look like they can't keep up.

I’ll keep repeating myself until you get it, I guess. Apple is in no way “overlooking something” by making the iPhone colored and then offering cases for said phone. 

How you extrapolate that into not putting backs on iPhones

Because your original statement:

Colors which by the way will be covered by cases.

Implies that the color is meaningless because it is covered by the case. It is, under any definition, NOT meaningless, therefore I took your original statement to its logical extreme by stating that having a back on the phone at all is meaningless because “you’ll just cover it up with a case”, which, in and of itself, is also untrue.

• Reply 298 of 301
    Thanks for clarifying. I realize you zeroed in on the colors, but that's not what I feel apple is over looking. I could care less what cover the back is, there's still no larger screen for older folks like me. That's huge for a segment like mine. They've had a couple years to create on, they haven't, so I feel that's been over looked. If no sd card or USB port is left off the next iPad, then again, I think they're overlooking something here. IMO.
  • Reply 299 of 301
    If no sd card or USB port is left off the next iPad, then again, I think they're overlooking something here. IMO.

Your opinion is a ludicrously small niche. You’d probably be better served with an Android that has done this for years.

• Reply 300 of 301
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    skleiniv wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying. I realize you zeroed in on the colors, but that's not what I feel apple is over looking. I could care less what cover the back is, there's still no larger screen for older folks like me. That's huge for a segment like mine. They've had a couple years to create on, they haven't, so I feel that's been over looked. If no sd card or USB port is left off the next iPad, then again, I think they're overlooking something here. IMO.

Apple isn't overlooking anything. It probably decided a larger iPhone has too many compromises. As for an sd card or USB, that's not gonna happen on an iPad. There are dongles for that. Apple also wants you to use the iPhone to take pics.