Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 161

Well this ist the most quiet update I've ever seen - the website doesn't even add a NEW badge to the iMacs!

• Reply 22 of 161
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    But it still has worse speakers than previous gen iMacs for years, and as a result a worst music playback experience thanks to the funnel-like audio as music is pushed down through that narrow chin. But the narrow chin looks good? OK.

Source: my last 4 computers were iMacs. I love(d) iMacs. I kept this one three months before reselling it and buying a MacBook Air. And no, no no no no no, I won't get speakers to go with the iMac. That's the point of an AIO, people. I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone.
  • Reply 23 of 161
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

i guess Mavricks isn't done yet?

They were never going to be released together. Apple wants you to buy it, just like the first aluminum iMac didn’t ship with Leopard even though said OS was released less than a month later.

Originally Posted by jonaspeter1 View Post

I love how according to Phill Schiller's quote, he avoids using words like 'practical','functional','versitile', 'flexible' and 'expandable'. Unfortunately these are drawbacks of the mac desktop lines....

Does the new account signup page advertise a contest for “Most Vacuous Comment” or something?

• Reply 24 of 161
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Well this ist the most quiet update I've ever seen - the website even doesn't add a NEW badge to the iMacs!

But that's a good thing, right?  One complaint about Apple was that they would wait until they would do a bunch of exciting new stuff in a big splash when incrementally better components were available.  So late in a product cycle, about-to-be-refreshed products compared poorly to the latest and greatest specs from competitors.  If this is a sign of a slightly new Apple, then it means you can be more comfortable just buying an iMac when you need it instead of waiting indefinitely for the next big thing.  Face it, desktop PCs are not where the action is now.  I have two iMacs that my kids use now (and an uncounted number of earlier Macs gathering dust and it's not obvious to me that I'll ever buy another desktop.

• Reply 25 of 161
    It was a factual observation we are 15/16 months without a real refresh. Everyone else's high end portables are Haswell, it's time. The battery life will be fantastic I'm sure.  

There is nothing factual or logical about your comment.

1) The Retina MBPs were updated in early 2013. With there still only being 12 months in a year and this still only being 2013 that means it has to be under 12 months, not he 12 to 15 months you suggest.

2) You are under the erroneous impression that all Apple needs to update the MBPs is to pop in Haswell. I will be sorely disappointed if they update them before the TB2 chips are available as this is needed to run a 4K display properly, which I also expect to be announced next month.

Note the new iMacs do not have TB2; they have two Thunderbolt ports, but that's not the same thing.

PS: You seem like an otherwise reasonable person so why throw that all away just to get one new aspect to the MBP and then have to wait another nearly another year for an update when you can wait another month or two for something better? Let's say that Apple updated the MBPs with Haswell today, you would be happy, right? But then next month they announce all the real updates to the MBPs with a release date in November. If you had bought a new MBP would not then be unhappy? Or would be happy if the Mac portable with Pro in the name couldn't use the 4K display that is released alongside the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 26 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But it still has worse speakers than previous gen iMacs for years, and as a result a worst music playback experience thanks to the funnel-like audio as music is pushed down through that narrow chin. But the narrow chin looks good? OK.

Source: my last 4 computers were iMacs. I love(d) iMacs. I kept this one three months before reselling it and buying a MacBook Air. And no, no no no no no, I won't get speakers to go with the iMac. That's the point of an AIO, people. I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone.

You wouldn't recommend this incredible piece of hardware because you don't want to buy your own speakers, headphones, or other audio monitors? Wouldn't anyone as interested in audio quality as yourself always use external monitors rather than those installed on any desktop out of the box? 

• Reply 27 of 161
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shard View Post

Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks

2. Mac Pro

3. Haswell Macbook Pro Retina (possibly early 2014?)

4. iPad

5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.

Tim Cook was very clear at the Q conference call this spring, saying that Apple would enter new categories this year. Hope he keeps his word on this one, and enter a new category. 

• Reply 28 of 161
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    This made me very happy to see! 4 GB of the 780M as an option. Apple gets it! 1 GB 750M on the 21.5" upper model. Iris Pro on the base, *shrugs* okay fine, they probably felt the 740M wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Can't wait for the MacBook Pro and Mac mini! : D : D
  • Reply 29 of 161
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    This is right in step with Apple's approach to desktops and laptops. Why would they have an event for the launch of post PC products? Even Mavericks won't be a big deal when it launches. The only reason to make an event is for the Mac Pro but that would be just to show off some performance specs and the new updated pro apps that take advantage of Mac Pro. That's not enough to get the public excited.

It's all about the iPad and iPad mini. That's the next event.

Tim Cook did promise a new product category before the year's end. An Apple TV hardware update seems possible but that would hardly be a new category. Any ideas?
  • Reply 30 of 161
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Tim Cook was very clear at the Q conference call this spring, saying that Apple would enter new categories this year. Hope he keeps his word on this one, and enter a new category.

Maybe he was just referring to Apple's bold reentry into the iPhone case market!  (I hope not.)

• Reply 31 of 161
    shard wrote: »
    Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks
    2. Mac Pro
    4. iPad
    5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.

Don't forget the Mac Mini. A Haswell based Mac Mini would be a killer little machine consuming even less power than it does now.
  • Reply 32 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Don't forget the Mac Mini. A Haswell based Mac Mini would be a killer little machine consuming even less power than it does now.

I hope so.  Also mini uses intel's GPUs, so haswell would be a sizable update.

• Reply 33 of 161
    ireland wrote: »
    I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone......

.... in the market for a computer who's looking to live with (chintzy) built-in speakers?
  • Reply 34 of 161
    Originally Posted by shard View Post

1. Mavericks

2. Mac Pro

4. iPad

5. iPad Mini

Mac Mini…

Tim Cook was very clear at the Q conference call this spring, saying that Apple would enter new categories this year.

Source and quote?

…the potential of exciting new product categories

…we don’t talk about them, but we’re looking at them…

Q: Did you mention new product categories in the introduction?

A: One of our areas for growth are potential new categories.

Q: Would that be in the next year?

A: We didn’t announce a specific time frame.

I see zero evidence of “we will enter a new product category”, much less “this year”.

• Reply 35 of 161
    sevenfeet wrote: »

I wonder if they might shrink the size even more. Not only can they market the reduced size but they can also save money on that aluminium shell.

I've wanted to see something with a smaller footprint. Perhaps something like the AEBS, but taller than the current Mac mini so it can fit a 2.5" HDD or two. Those two HDDs could fit sideways in the space the Time Capsule's 3.5" HDD stands upright.

My reasoning is that on a desk, where the Mac mini is likely placed, there tends to be more vertical room than area, and you also want to prevent people from placing things atop it which can cause it to overheat and/or hurt the wireless signal.
  • Reply 36 of 161
    Apple is not repeating their mistake, of last year, but updating the iMac and not shipping until AFTER the holidays. At this point, it's all about Consumers. You will probably see new iPads out before the holidays, but new MacBook Pro's could be early 2014. We shall see...
  • Reply 37 of 161
    I see zero evidence of “we will enter a new product category”, much less “this year”.

Hopes counts as evidence. /s
  • Reply 38 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

I'm surprised Apple haven't chosen to go for a Mac centric event to get a little more focus back on there computing line.

Just a small event where they could Launch new macbook pro's, these new iMacs and the Mac pro as well as Mavericks at the same time.

Kinda odd to have a silent update without waiting for Mavericks when Mavericks is just around the corner.

With the iPhone still taking up all of Apple's media attention, I would have thought I would have made sense to have a slightly bigger gap and then launch all these products together to help gain some publicity for the computing line.

I was thinking the same... but  don't forget the mini.

• Reply 39 of 161
    carthusia wrote: »

You wouldn't recommend this incredible piece of hardware because you don't want to buy your own speakers, headphones, or other audio monitors? Wouldn't anyone as interested in audio quality as yourself always use external monitors rather than those installed on any desktop out of the box? 

For listening to music you might have a case, but for Skype and FaceTime it is a PITA. I have resorted to a plug in speaker on my ipad in order to deal with the same problem-- sound is directed the wrong way. If it is against the wall it might not be a big deal, but that isn't everybody's need.
  • Reply 40 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Tim Cook did promise a new product category before the year's end. An Apple TV hardware update seems possible but that would hardly be a new category. Any ideas?

According to transcripts (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/23/4258272/apple-tim-cook-teases-exciting-new-product-category) he said "Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services that we can't wait to introduce in the fall and into 2014." The "exciting new product categories" will likely be entered next year, not this fall.