Apple planning to launch all-new 12" MacBook, higher-res sixth-gen iPad in 2014

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111

I still have fond memories of my 12" Powerbook G4.  I like the 11.6" air a lot, but a 16:10 12" display would be better for sure.

• Reply 22 of 111
    4k iPad 6th gen seems like a waiste of performance to push all those pixels. Also the capacities will have o be 32g-256g if true...
  • Reply 23 of 111
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

have o be

Why?

• Reply 24 of 111
    4k video and content on apps
  • Reply 25 of 111

The headline is doing nothing but a disservice to Apple and a disservice to truth.

The headline makes it sound like Apple is planning to launch all new 12" MacBook; higher-res sixth-gen iPad in 2014.

The truth: Ming-Chi Kuo claims (without citing his sources) that Apple is planning to launch all new 12" MacBook and higher-res iPad in 2014.

If you can't tell the difference those two statements, you shouldn't be writing headlines for AppleInsider.

Which forces me to ask: is AppleInsider knowingly trying to deceive in their headlines?

• Reply 26 of 111
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

4k video and content on apps

App content wouldn’t be all that big and good luck selling 4K content at all yet…

• Reply 27 of 111

wow, if they bring back a real 12 inch MacBook that would be amazing. I still have my 12 inch powerbook G4 in the closet - good times

• Reply 28 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Can someone explain why this is breaking news?
  • Reply 29 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The headline is doing nothing but a disservice to Apple and a disservice to truth.

The headline makes it sound like Apple is planning to launch all new 12" MacBook; higher-res sixth-gen iPad in 2014.
    The truth: Ming-Chi Kuo claims (without citing his sources) that Apple is planning to launch all new 12" MacBook and higher-res iPad in 2014.

If you can't tell the difference those two statements, you shouldn't be writing headlines for AppleInsider.
    Which forces me to ask: is AppleInsider knowingly trying to deceive in their headlines?
    This headline generates clicks, the other wouldn't.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Nothing that any analyst ever says or predicts can be considered breaking news. Analysts are pretty much dead to me. 

• Reply 31 of 111
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    In my field (university), the 11" MBA is popular with people who won't or can't give up Windows (though that's at only for a minority of universities in Australia now, the rest gone back to the Mac). They hardly ever use the Mac side and use their MBA as a superior super-lightweight PC. (Sad but true!).

The new 12", if true, may replace what I'm typing on (much loved 13" MBAir) for a choice of the 12" whatever-it's-called or the 13" MBPro. Seems reasonable.

Regardless, I've been hanging with some serious photo pros lately (underwater tropical reef) who use older 17" MBPros and I'll venture that there's now a pent-up demand for the return of the big fellas (with retina). You NEED serious real estate for reviewing thousands of high res photos, and these guys want it with them for editing and to show clients etc. what they have.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    "The offering will likely be lighter and slimmer than the existing MacBook Air to further highlight ease of portability in the cloud computing era"

Just bring a 400 to 600 g 7 to 9-inch Mac (whatever form factor: clamshell, slider or tablet). That IS portability of a full computer (not the iOS toy)!
  • Reply 33 of 111

This site is rapidly losing any technical interest for myself. Time to move on.

• Reply 34 of 111
    "Well connected people" need to know Apples DNA as described in the iBook STEVE JOBS AGENDA. Then the news would be more substantial.
  • Reply 35 of 111
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    12" inch MacBook (Air arguably) would totally make sense. All they'd have to do is redesign the bezel of the current 11" so that the screen would once again be 16:10 format with a little less border and the total package would remain largely the same, ie very very portable yet fully functional.

I love my 11" first gen Air, best computer I have ever owned.
  • Reply 36 of 111

I cannot wait for the new MBP!!  I will buy one in the next 6 months regardless of whether the upgrade is significant or simply incremental.

• Reply 37 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    His main prediction this year thus far (a new thinner MacBook Pro Retina in June was wrong. Is AI in bed which this guy or what?
  • Reply 38 of 111
    If increasing resolution causes more strain on the battery, increases the cost of the screen, taxes the processor, etc. is it not logical that there would have to be a benefit justifying such a move? Since there is none, it begs the question, why do it?

The iPad needs more battery life and less weight far more than it does additional screen resolution. For that matter, it doesn't need more screen resolution. It could benefit from more efficient screen technology and is likely to get that but greater pixel density has to be of no interest whatsoever to the engineers at Apple. They likely haven't asked for it and would never wish to make compromises to accommodate it, even if it was offered to them unsolicited.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    carmissimo wrote: »
    If increasing resolution causes more strain on the battery, increases the cost of the screen, taxes the processor, etc. is it not logical that there would have to be a benefit justifying such a move? Since there is none, it begs the question, why do it?

The iPad needs more battery life and less weight far more than it does additional screen resolution. For that matter, it doesn't need more screen resolution. It could benefit from more efficient screen technology and is likely to get that but greater pixel density has to be of no interest whatsoever to the engineers at Apple. They likely haven't asked for it and would never wish to make compromises to accommodate it, even if it was offered to them unsolicited.

The only way 30-40% pixel increase makes sense is if they are increasing the size option of the iPad display. For example, an 11.5" iPad would have a 40% larger display area. If they keep the same pixel density (PPI) as they did with all other iDevice categories that could be why he's getting that number, assuming he's getting them an actual source.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

The new form factor being similar style to the MBP, but way thinner...allowing for a larger, longer lasting battery. Just brilliant! :)

Way thinner, allowing for a larger battery... yeah, you lost be there. 

Me: "My new house will be a lot smaller, so I can put more stuff in it."

Friend: "Brilliant!" 

There will be sarcasm in her voice when she says it.