iPhone demand in China, Japan projected to push Sept. quarter sales to 34.5M

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Projected iPhone sales for the current September quarter continue to edge upward, with the latest survey data suggesting Apple could sell more than 34 million handsets in the soon-to-conclude period.

Huberty


Katy Huberty of Morgan Stanley revealed the latest AlphaWise Smartphone Tracker survey data to AppleInsider on Thursday, which shows iPhone demand in the third quarter of calendar 2013 tracking to 37 million units. While Apple may not be able to supply an iPhone 5s unit to everyone who wants one by the end of the quarter, Huberty believes Apple will ship about 34.5 million handsets during the period.

If her estimate proves to be accurate, that would prove better than the already-increased expectations of 33 million shared by Wall Street watchers. Many analysts' estimates were raise after Apple reported record sales of 9 million units during the launch weekend for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

In particular, consumer interest in Japan and China are responsible for the largest share of the year over year increase in interest in Apple's iPhone, according to the AlphaWise study.

The study, which measures consumer demand, is based on an analysis of Web search results. It found that demand for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c has been considerable even after the devices went on sale last Friday.

Last week, Huberty said that concerns over preorders for Apple's iPhone 5c, and the lack of available preorders for the iPhone 5s, were "overblown." She cited survey data that showed healthy demand for Apple's latest iPhones.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 56
    Still doomed.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    That is 25% growth yoy... .... Lovely!!
  • Reply 3 of 56

    I'm waiting for the China Mobile debut. That should be interesting.

  • Reply 4 of 56
    This whole margins thing kills me. Why is noone else held to this standard.
  • Reply 5 of 56

    She is clearly paid by Apple to say this. Everyone knows that the iPhone is too expensive for China and will be a major flop.

     

    /s

  • Reply 6 of 56
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

    I'm waiting for the China Mobile debut. That should be interesting.


     

    Same here.  That's a LOT of subscribers itching to get their hands on an iPhone.

  • Reply 7 of 56
    This is all great news, but I get nervous when Apple sales projections start flowing. Every analyst who has derided Apple during the quarter suddenly decides to project sales that cannot be beat. When that happens, the analysts punish the stock and have negative talking points to express for the next three months.

    Heck, even Gene Munster has decided to raise is head again to announce he expects Apple to lower the prices of the iPhones 5C, 4S and 4 if not by December 2013 then definitely by March 2014 due to aging iPhones. For some reason the article quoting used "we" instead of @he". I sensed he was attempting to delay or prevent a lawsuit from occurring if he gets another Gene Munster analysis wrong.

    I want him sued for pretty much calling Tim Cook a liar about iPhone sales instead of just apologizing for being wrong. Did he not know Apple informed the SEC the sales would have a material effect on Apple's announced projected income for the quarter?
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Dear analysts... I hear McDonald's is raising the wage to $15/hour. Sounds like a good career move for you.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

    Dear analysts... I hear McDonald's is raising the wage to $15/hour. Sounds like a good career move for you.

     

    Manual labor? Accountability for their work? Daily schedules? Eh…

  • Reply 10 of 56
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

     

     

    Same here.  That's a LOT of subscribers itching to get their hands on an iPhone.


     

    It is already estimated that between 42 and 46 million CM are using an iPhone.

  • Reply 11 of 56
    dugbug wrote: »
    This whole margins thing kills me. Why is noone else held to this standard.

    Since Apple is nearly the only company earning money (like in "obscene" amount of money), Wall Street needs to wreck Apple.

    Samsung announces nothing about its shipments (uh sales, shipments) and that is okay around the world. Amazon loses money nearly every quarter and that is okay. Google sells its hardware at break even or loss prices and that is okay even though Google earns more money from iOS than Android (go figure). I could go on, but will not.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post



    This is all great news, but I get nervous when Apple sales projections start flowing. Every analyst who has derided Apple during the quarter suddenly decides to project sales that cannot be beat. When that happens, the analysts punish the stock and have negative talking points to express for the next three months.



    Heck, even Gene Munster has decided to raise is head again to announce he expects Apple to lower the prices of the iPhones 5C, 4S and 4 if not by December 2013 then definitely by March 2014 due to aging iPhones. For some reason the article quoting used "we" instead of @he". I sensed he was attempting to delay or prevent a lawsuit from occurring if he gets another Gene Munster analysis wrong.



    I want him sued for pretty much calling Tim Cook a liar about iPhone sales instead of just apologizing for being wrong. Did he not know Apple informed the SEC the sales would have a material effect on Apple's announced projected income for the quarter?

     

    Unofficially, apparently some Chinese vendors have already lowered the price of the 5c by 17.5%. The equivalent of moving the price of the 5c to $454 in the US.

  • Reply 13 of 56
    Well, hell, maybe Apple will make gobtons of money this year, but because its so 'unpopular' it will get downgraded again. Maybe soon it will have a YOY sales increase of 50% and have its PE value dragged to -50. Then the stock pages can show a dash for the PE value, like they do for Amazon with its PE of 3,500 and it is utterly meaningless.

    In other words, Apple profits have reached a level of meaninglessness.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

     
    I could go on...


    Please do.

  • Reply 15 of 56
    Thanks for the laugh, anantksundaram.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Its a win for everyone.  Apple keeps its margins, Customers get a good price, and vendors get foot traffic and commissions from carriers.


     

    As long as vendors remain happy with their cut.

  • Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Manual labor? Accountability for their work? Daily schedules? Eh…


     

    You're right. Taco Bell would be better for them.

  • Reply 18 of 56
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

     
    I could go on...


     



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    Please do.


     

    Well, _I_ will, if only to note that after Steve-o was berated for years for not paying dividends or buying stock back, that Apple just completed the _largest quarterly stock buyback in the history of Wall Street_, according to this guy.

     

    And the effect was... well, basically, it had no effect, as far as I can tell, on the stock price.

     

    I think Steve was right.

  • Reply 19 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Projected iPhone sales for the current September quarter continue to edge upward, with the latest survey data suggesting Apple could sell more than 34 million handsets in the soon-to-conclude period.

    <div align="center"><img src="http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/huberty-130926.jpg" border="0" width="660" height="396" alt="Huberty" /></div>

    That's a stupid chart. I couldn't care less how this analyst compares to other analysts. It would make far more sense to graph the consensus estimate (and/or individual analyst predictions) against Apple's actual reported numbers. Then we'd know which analyst is more reliable.
    Since Apple is nearly the only company earning money (like in "obscene" amount of money), Wall Street needs to wreck Apple.

    Samsung announces nothing about its shipments (uh sales, shipments) and that is okay around the world. Amazon loses money nearly every quarter and that is okay. Google sells its hardware at break even or loss prices and that is okay even though Google earns more money from iOS than Android (go figure). I could go on, but will not.

    That's about right.
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Well, _I_ will, if only to note that after Steve-o was berated for years for not paying dividends or buying stock back, that Apple just completed the _largest quarterly stock buyback in the history of Wall Street_, according to this guy.

    And the effect was... well, basically, it had no effect, as far as I can tell, on the stock price.

    I think Steve was right.

    The problem is that you have no way of knowing what effect it had on the stock price. They bought back a couple percent of the stock. That couple percent difference gets lost in the day to day swings. Once they've completed the $60 B buyback (about 15% of the stock), the difference will be apparent.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,866member
    1. I thought there was no growth left
    2. Channel stuffing in China / Japan

    /s
Sign In or Register to comment.