Apple planning to launch all-new 12" MacBook, higher-res sixth-gen iPad in 2014

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ireland wrote: »
    His main prediction this year thus far (a new thinner MacBook Pro Retina in June was wrong. Is AI in bed which this guy or what?

I've been wondering the same thing. Recently, his drivel has been sourced from "the well connected Kuo" on AI. The most recent one says "Kuo, who has earned a positive reputation for accurately predicting Apple's future product plans, "

In reality, I haven't seen any evidence that Kuo is any more accurate than any of the other idiots who masquerade as analysts.

I wonder if Kuo pay AI a marketing fee.
  • Reply 42 of 111

Kuo said mbpr haswell will come in mid september... I think he made a lot of predictions like that. Now nobody believes him even if he is right.

• Reply 43 of 111
    Bring back the 17" beast!!! With Retina Display!!!
  • Reply 44 of 111

8-) and absolute brilliant idea, after using from older PowerBooks , to Mac Book Pros  and now only using Airs , after trying the 13 inch  and not liking the size , love the 11 's and they are the best computers  I ever had. The idea of a sharper screen , in a even slimmer  format and only an inch larger is a total sale to me. would love it , hope he is right:wow:

• Reply 45 of 111
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    If he's right a out the new 12" retina MacBook / MacBook Air, I will buy one as soon as they are released (within minutes).
  • Reply 46 of 111
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Name dropping a specific company like Parade makes this sound more like a gambit to up their cred by association than any legit info.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I have fond memories of my sexy 12" Powerbook.

The 12" Air will most likely replace both the 11" and 13" Air.

It will certainly simplify Apple's 2014 product line up:

12" Macbook Air

15" Macbook Air ?

12" Macbook Pro

15" Macbook Pro

• Reply 48 of 111
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    The other rumor sounds like the possibility, the idea of a 12" MacBook sounds like a Digitimes rumor.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    I am greatly relieved that the 12" retina MacBook rumor does not point to a ARM processor powered device.

(Hopefully the 'highly successful' Windows RT Surface convinced Apple to not follow that same path!) :)
  • Reply 50 of 111
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    mr o wrote: »
    It will certainly simplify Apple's 2014 product line up:

12" Macbook Air
    15" Macbook Air ?

12" Macbook Pro
    15" Macbook Pro

A 15" Air would be a good option but perhaps they could just differentiate more between the Macbook and Macbook Pro:

12" 15W Macbook $999
    14" 28-35W dual-core Retina Macbook Pro with Iris $1299, possibly 45W quad-core option with Iris at $1599
    15" quad-core Retina Macbook Pro with Iris or dedicated GPU $1899

This way there is a clearer distinction between the Macbooks and Macbook Pros and the lower Macbook Pros would be better value.
  • Reply 51 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Way thinner, allowing for a larger battery... yeah, you lost be there. 

Me: "My new house will be a lot smaller, so I can put more stuff in it."

Friend: "Brilliant!" 

There will be sarcasm in her voice when she says it.

Comments like these remind me of my GF... I come here to get away from that! Thanks.

What I meant was moving away from the tapered MBA form factor to more of a MBP style, only thinner.

• Reply 52 of 111
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Marvin wrote: »
    A 15" Air would be a good option but perhaps they could just differentiate more between the Macbook and Macbook Pro:

12" 15W Macbook $999
    14" 28-35W dual-core Retina Macbook Pro with Iris $1299, possibly 45W quad-core option with Iris at $1599
    15" quad-core Retina Macbook Pro with Iris or dedicated GPU $1899

This way there is a clearer distinction between the Macbooks and Macbook Pros and the lower Macbook Pros would be better value.

I'd think only a one inch between MBP sizes would be problematic. I don't see the sand issue with a 12" MB/MBA and 13" MBP.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it. Less is more with Apple. How many models of Macs did Apple have before Steve came back and wiped a lot of them out. Focus on a few.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    akqies wrote: »
    Not just higher, but only 30-40% higher despite every single Retina device has been exactly 2x over the previous model.
    Don't let the past dictate what you believe will happen in the future. Apple has repeatedly told developers not to expect nice 2X multipliers.
    The variances of that would likely be the Retina MBA which on the 13" model would likely drop the high-res display (remember that as an option?) to match doubling of the 13" MBP and the iMacs since 2x 27" is a lot more than 4K and 1.5x is exactly 4K, and these are Macs, which run a windowed OS until the iPad. The only thing that seems to have any logical validity on the technical side is the 12" MacBook but is that really needed with the MBAs being priced where the old MacBooks were?

They are using the name Mac Book, which I take to mean the low end laptop. Apple might be shooting for a machine in the $6-800 dollar range to capture some of the low end market. This is especially important because it looks like the bottom fell out of the high end market. MBP haven't been selling well, if you haven't noticed the unusual promotions that Apple had early in the year you might not know this. This is likely due to a few factors but the overwhelming issue is price, followed very closely by functionality.

So the new Mac Book could very well be a plastic replacement for the old one that tracks value a little closer instead of performance and a fancy case. Or it could be a convertible machine with an iPad display that becomes a video monitor for the Mac half of the machine. Aples sales have been clobbered by the economy and this economy isn't likely to get better anytime soon, even if the next election brings intelligence to Washington (impossible?) it will take years to recover from the damage done. So Apple may have no choice but to offer up a machine for tighter wallets.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This site is rapidly losing any technical interest for myself. Time to move on.

Was there ever any technical content here? I have to agree though that the quality of reporting has gone in the crapper. The lack of credible leaks of information from Apple kinda reveals how short the sight is on reporting skills.

By the way I don't mind speculation but it shouldn't be passed off as official news or a certainty lie we are seeing here.
  • Reply 56 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

I thought that the retina was as high as was visible to our eyes? Why go higher unless your in a specs war?

retina is a lie. if a person can't discern pixels on their retina display from apple's magical recommended viewing distance then he or she needs glasses. actually iOS 7's heavy use of light fonts and thin lines makes this even more apparent. 

• Reply 57 of 111
    Originally Posted by oldgirlfeelsold View Post

retina is a lie.

You’re a lie.

if a person can't discern pixels on their retina display from apple's magical recommended viewing distance then he or she needs glasses.

No. Sorry. It’s not possible to see the pixels on a retina iPhone or iPad from the viewing distance. This from someone who can see (painfully) the pixels on a 27” Cinema Display at two feet.

• Reply 58 of 111
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Don't let the past dictate what you believe will happen in the future. Apple has repeatedly told developers not to expect nice 2X multipliers.

Sure, but in no way does that mean Apple will do something radically different just because they can. As previously noted adding 30-40% more pixels to the same size display adds a lot a negatives and no real bonus unless your eyesight is good enough that more than 265 PPI on a 9.7" display that "seeing" the pixels hurts your user experience. It's just not a very Apple-y route to take. Let's remember that they made statements about how developer guidelines before they had any Retina displays.
    They are using the name Mac Book, which I take to mean the low end laptop. Apple might be shooting for a machine in the $6-800 dollar range to capture some of the low end market. This is especially important because it looks like the bottom fell out of the high end market. MBP haven't been selling well, if you haven't noticed the unusual promotions that Apple had early in the year you might not know this. This is likely due to a few factors but the overwhelming issue is price, followed very closely by functionality.

So the new Mac Book could very well be a plastic replacement for the old one that tracks value a little closer instead of performance and a fancy case. Or it could be a convertible machine with an iPad display that becomes a video monitor for the Mac half of the machine. Aples sales have been clobbered by the economy and this economy isn't likely to get better anytime soon, even if the next election brings intelligence to Washington (impossible?) it will take years to recover from the damage done. So Apple may have no choice but to offer up a machine for tighter wallets.

Maybe, but I see an issue with the 13" MBP being too close to the 13" MBA for Apple's liking that they would change it up to make the sizing different to help spread it out.

Also consider that the 11" MBA is $999 WITHOUT a Retina display so I'm not really sure how a 12" Retina MacBook could be $600 simply by going plastic. Even if they use a slower Core chip that isn't a ULV SFF chip the cost would still likely be over $150 for that chip. The iPad is $500 without the same number of pixels expected here but there is a huge cost reduction in other areas.

Finally, consider that it makes more sense to systematically step current products into lower price points since it's like a pyramid shape when it comes to potential buyers. To me this means they would offer no more than $799, $200 less than the current 11" MBA as the next available pricing tier (at the extreme end), but not drop it by $400. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, but I don't think it's very likely.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    retina is a lie. if a person can't discern pixels on their retina display from apple's magical recommended viewing distance then he or she needs glasses. actually iOS 7's heavy use of light fonts and thin lines makes this even more apparent. 

Visual acuity and length of measurement are now "magic" that Apple invented?

• Reply 60 of 111
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ireland wrote: »
    His main prediction this year thus far (a new thinner MacBook Pro Retina in June was wrong. Is AI in bed which this guy or what?
    http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/is-this-analyst-the-most-accurate-apple-product-predictor.html/?a=viewall