Apple's new retail chief was Britain's highest paid CEO, saw sales at Burberry triple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    dabe wrote: »
    Wow, it's truly amazing that you even have to ask!! Proper grammar, whether American or British English, would dictate "... Christopher and me" in this sentence, not Christopher and I.

Who asked?

Edit: ah, I see now. Duh.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

What's wrong with that grammar?

Her sentence was "It gives every associate a platform to talk back to Christoper and I."  It needs to end with "me", as in "talk back to me", not "talk back to I".  But no real person has perfect grammar in their speech.

• Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I don't know if she wrote her dialogue but she states it all very well. She has a Steve Jobs-like enthusiasm when she's asking questions about how to best evolve the brand. I can see her being groomed as the CEO after Tim Cook retires many years from now.

Yeah.  She is very forward thinking.  And she's worked with supply chain and design based companies for years.

• Reply 24 of 77
    Did listen to some of her speeches on YouTube. Not impressive. I doubt she will be making any presentations at Apple events.

My impression of her presentations is she edited herself out of them. Over analyzed, over edited, they don't flow. In that sense, they are neither passionate nor honest.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    normm wrote: »
    Her sentence was "It gives every associate a platform to talk back to Christoper and I."  It needs to end with "me", as in "talk back to me", not "talk back to I".  But no real person has perfect grammar in their speech.

No the correct when talking about yourself and someone else is to use I

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/i-or-me

J
  • Reply 26 of 77
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

She will succeed at Apple. Period.

I agree, and not least because she realises women need and carry handbags.

• Reply 27 of 77

Another thumbs up for that video here.

• Reply 28 of 77
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dabe View Post

Wow, it's truly amazing that you even have to ask!! Proper grammar, whether American or British English, would dictate "... Christopher and me" in this sentence, not Christopher and I.

You are wrong.

Queen Elizabeth II, Nov 1972:

"I think that everybody really will concede that on this, of all days, I should begin my speech with the words 'My husband and I'".

• Reply 29 of 77
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    You are wrong.

"I think that everybody really will concede that on this, of all days, I should begin my speech with the words 'My husband and I'".

Obviously, if one is beginning the speech with "My husband and I," then those words comprise the "subject" of the sentence, not the "object." If they were being used as the object, then it would have been a case of bad grammar. In the sentence at issue, "husband and I" was being used as the object. So, in fact YOU are wrong.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    cnocbui wrote: »

You are wrong.

Obviously, if one is beginning the speech with "My husband and I," then those words comprise the "subject" of the sentence, not the "object." If they were being used as the object, then it would have been a case of bad grammar. In the sentence at issue, "husband and I" was being used as the object. So, in fact YOU are wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You are wrong.

Yup.  When referring to oneself as the subject of a sentence, one should always use "I".

When referring to oneself as the object of a sentence, one should always use "me".

Correct: "I went home."

Incorrect: "Me went home."

Correct: "Give the book to me."

Incorrect: "Give the book to I."

This is true for compound subjects and objects joined by the conjunction "and."

Correct: "She and I went home."

Incorrect: "She and me went home."

Correct: "Give the book to Jane and me."

Incorrect "Give the book to Jane and I."

• Reply 32 of 77
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    dabe wrote: »

I was taught a simple rule in grade school. Does it sound right when you remove the other person from the sentence. IOW, "My husband and I enjoy tea." and "My husband and me enjoy tea." both sound fine to the ear, but only "I enjoy tea." sounds correct. "Me enjoy tea." just a doesn't work.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

She does seem like an excellent choice, although if she makes  a lot of grammatical mistakes, that might start to bug me in a long keynote. It's a small price to pay, though, if she's as good as she seems she might be.

"It gives every associate a platform to talk back to Christoper and I."

• Reply 34 of 77
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

What's wrong with that grammar? (One of) The thing that bugs me with American English though is the propensity to drop the 'ly'. It's proper to say "they speak socially" not "they speak social"!

She was referring to "social" the technology medium (i.e. "Social Media") like Twitter, Facebook, etc.  and not the social gathering.  I think she said it properly.

• Reply 35 of 77
    Personally, I would have hired J.K. Rowling because 1) she's richer and 2) she knows how to sell the magic.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Grammar: In case you haven't seen this, it's funny.

• Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamjam View Post

No the correct when talking about yourself and someone else is to use I

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/i-or-me

J

Wrong. Read your reference again. The "I" in question was in the OBJECT of the prepositional phrase and should therefore be "me" which is the objective form of the pronoun.

• Reply 38 of 77
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

women need and carry handbags.

Come off it.

• Reply 39 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

She seems like a badass.

After watching those videos, I'd have to agree that "badass" is a great adjective for her. What a great fit, both Apple and Burberry are aspirational brands, but with an underlying sense of strong values and purpose. I'm really excited to have her become a part of Apple.

To have her come from being the highest paid UK CEO to a Senior VP position at Apple says a lot about her character/priorities, about Apple itself, and about Tim's ability to convey Apple's purpose and ethos. A huge win all around.

Lastly, her skills with engaging the social aspect of the brand is probably where Apple could use the most help, perfect.

• Reply 40 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    akqies wrote: »
    I can see her being groomed as the CEO after Tim Cook retires many years from now.

She wears outdoor coats indoors though. Plus she's older than Tim so they'll reach retirement age around the same time. Federighi is only 43 and can take over in 10 years, similar age to Ive.