Apple issues internal high priority alert for iPhone activation server woes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Well I finally got iOS 7 downloaded and installed on my iPhone 5. It's actually really quite nice. I was honestly expecting I might not like it and would be pretending to like it more than I really did, but to my surprise I'm liking it a lot. Still getting use to the transitions and parallax but haven't come across any glitches so far.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Of course when I tried to update iTunes on my PC I got the stupid blue screen of death. :rolleyes:

See, if you'd bought a Mac, not only would you be guaranteed access to heaven (the halo effect) but, in the off chance your computer crashed, you'd get the periwinkle pastel blue screen of death.

;)
  • Reply 43 of 72
    mstone wrote: »
    I remember the first time they tried live streaming of an iPhone event, it crashed and burned. They don't do that anymore. Maybe this outage will make them rethink their strategy for next year. The Internet is not infallible. I agree with you about managing the resources though. I think a lot of people take things for granted such as the Internet, it is not limitless. Just look at how natural disasters catch people by surprise. All the carefully engineered drainage systems in Boulder Colorado could not handle the 100 year flash flood volume of water. Is it Apple's fault the servers croaked, sure, but how were they to know iOS 7 would be so popular?

I really have trouble comprehending the analogy between an exogenous event like a once-in-a-hundred-years flood, and a planned event that happens every few years.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gtr wrote: »
    See, if you'd bought a Mac, not only would you be guaranteed access to heaven (the halo effect) but, in the off chance your computer crashed, you'd get the periwinkle pastel blue screen of death.

;)
    Well if I didn't use a PC at work every day I probably would own a Mac. :)
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Here's a haiku poem to commemorate the iOS 7 update uproar:

"Software Update Failed"
    Should have been, "Servers Busy"
    Info retentives?

----
  • Reply 46 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I really have trouble comprehending the analogy between an exogenous event like a once-in-a-hundred-years flood, and a planned event that happens every few years.

It rains every year in Colorado during this season, sometimes more than expected. Sorry, it may have been a poor analogy but so is your comprehension. Forgive me, I am somewhat emotionally involved in the Colorado flood situation as the wife's family lives in Boulder and their house was destroyed.

• Reply 47 of 72
    Does anyone know why when I try to change my background picture it zooms in really close to the picture and won't let me zoom out to center and fit the whole picture on the screen??
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Originally Posted by BrittanyOdom View Post
    Does anyone know why when I try to change my background picture it zooms in really close to the picture and won't let me zoom out to center and fit the whole picture on the screen??

Encountered that myself; I imagine it’s either a bug or connected to the low resolution of the image you’re using.

Unless you’re not also using a low resolution image, in which case it’s a bug.

• Reply 49 of 72
    Encountered that myself; I imagine it’s either a bug or connected to the low resolution of the image you’re using.

Unless you’re not also using a low resolution image, in which case it’s a bug.
    The picture was taken with my iPhone 5. Now my iTunes app won't open. Don't want to sound like I am complaining I think the update is cool just hope that if this are big that they get fixed.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well if I didn't use a PC at work every day I probably would own a Mac. image

You need to bootcamp that rubbish off your desk.

;)

• Reply 51 of 72
    Apple likes the mayhem that ensues when they launch a new OS. The press reports that their servers are overloaded as more and more people try to upgrade. It only happens with Apple stuff, do you hear of the servers being overloaded when Android upgrades to a new OS?

I upgraded my phone and iPad with just a few hiccups. I'm preparing for a colonoscopy tomorrow, so getting iOS 7 was a nice change.
  • Reply 52 of 72

I encountered something like that in an early beta, and I think I determined it had to do with parallax. There needs to be edges hiding off the screen for the effect to work so you're seeing a slightly cropped version of the image. Like with motion-stabilized video footage.

That's what it reminds me of anyway, although when I encountered it I wouldn't say it was zoomed-in *really* close. Could this be what you're experiencing? Try turning parallax off...?
  • Reply 53 of 72

This is what happens when you have a runaway hit. 

Apple's stores are always rammed, anyway.

Their servers are always rammed on release day. 

Lines and crowds camping for days outside Apple stores, clogging up entire blocks. 

Get used to it, folks. Been this way for years now. 

• Reply 54 of 72
    I encountered something like that in an early beta, and I think I determined it had to do with parallax. There needs to be edges hiding off the screen for the effect to work so you're seeing a slightly cropped version of the image. Like with motion-stabilized video footage.

That's what it reminds me of anyway, although when I encountered it I wouldn't say it was zoomed-in *really* close. Could this be what you're experiencing? Try turning parallax off...?
    Yes that sounds like what is happening. Would you mind explaining to me how to turn parallax off?
  • Reply 55 of 72
    mstone wrote: »
    But I imagine 90% of those iPhone owners don't even know that iOS 7 was released. 

Doesn't the settings app usually show a badge when there is an iOS update? I don't see one on my iPhone 5 but if I go to the software update tab it shows iOS 7 is available. Did Apple perhaps disable the badge so people wouldn't notice?

I didn't see the badge on the Settings app, but then it allowed me to upgrade... somewhere during the upgrade the process failed and wouldn't restart. My iPhone 5 works perfectly but it still runs under OS 6. However, NOW there is a update badge in the Settings app. I suspect that they didn't send out the badge signal right away so as to stretch out the update window.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    This is what happens when you have a runaway hit. 

Apple's stores are always rammed, anyway.

Their servers are always rammed on release day. 

Lines and crowds camping for days outside Apple stores, clogging up entire blocks. 

Get used to it, folks. Been this way for years now. 

Ballmer has this reoccurring dream where this problem happens during a Microsoft release.... Oh the people, the lines, folks singing the praise of the products and demanding more, more, MOAR!!! He then wakes to the phone ringing and some white rapper just jumped up on a display table and kicked several expensive laptops on the floor while spooking the few loiterers out of the store...
  • Reply 57 of 72
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well if I didn't use a PC at work every day I probably would own a Mac. :)

Man, you deserve an iPad at least. Or get yourself a MBA and dual boot it so when you go home or use the restroom you can boot it up under Mac OSX and enjoy life for a bit.
  • Reply 58 of 72

(1) Are you using an iPad or iPhone or an iPod Touch?
    (2) Are you running iOS 6 or 7?
    (3) Are you trying to use a selfie for a background image?

Answer the above questions and send a selfie to this board and we can help you better. :smokey:
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackzig View Post

Apple likes the mayhem that ensues when they launch a new OS. The press reports that their servers are overloaded as more and more people try to upgrade. It only happens with Apple stuff, do you hear of the servers being overloaded when Android upgrades to a new OS?

I upgraded my phone and iPad with just a few hiccups. I'm preparing for a colonoscopy tomorrow, so getting iOS 7 was a nice change.

I thought the same. It's like the Hunger Games for software upgrades. "The 6th Annual UPGRADE GAMES!!"

• Reply 60 of 72

I honestly had more problems updating my iTunes to 11.1 than I did my iDevices to iOS 7. I kept getting 353 byte files that wouldn't mount. Finally Dave Hamilton at The Mac Obvserver sent me a good DMG and I was able to install it. I was more interested in iRadio. LOL.

But I did manage to get my iPad 2 and mini updated and my Dad's iPad and iPhone 4. I didn't bother with my iPhone 4, since my 5c is supposed be here Friday.