Apple planning to launch all-new 12" MacBook, higher-res sixth-gen iPad in 2014

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Cool.  Waiting for the 12".  Tried the 11" MBA but the screen is just too small.  The 13" is nice.  But for the price, may as well get a 13" MBP instead.

• Reply 102 of 111
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member

The interesting link to this now seems to be the izgo screens in the iPad air - less everything - power and thickness.  This must be the enabler to a retina air without loss of battery life.  Wether the pro meets the air at 12" size is another thing.

• Reply 103 of 111
    For 2014; all Apple has to do to update the iPad line is to add in: 802.11ac, Champagne color and Touch ID; along with an updated processor with 2GB of RAM !
  • Reply 104 of 111
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Good idea the 11inch is way to small for your eyes. I owned one and sold it within a month.

• Reply 105 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    harry wild wrote: »
    For 2014; all Apple has to do to update the iPad line is to add in: 802.11ac, Champagne color and Touch ID; along with an updated processor with 2GB of RAM !

That 2GB of RAM should have come this year, it is a big short coming and dramatically impacts how developers can leverage the platform with new apps. I'm rather surprised actually that Apple didn't bump RAM this year.
  • Reply 106 of 111

I love to have an iPad Mini - Ultra Retina with ppi of 662!   I may hold off on buying the 2013 model since it doe not have 802.11ac nor Touch ID in it!  But the idea of a doubling of the current 326 ppi would just be super fantastic for my eyes.

• Reply 107 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That 2GB of RAM should have come this year, it is a big short coming and dramatically impacts how developers can leverage the platform with new apps. I'm rather surprised actually that Apple didn't bump RAM this year.

Apple management is trying to squeeze pennies for their bottom line.  An increase of 1GB RAM on the SoC  to 2GB of RAM would hurt their profit margin by about $5 an iPad unless they raise the price by $5 more that is!

• Reply 108 of 111
    harry wild wrote: »
    Apple management is trying to squeeze pennies for their bottom line.  An increase of 1GB RAM on the SoC  to 2GB of RAM would hurt their profit margin by about $5 an iPad unless they raise the price by $5 more that is!

Actually there are a lot of ifs, ands and buts in this discussion. Doing more RAM in the SoC stack might be a problem but the iPad chip use to use external RAM. I'm not sure where RAM resides in the new iPad. You are right I the sense that the silicon is pretty darn cheap, especially considering what more RAM would do for the platform. I'm just not that sure it is cost effective in a stacked chip solution.
  • Reply 109 of 111

The fact that they have named the big size iPad as iPad Air, suggests to me that they are equating the ipadmini to macbook, ipadAir to macbook air and therefore there may be an iPad Pro in the pipe with better resolution and better everything to teach the surface and surface pro a thing or two.

Also, I feel that Apple also thinks that touch on the laptop is only a matter of time - regardless of all the nonsense they make up - what can you do with touch on the desktop/laptop etc. - just like in the past with iPod video.

Mac Pro - for all production houses, animations, films etc. tethered

Macbook Pro - Mobile Mac Pro

Macbook Air - Dead or for execs who still like blackberrys with a keyboard (read archaic and bumbling with a touchscreen)

iPad mini - for all mobile acts for all non-professionals (or professionals' non-professional wife/husband or simply for day to day stuff)

iPad Air - Lighter for executives (the air ... u get the idea)

iPad Pro - for techies who envy the execs but to feel they have something better

No harm in dreaming, is there ?

• Reply 110 of 111
    You are way to familiar with the pigeon hole.
    luvosx wrote: »
    The fact that they have named the big size iPad as iPad Air, suggests to me that they are equating the ipadmini to macbook, ipadAir to macbook air and therefore there may be an iPad Pro in the pipe with better resolution and better everything to teach the surface and surface pro a thing or two.
    It does seem to suggest that. Frankly I'd like to see a iPad of around 12 to 13 inches. But before they do that they really need to bump each and every iPad with more RAM. The constant reloading of web pages is burning up a lot of my bandwidth.
    Also, I feel that Apple also thinks that touch on the laptop is only a matter of time - regardless of all the nonsense they make up - what can you do with touch on the desktop/laptop etc. - just like in the past with iPod video.
    On a conventional laptop I don't see a big demand for Touch. It might work on a convertible but the whole point of a laptop is having that keyboard and screen being there to facilitate data input. Touch screens basically suck at data input.

Mac Pro - for all production houses, animations, films etc. tethered
    Macbook Pro - Mobile Mac Pro
    Macbook Air - Dead or for execs who still like blackberrys with a keyboard (read archaic and bumbling with a touchscreen)
    Your desire to pigeon hole hardware is not very useful at all.
    iPad mini - for all mobile acts for all non-professionals (or professionals' non-professional wife/husband or simply for day to day stuff)
    iPad Air - Lighter for executives (the air ... u get the idea)
    iPad Pro - for techies who envy the execs but to feel they have something better
    For most users the pigeon holes you have above are laughable. For example executives are far more likely to lean towards the Mini rather than the AIR.
    No harm in dreaming, is there ?

Dream away. I really suspect that Apple has a new iPad size coming, it just makes sense to balance out the line up.

As for laptops that is a harder one to nail. I see a lower cost model as being very important to Apples marketing efforts. The question is how low can they go. With ARM 64 they can go very low priced and effectively take units away from the PC world while maintaining margins. A 12" Arm based Mac Book would be very interesting indeed.