Bug in iOS 7 allows calls to be placed from locked iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130

WTF. I just tried repeatedly tapping the Call button in the Emergency Call lock screen dialer on my iPhone 4 on iOS7, but couldn't get the bug to work. Either the bug only happens on certain iPhones, or I wasn't persistent enough.

I guess we'll just have to take the guy's word for it.

• Reply 22 of 130
    scotty321 wrote: »
    This has always been in all versions of iOS... the ability to make an emergency call without typing in the passcode. This is a feature, not a bug.

Reading comprehension is key here. Read the article more closely, paying less attention to just the headline, and perhaps you will understand what is being discussed.
  • Reply 23 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Weird that you’re the first to notice this. Weird that the article was written at all.

The point of the article isn't that you can make an emergency call when the phone is locked -- that's an intentional feature that's also found on Android phones. You're not supposed to have to get your thumb print or pattern unlock right when you're being chased by somebody or bleeding after an accident. The exploit that's been reported in Fortune is that you can make a call to ANY number. 

In other words, what the poster you quoted was "the first to notice" and you echoed is an incorrect interpretation of Fortune's report.
  • Reply 24 of 130
    gonevw wrote: »
    I tried it but couldn't get it to do it

Just worked on my 4s. Enter the number you want to call then repeatedly hit the green call button. After 10 clicks or so it freezes and resets. During the reset the call is connected.

You can't dial any additional numbers after it's connected and to Hangup you need a pass code or you have to turn the phone off.
  • Reply 25 of 130
    arlor wrote: »

Weird that you’re the first to notice this. Weird that the article was written at all.

The point of the article isn't that you can make an emergency call when the phone is locked -- that's an intentional feature that's also found on Android phones. You're not supposed to have to get your thumb print or pattern unlock right when you're being chased by somebody or bleeding after an accident. The exploit that's been reported in Fortune is that you can make a call to ANY number. 

In other words, what the poster you quoted was "the first to notice" and you echoed is an incorrect interpretation of Fortune's report.

Pretty sure the guy you responded to was making fun of the guy he responded to
  • Reply 26 of 130
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post
    Pretty sure the guy you responded to was making fun of the guy he responded to

Nope. Haven’t you always been able to make any call from there? Were it just a line into 911, there would only be one button there: “911”. 

• Reply 27 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Haven’t you always been able to make any call from there? Were it just a line into 911, there would only be one button there: “911”. 

911 isn't the only emergency number in the world.

But if things worked like you seem to think they do, you should try calling a friend from the emergency call screen.  I think you'll find a "bug", it won't work!  However, if you press the call button repeatedly on iOS7 it may just work.

• Reply 28 of 130
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Everybody I know with an iPhone does not have a passcode set and uses it unlocked because of the inconvenience of entering a PIN to unlock it. I don't use a passcode on my iPad either. The paranoids must be out in force on this tuff.

You'll change your tune should the day ever come you lose your phone.

• Reply 29 of 130
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

911 isn't the only emergency number in the world.

Magical. My statement obviously implies that the button would be either general use or change depending on the area in which you live, but no, let’s go completely ignore the point and focus on that part of it.

However, if you press the call button repeatedly on iOS7 it may just work.

Emphasis on ‘may’.

• Reply 30 of 130

I'd take placing call to someone by repeatedly raping the "Call" button without unlocking bug in iOS7, any day over inexplicable restarts, severe security flaws, hijacks and frequent hangs in all Android versions.

• Reply 31 of 130
    There are also battery issues
    Even disabling background app updates and Bluetooth off, in one night standby from 100% to 74%...with iOS 6 was 87%...
  • Reply 32 of 130
    And iTunes Radio not available outside the US
  • Reply 33 of 130
    Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post
    And iTunes Radio not available outside the US

Which isn’t a bug.

• Reply 34 of 130
    Correct
  • Reply 35 of 130
    agramonte wrote: »
    To bad the new dialer and awful turquoise blue icons in safari and mail are not bugs also
    And the gray on white keyboard????
  • Reply 36 of 130
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    We can make calls from the lock screen?

That's great!

Call someone who cares.
  • Reply 37 of 130
    Yes it's a bug! A trick of not using has intended, emergency call.

We all hoped that Apple would implement the emergency call services numbers: (Police, Fire, Ambulance with Dr or other) within
    the emergency feature. This would have been a One touch service of those numbers after hitting Emergency, We (I) asked for
    this implementation would also allow for Location Services to know which country your in & give One Touch Emergency Services
    relating to that country.

This would prevent this bug since it only allows true emergency numbers or your Dr number set by you.
  • Reply 38 of 130
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Magical. My statement obviously implies that the button would be either general use or change depending on the area in which you live, but no, let’s go completely ignore the point and focus on that part of it.

Emphasis on ‘may’.

You keep on defending the undefendable, even when faced with obvious indications that you are wrong and that you don't even know how your phone works.

"If you could call only one number why not only have a 911 button"

Because there are many countries where several emergency numbers exist, like in Europe where you have several numbers for firefighters, ambulance, police, and European emergency number 112.
  • Reply 39 of 130
    I
    ramsay wrote: »
    Go **** yourself.   If you are a man, then stand by your words.  What if Apple does not go bankrupt next week ? Are you going to eat 10 pounds of shit in front of everyone and shout " I am a professional BS.  My prediction was worse than the shit I just ate !"    Sounds fair ?

I don't think you should be allowed on the Internet unsupervised if you can't pick up on sarcasm as blindingly obvious as that.
  • Reply 40 of 130

The TouchID seems to work not only with just fingerprints@

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ngVtQtOV4