Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Comments

• Reply 81 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Mavericks does address driver issues in depth, so maybe some of those embarrassing performance numbers are a thing of the past.

I really hope so... I'd love to drop Bootcamp for Batman and Bioshock!

• Reply 82 of 161
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
    Who has 1080p content on their phone?  A Mac or even an iPad I could see.... but an iPhone?

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPhone 5s shoots 1080p

So does the 5. And beyond that, who WOULDN’T have 1080 on their devices? So what the screen can’t show every pixel, you can still play it. And then when it comes time to AirPlay, you have literally the smallest device capable of streaming 1080p to any TV right in your pocket

• Reply 83 of 161
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Great news, I'll be picking up one of these as soon as they start shipping them with Mavericks.  8-)

• Reply 84 of 161
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    andysol wrote: »
    Who has 1080p content on their phone?  A Mac or even an iPad I could see.... but an iPhone?

If you're only going to watch it on the phone, then you'd be correct. But if you're going to Airplay it to a big screen TV, 1080p has value.

Furthermore, if you're recording on you phone and then transferring to your computer to play on the computer or burn a disk, then 1080p is useful, too.
  • Reply 85 of 161
    New Mac Minis soon?
  • Reply 86 of 161
    macapfel wrote: »
    Well this ist the most quiet update I've ever seen - the website doesn't even add a NEW badge to the iMacs!

Maybe it doesn't have a fan.
  • Reply 87 of 161
    john.b wrote: »
    Great news, I'll be picking up one of these as soon as they start shipping them with Mavericks.  8-)

They just might be releasing 10.9 within 1 month, and might make you eligible for a free upgrade.

Did they ever gave notice in advance, or only after a major OSX release?
  • Reply 88 of 161
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
    They just might be releasing 10.9 within 1 month, and might make you eligible for a free upgrade.

Did they ever gave notice in advance, or only after a major OSX release?

All computers purchased after the announcement of the release date of a new OS X have received the OS for free.

• Reply 89 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Where is the retina display version?

I am waiting here with a 3.4 year old iMac.

Waiting.

As much as I would want that myself, I think it is cost-wise not feasible yet. The only 4k panel (32" IGZO by Sharp) currently available is still close to $3k. That would likely be a $5k iMac.

• Reply 90 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All computers purchased after the announcement of the release date of a new OS X have received the OS for free.

True, but in the past they have added that information in the online store. I am quite sure they will still do it, but there must be a reason why they do not mention it anymore... maybe it will indeed become a free update for all.

• Reply 91 of 161
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    As much as I would want that myself, I think it is cost-wise not feasible yet. The only 4k panel (32" IGZO by Sharp) currently available is still close to $3k. That would likely be a $5k iMac.

To be fair, Apple would be buying them in huge quantities, so the price would be somewhat lower, but I agree that it's not yet ready.

I suspect that a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they do have it, though. You're viewing a 27" iMac from a great enough distance that even the current resolution isn't that far off from 'retina'. And if your vision is less than perfect, you may not see any significant improvement at al.
  • Reply 92 of 161
    21.5-inch: 2.9GHz already 2-3 weeks
  • Reply 93 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I suspect that a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they do have it, though. You're viewing a 27" iMac from a great enough distance that even the current resolution isn't that far off from 'retina'. And if your vision is less than perfect, you may not see any significant improvement at al.

That's true. I am happy with the 27" Thunderbolt Display and the resolution is certainly good enough. It would be handy for reviewing 4k footage though, for which we currently need a dedicated display (that is not really useable for anything else). There are certain compression and noise problems which you simply can't detect on lower resolution screens.

• Reply 94 of 161
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    carthusia wrote: »
    You wouldn't recommend this incredible piece of hardware because you don't want to buy your own speakers, headphones, or other audio monitors? Wouldn't anyone as interested in audio quality as yourself always use external monitors rather than those installed on any desktop out of the box? 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 95 of 161
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    True, but in the past they have added that information in the online store. I am quite sure they will still do it, but there must be a reason why they do not mention it anymore... maybe it will indeed become a free update for all.

Or maybe it's no longer much of an issue.

In the old days, upgrading Mac OS was $129. If you were buying a $1500 computer, that might be enough to make you delay your purchase, so they mentioned that you were getting a free upgrade so you didn't wait until the new OS was out.

Today, the OS upgrade is typically $20. At that price, it's not likely to affect your decision. If you need (or want) a new computer in the $2 K range, you're probably not delaying because of a free upgrade that would only cost you $20. So even if they plan to give free upgrades to recent purchasers, there's not that much to be gained by mentioning it.
  • Reply 96 of 161
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Yeah, and since they haven’t told us the release date yet, I don’t think that’s an assumption we can make.

• Reply 97 of 161
    .... in the market for a computer who's looking to live with (chintzy) built-in speakers?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 98 of 161
    jragosta wrote: »
    If you're at all serious about music, you'd have external speakers, anyway. And if you're going to be using external speakers, who cares what the internal audio is like?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 99 of 161
    poksi wrote: »
    My 2011 iMac stays on the table and money in my pocket. Won't change until Retina. Got used to it on Macbook. Same goes for iPad Mini.

Better iTunes experience anyway, thanks to the much better sounding out of the box speakers. But shush, don't tell anyone around here because Apple is never wrong. Ever.
  • Reply 100 of 161
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I formally reject your advice and recommendation. It's nonsense.

I don't care what you do. The speaker experience out of the box is awful. The iMac is an AIO. That's why people buy it. The thin chin is Apple form over function at its worst I have ever seen it.