Former iOS chief Scott Forstall may testify in upcoming Apple v. Samsung retrial

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If things weren't bad Scott would still be with Apple, no? Unless he voluntarily chose to leave. But no one has ever suggested that was the case.

With raised positions of authority, in any occupation, the Ego gets in the way. Scott always had a healthy Ego when he was working on AppKit. At NeXT he and I got into once directly over a misunderstanding, leading him to accuse ignorantly and leading me to tell him to eff' off he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Physically, my 6'2" 215 wasn't worried about the domineering Scott. Perhaps some people can't handle a good brush up of Egos. I owned my responsibilities.

He apologized for the confusion and I made sure the elevated status was resolved.

Ultimately, Mark, Ozi and myself made sure Avi had the IBM Thinkpad Steve ending up demonstrating multiple copies of NeXTTime running on unreleased Openstep APIS and more to the world, but not before we had to be at work till around 3AM.

Scott's a very smart man. Perhaps people just became fearful of their position instead of telling him to shove it when he needed it. I wasn't there then.

Then again, no boss has ever convinced me their presence is infallible. Hell, we weren't even in the same groups so I really couldn't give a crap how it settled with him then, so long as he made it clear what it was for and that Management failed to inform me before dumping on my desk at 6 pm on a Friday.

• Reply 42 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I know. It just sounded funny to say. Don't take it personally, unless you're Scott Forstall. And for the record, skeumorphism doesn't bother me.

I don't take it personally. I wasn't keen on Skeumorphism. I'm a product of the purity of NeXTSTEP, so having my calendar look like an old banking calender or my notepad look like a note pad has always looked over done.

Unfortunately, we've moved to sheer stupidity with iOS 7's UI control design.

Instead of a solid set of controls that are indifferent to color and maintain a solid shape/form symmetry we've gotten a purely flat UI that really is beneath the functional improvements of the OS.

Then again I would have told Tim to back off making Jony [Industrial Design] in charge of UI Design. That's just pure ego padding to keep Mr. Thin is never too thin happy.

The more somber and morose sounding Ivy gets with his `introspective' recorded monologues on Keynotes the more I want to interrupt them and mock the hell out of him.

If anyone's ego needs to get knocked down [internal to Apple] it's his.

• Reply 43 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't take it personally. I wasn't keen on Skeumorphism. I'm a product of the purity of NeXTSTEP, so having my calendar look like an old banking calender or my notepad look like a note pad has always looked over done.

Unfortunately, we've moved to sheer stupidity with iOS 7's UI control design.

Instead of a solid set of controls that are indifferent to color and maintain a solid shape/form symmetry we've gotten a purely flat UI that really is beneath the functional improvements of the OS.

Then again I would have told Tim to back off making Jony [Industrial Design] in charge of UI Design. That's just pure ego padding to keep Mr. Thin is never too thin happy.

The more somber and morose sounding Ivy gets with his `introspective' recorded monologues on Keynotes the more I want to interrupt them and mock the hell out of him.

If anyone's ego needs to get knocked down [internal to Apple] it's his.

I found this on quora:
    http://www.quora.com/Apple-Inc-2/What-is-Jonathan-Ive-like-in-person

I work at Apple.

Jony Ive is a proper thorough British gentleman. You never hear him yell at anyone, he is extremely cool minded, never gets frustrated, and will spend hours on end with his designers to perfect a product Apple is making.

He is truly remarkable and inspirational. Not the kind of person you would think to head Apple, but the kind of person you want to be someday.

I don't want to dive into personal details here. But a truly nice personality to work with. He will hold the door open for you no matter who you are. :)

I'd be curious to know what the feeling is inside Apple vs. outside. Because if the feeling inside is that Ive has too much power and an oversized ego I'm surprised that has never leaked. Because we know there are websites that would throw up stories like that in a heartbeat. In fact I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen more iOS 7 stories, especially if there were any internal conflicts over direction. Instead we get Apple throwing Ive and Federighi to the media portraying them as best buddies.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    Apple may call on Schiller, Forstall, and other high ranking employees and experts during an upcoming retrial over damages previously vacated by <em>Apple v. Samsung</em> presiding Judge Lucy Koh.

I wonder if they'll have the same court sketch artist. The last one made a beautiful job capturing Forstall:

Schiller not so much:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10013428.html
  • Reply 45 of 47
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    I really wish people who never worked with Scott and the rest at Apple would stop commenting on their relations. The man was a former colleague of mine and it truly is pathetic the myths behind the guy that ring very similar to the clap trap exaggerations that were Steveisms.
    ...former colleague of mine...

he was a former colleague of yours, but why have you not mentioned that he is also friend?...

you are sticking up for him, yet do not mention he is a friend...

is scott forstall a "fair weather" friend?, is he just a "hey" friend?, or is he just a Former Business Colleague...?

if it is a great guy, would you not have keep in touch with him?...
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Good. Windows needs more wood grain and green felt.

I don't get the hate for skeuomorphism. It makes things look nice and is intuitive. What's so horrible about having a gaming app look like a gaming table? I think it's just the new thing to hate on. It seems so cool to bash what's popular. Scott may have been an ass but he also helped design one of the best UI's ever. Hmm, what other brash but visionary personality was once kicked out of Apple? I hope Scott is brought back too. iOS 7 is a step back. It's plain, flat, boring and not intuitive.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And where would Joe Belfiore go?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/12/5097158/joe-belfiore-internet-explorer-app-development