Asus, HTC, LG and other Android licensees join Samsung in faking test results

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Cheating test scores and misrepresenting device capabilities are rampant at Samsung, but are also being used by virtually every other Android licensee apart from Google itself, research shows.

Samsung cheat.jar

Samsung has been shamed twice this year by confirmed reports of its intentional falsification of performance benchmarks involving both of its flagship products: the Galaxy S4 and Note 3.

According to testing by Anand Lal Shimpi and Brian Klug of AnandTech, benchmark cheats are not limited to Samsung, but rather pandemic among Android licensees.

"With the exception of Apple and Motorola," the site observed, "literally every single OEM we?ve worked with ships (or has shipped) at least one device" that similarly fudges benchmarks.

Even the cheating on Android is fragmented

However, since each Android licensee cheats in different ways on different types of benchmarks, it's difficult to benchmark the benchmark cheating. It's also hard to convince them to stop, authors stated.

"Virtually all Android vendors appear to keep their own lists of applications that matter and need optimizing," the report observed. "The lists grow/change over time, and they don?t all overlap. With these types of situations it?s almost impossible to get any one vendor to be the first to stop. The only hope resides in those who don?t partake today, and of course with the rest of the ecosystem."

The lone holdout to Android's rampant cheating is Google and its Motorola subsidiary and Nexus brand. However, those products collectively make up only a tiny fraction of Android sales, and are intended to serve as a guiding reference model to other Android licensees.

Specifically, Google's "pure Android" products intend to demonstrate to mass Android manufacturers how to deliver clean, updated products that take advantage of features in the latest version of the OS, enable uses to get timely updates after purchase and direct users' attention and revenue exclusively to Google.

Android licensees haven't followed Google's lead in any of those respects. Instead, Chinese and Korean hardware makers have done the same thing they did to Microsoft Windows in the PC market: race to the bottom to deliver super cheap products that cheat on specs, substitute substandard components, skimp on build quality and direct attention to their own layers of junkware, ads and subscription plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 141
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Par for the course. These cats are scared, coming out of denial painfully aware that iOS's got their number and is many places to the left of their dismal trail.

Hootenanny on the horizon and Androiders not invited.
  • Reply 1 of 141
    Double post yet only submitted once. Sorry.

Addendum.

But since I yam here already: kudos to Google (spit) for at least trying to set some standards for its fellow gangsters. Samsung no learny, no copy. :D
  • Reply 3 of 141
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • Reply 4 of 141
    So THAT'S why the Samsung shills are so defensive: cheating on benchmarks is normal for Android phones. :D
  • Reply 5 of 141

So, if Google isn't even getting ad revenue for many Android devices, why keep Android open and basically free?

• Reply 6 of 141
    Notice the similarity? American companies such as Apple and Google have a higher ethical standard and Asian companies lie and cheat regularly. Different cultures.
  • Reply 7 of 141
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sambira wrote: »
    So, if Google isn't even getting ad revenue for many Android devices, why keep Android open and basically free?

They aren't getting ad revenue from users of Google Android devices?
  • Reply 8 of 141
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

These fake and fraudulent test scores don't affect me of course, as I would never, ever be caught dead with one of those Android phones, but in some small sort of way, I do feel slightly sorry for all of the pathetic Fandroids out there.

All of the little things that Fandroids think are important are totally meaningless, and they are even more meaningless now than before. Who gives a crap about your specs or your benchmarks? Your benchmarks are a fraud and so are you, little boy. Now, go take your laggy, malware infested, 8 GB RAM, 6" octo-core fraud of a phone between your legs and hurry up home to mommy. Scoot.

These fake results and deceptive practices also highlight the sorry state of Android in general. Many Android vendors have no shame at all in their blatant copying, so I can't say that I'm all that surprised that they would stoop to these levels. 

• Reply 9 of 141
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    i bet you wont wsj taking about this or cnbc
  • Reply 10 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

i bet you wont wsj taking about this or cnbc

I dunno… since it’s more than one company, they can slip in “Android is lying to customers” somewhere.

• Reply 11 of 141
    jack baker wrote: »
    Notice the similarity? American companies such as Apple and Google have a higher ethical standard and Asian companies lie and cheat regularly. Different cultures.

Not nice JB. :no:

Look at big pharma. Scruple missing in the poor ethics race. Big corps anywhere do chase the money, leaving their morals in the outhouse.
  • Reply 12 of 141
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

What's pathetic behavior are the fandroids in other threads essentially spinning the cheating the Android makers are doing.  One that is beginning to show a lot of wear-and-tear is the "They are not cheating, they are simply underclocking all the normal apps to extend battery life and to prevent the CPU from running hot.  They only let benchmark apps have full resources" nonsense.

Bunch of whiny, pathetic, hypocrites.  I'll say it again like I do with everything else these Fandroids let slide.  Had Apple done anything even remotely similar, it would be on every single news outlet, and these same basement-dwelling a$$hat fandroids would be screaming class-action lawsuits against Apple.

Vermin they are.

• Reply 13 of 141
    sambira wrote: »

It becomes more influential the more it is used, and Google along with it.
  • Reply 14 of 141
    >> Originally Posted by jpmia
    >> i bet you wont wsj taking about this or cnbc

> I dunno… since it’s more than one company, they can slip in “Android is lying to customers” somewhere.

They'd have to slip in that "Apple is lying to customers" before it's big "news".
  • Reply 15 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    <h2>Even the cheating on Android is fragmented</h2>

Best line of the whole article.
  • Reply 16 of 141
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Vermin they are.

Sir, you are too kind.

• Reply 17 of 141
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sir, you are too kind.

Yes.. you are absolutely correct.  I apologize in earnest to all the vermins I offended by including Fandroids in their group.  What's the word for a full hole from retired outhouse?  It's full of sh!t like they are right?

• Reply 18 of 141
    Whatever.
    How many people actually BUY a phone based on benchmarks?
    One or three?
  • Reply 19 of 141
    I think Anand Lal Shimpi and Brian Klug of AnandTech should be linked.
  • Reply 20 of 141
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Par for the course. These cats are scared, coming out of denial painfully aware that iOS's got their number and is many places to the left of their dismal trail.

Hootenanny on the horizon and Androiders not invited.

I partially agree, and partially think they're more trying to cheat against each other than against Apple. (Given how the Android market is so focused on specs, soundbites and bullet points, to the detriment of actually delivering a good experience.)

But I 100% think your metaphors are rare poetry!