Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Comments

• Reply 141 of 161
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

``Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M''

It once again tells me Apple is only serious about OpenCL on their truly Pro machines.

Nvidia OpenCL is absolute garbage.

And yet, Anandtech is reporting the Iris Pro OpenCL performance (which is what's going into the lowest-end iMacs) is pretty good: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/17

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

They should at least start doing Momentus XT hybrid drives as standard, if they are insistent on 5400rpm laptop drives.

Check the IO throughput of the current crop of 5400 rpm drives against the previous generation 7200 rpm drives.  You might be surprised.

FWIW, I temporarily put a Momentus XT hybrid drive in my son's Alienware gaming PC and was underwhelmed with the real-world performance.  "5 times faster", my arse, it's too easy to swamp the SSD "cache".  It's nothing compared to the DIY Fusion drive I put in one of my Mac minis.  And, as of today, the Momentus XT still only comes in the 2.5" form factor.

What I'd really like to see are benchmarks comparing the previous Fusion drives and the new PCIe Fusion drives.

• Reply 142 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin L Franks View Post

Well I found the answer to my dilemma.

With the announcement of the updated iMacs, there are some great deals on refurbished 2012 iMacs. I bought this:

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB memory

1 TB Fusion Drive

GeForce 680MX

...for $1999 + tax. With AppleCare the total came out to under $2,300.

Not bad, I would have paid just over $2,100 for the i5 / 8 GB / 1 TB hard drive (not Fusion) / 680MX plus AppleCare from B&H.

Looking at the benches on the new 7XX chip in the iMac...there's not much in it from the 680MX at all.

If you can get a refurb, go for it.  I have 'last' or 'this' year's top of the line iMac.  It's fast.

The new(!) iMac is a nominal speed bump.  And the prices for integrated graphics on the opening model?  Greedy.

I think we'll see 'nominal' upgrades until it goes retina.

The faster Fusion options are a highlight in terms of the PCIe SSD?  That's about the best thing on this upgrade from what I can see.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 143 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

There used to be a 24" but it was replaced by the 27.

Typical Apple here.

24 inch was a nice option.  It should have been the model that broke the 1k barrier.  But they're still rinsing the supply chain with the cheap as chips 21 inch monitor.

I had the 24 inch previous top of the line when it had the Core 2 Duo and 8800GS.  Good machine.  Decent monitor.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 144 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And yet, Anandtech is reporting the Iris Pro OpenCL performance (which is what's going into the lowest-end iMacs) is pretty good: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/17

What I'd really like to see are benchmarks comparing the previous Fusion drives and the new PCIe Fusion drives.

The new Fusions are looking very decent.  With a decent boost.

In some benches the 'Iris' is showing better than the 650.

It wasn't long ago Apple was charging £675 for an iMac with integrated crappics.  Then it was £999.  Now it's £1149.

I don't see how that is progress for the consumer.  

Iris is better than previous Intel Integrated crappics.  It would have to go some to get any worse than it was.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 145 of 161
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member

Does anyone know whether these things support 4K externally?  Haswell is supposed to use the Redwood Ridge controller, which while still offering Thunderbolt at 10Gbps bidirectionally, updates the Display port to 1.2.  

Thunderbolt 2 supports both 20Gbps bidirectionally AND Displayport 1.2 (4K).

Displayport 1.1a maxes out at 2560x1600

iFixit's teardown suggests that they've kept the same part as used in the ivy bridge controller, in which case no external 4K either.

4K is coming down to consumer prices in the next two years, and the high-end iMac is expensive enough that it should run it on an external monitor, even if a 4K display is too expensive to spec internally at the moment.

• Reply 146 of 161
    My humble opinion: ;) This is without questions the most sexy desktop computer on the market when it comes to design. Only competition comes from Vizio with a very similar look (But like Jobs said "Good artists copy great artists steal" The screen is amazing even if I would love see a 30" version. Regarding 4K screen I think that would be to expensive for next 12 months. Haswell I don't think add that much to a desktop computer in performce. And it's M mobile version of graphic card and 780M is about 20% faster that 680M? Most PC or Windows machines sit with ugly box but they don't use mobile versions and have 2x performance to us so in gaming we still far after.

Even if I love my Air with Haswell I have big hopes for the Macbook Pro! I think there can happen much more than in any other upgrade in the Apple world since Retina.
  • Reply 147 of 161
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    The new Fusions are looking very decent.  With a decent boost.

In some benches the 'Iris' is showing better than the 650.

It wasn't long ago Apple was charging £675 for an iMac with integrated crappics.  Then it was £999.  Now it's £1149.

I don't see how that is progress for the consumer.  

Iris is better than previous Intel Integrated crappics.  It would have to go some to get any worse than it was.

Lemon Bon Bon.

I thought Iris Pro was exclusive to the Haswell mobile processors though the base model iMac proved me wrong. I feel though the reason they went with Iris Pro over the 740M is because the 740M was not felt to be a massive improvement over the 640M from last year. I mean what would you have wanted to pay if they offered a 1 GB 740M option over the Iris Pro in the base model iMac or should it have been standard?
  • Reply 148 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We get that you don't like the iMac.  

• Reply 149 of 161

Sorry if this has been posted but I was getting distracted by a persistent buzzzzzzing in the thread:

Has anybody seen benchmarks for the new machines?

• Reply 150 of 161
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member

I haven't seen any posted.  I guess they tear them down before they test them at iFixit!

• Reply 151 of 161
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ArsTechnica has a review with benchmarks
  • Reply 152 of 161
    I was a bit concerned when it said, same flaws in the ArsTechnica review but after reading I agree a lot with him. Hopefully next year we see SSDs as standard in the new iMacs.
  • Reply 153 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

ArsTechnica has a review with benchmarks

Unfortunately, it's of the base 21" model.  I'd like to see a review of at least the base 27" model.  Hopefully *someone* will get a 27" BTO with the 780M in it, and will post an in-depth review.

• Reply 154 of 161
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bluescale wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's of the base 21" model.  I'd like to see a review of at least the base 27" model.  Hopefully *someone* will get a 27" BTO with the 780M in it, and will post an in-depth review.

Don't know if it will answer any of your questions but here's one:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-2013/4505-3118_7-35827456.html
  • Reply 155 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bluescale View Post

Before tearing it apart!

• Reply 156 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Don't know if it will answer any of your questions but here's one:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-2013/4505-3118_7-35827456.html

That one's not BTO.  It the top baseline model.  I don't really need any questions answered, as I've already dropped my coin and am awaiting delivery.  I'm just fixating now...

• Reply 157 of 161
    Quote:

That one's not BTO.  It the top baseline model.  I don't really need any questions answered, as I've already dropped my coin and am awaiting delivery.  I'm just fixating now...

Be sure to post for us...

• Reply 158 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Be sure to post for us...

My iMac is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  Since tomorrow is also my 14 wedding anniversary, I probably won't give be able to give it *too* much attention.  At least not if I want to make it to my 15th.  Thursday, how...

In the meantime, this is the only review I've found so far that has a review of a BTO iMac:

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-imac-27-inch-2013-review-30299611/

• Reply 159 of 161
    bluescale wrote: »
    My iMac is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  Since tomorrow is also my 14 wedding anniversary, I probably won't give be able to give it *too* much attention.  At least not if I want to make it to my 15th.  Thursday, how...

Off-topic post but congrats to you and have fun with the new iMac.
  • Reply 160 of 161
    Quote:

In the meantime, this is the only review I've found so far that has a review of a BTO iMac:

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-imac-27-inch-2013-review-30299611/

Choices, choices!

Will be waiting.