Apple's new retail chief was Britain's highest paid CEO, saw sales at Burberry triple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Marvin wrote: »
    She wears outdoor coats indoors though. Plus she's older than Tim so they'll reach retirement age around the same time. Federighi is only 43 and can take over in 10 years, similar age to Ive.

I didn't realize she was older than Tim.

She's quite a bit older than me but I'd go out with her… just as soon as my imaginary relationship with Diane Lane ended.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Here's a video of her and her work at Burberry:

She seems like a badass.

EDIT:  I found this Ted Talk with her.  This answers your question very well.  Seems she likes to hold an iPad Mini during her talks.

EDIT 2:  This video seems almost like her interview at Apple - except it was from 2012.  She'll be an asset to Apple:

Apple fangirl 100%! :) 

• Reply 43 of 77
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

She wears outdoor coats indoors though. Plus she's older than Tim so they'll reach retirement age around the same time. Federighi is only 43 and can take over in 10 years, similar age to Ive.

Yah, June vs November 1960.

• Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Apple does practice those keynotes a lot so hopefully they catch things like that. If not I predict a bit of cringing for Retrogusto and I. It's really is a bit much to put up with. My friends and me might even skip the keynote. image

It's excellent Queen's English. That particular phrase is better spoken than written, I might add.

I wouldn't skip any keynotes just because a woman with a slightly different dialect is speaking. Seriously.

• Reply 45 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Yup.  When referring to oneself as the subject of a sentence, one should always use "I".

When referring to oneself as the object of a sentence, one should always use "me".

Correct: "I went home."

Incorrect: "Me went home."

Correct: "Give the book to me."

Incorrect: "Give the book to I."

This is true for compound subjects and objects joined by the conjunction "and."

Correct: "She and I went home."

Incorrect: "She and me went home."

Correct: "Give the book to Jane and me."

Incorrect "Give the book to Jane and I."

"Jane and me went to the library."? Nah…  Jane and I.

"He went to the library with Jane and me."? Even if correct, it feels unnatural. I would use "I" in that case.

That last is the closest to her usage in, "Christopher and I". 

You can argue "proper English" all day. It is a living language, ever evolving. How we use it is how it IS, rightly or wrongly.

In this case, I think her application was correct. In the Queen's English in particular. 

"You are free to join Christopher and I in the board room." is likely the most common way to put that, not "You are free to join Christopher and me in the board room."  The nuance is important. It feels quite different, all grammatical points aside. I understand why "I" is preferred. If it's wrong, perhaps it's time for the rules to change. Again. 

• Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Her sentence was "It gives every associate a platform to talk back to Christoper and I."  It needs to end with "me", as in "talk back to me", not "talk back to I".  But no real person has perfect grammar in their speech.

Pathetic and embarrassing that you graduated from Middle school, if you can't grasp the use of I.

• Reply 47 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    akqies wrote: »
    Language does not work that way. You feeling a word sounds more correct one way does not mean it's incorrect when use in another way.

Even English grammar varies a bit around the world. Beyond that if you come from yet another culture it is hard to drop elements from the language common there. For example a person of French origin may have lived in an English speaking country for years and still talk with a French flavor.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Even English grammar varies a bit around the world. Beyond that if you come from yet another culture it is hard to drop elements from the language common there. For example a person of French origin may have lived in an English speaking country for years and still talk with a French flavor.

For example, I like the British aluminium over aluminum but don't like how they say schedule.

PS: The British spelling and pronunciation is not the original. They altered it after the fact yet it seems way too many people think it's the other way around.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Here's a video of her and her work at Burberry:

She seems like a badass.

That video is literally the first time I've seen a CEO from another company talk and sound like they were in Apple's league.  Hell, she seems like she could move apple forward dramatically.... those retail features are far more forward thinking than what Apples' doing now.  Apple retail was innovative when it first came out, but it hasn't been moving forward as fast as she has been moving Burberry forward it seems.

WOW.   Badass is right!

• Reply 50 of 77
    Pathetic and embarrassing that you graduated from Middle school, if you can't grasp the use of I.
    It isn't even clear that it is a mistake given her English background.

What is worst is people making all this noise about what they think is a grammar error in a speech. Anybody that has ever done public speaking has made errors during a speech. It is a fact of life. At least she didn't call the TB ports FireWire ports.
  • Reply 51 of 77

Yves Saint Laurent's CEO is only good enough to run special projects at Apple. But Burberry's CEO has the clout to take over online and in-store sales. Interesting. One thing is for sure - Angela Ahrendts is an upgrade to the fashion sense of the executive ranks at Cupertino. We will no longer see only untucked shirts and jeans at Apple's special events.

Did Ahrendts impress Cook when Apple and Burberry worked on co-marketing the iPhone 5s? Or did Burberry gain early glimpse of 5s as Ahrendts was interviewing for the job?

• Reply 52 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

"He went to the library with Jane and me."? Even if correct, it feels unnatural. I would use "I" in that case.

Actually, to say "he went to the library with Jane and I" sounds to me like you did go to elementary school.

Whatever floats your boat....

• Reply 53 of 77
    akqies wrote: »
    For example, I like the British aluminium over aluminum but don't like how they say schedule.

PS: The British spelling and pronunciation is not the original. They altered it after the fact yet it seems way too many people think it's the other way around.

The use of the word scheme has a more positive meaning in Britain than the USA. In Britain it seems to be OK to use the word in advertising and so forth in the same way we would use the word plan. In the USA a person with a scheme is likely up to no good. The word may reference a plan in both countries, but in the US schemes are often seen in a negative light, criminal even.

There are a lot of confusing differences between the two countries language wise with phrases often having meanings 180 degrees apart. I don't know enough about English in Britain to even comment on her usage, I do know enough not to criticize what is in effect another dialect.

Beyond that, the little bit I've heard of her so far indicates to me that she is probably far smarter than most of the people posting here as grammar Nazis.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't mean this remotely in a sexist way -- perhaps its just reflective of my shallowness, more than anything else -- but its nice to have someone attractive-looking in Apple's senior management.

Ive comes close, but not quite..... the rest (Cook, Oppenheimer, Frederighi, Shiller) are not exactly easy on the eye.:) 

• Reply 55 of 77
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    New plaid iMacs?
  • Reply 56 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    New plaid iMacs?
    You do realize she removed the famous plad from 90% of Burberry products?
  • Reply 57 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't mean this remotely in a sexist way -- perhaps its just reflective of my shallowness, more than anything else -- but its nice to have someone attractive-looking in Apple's senior management.

Ive comes close, but not quite..... the rest (Cook, Oppenheimer, Frederighi, Shiller) are not exactly easy on the eye.:) 

I believe Federighi is an attractive man, particularly with his hair and smile. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And in this arena, it is more about charisma than looks. On that front, advantage Federighi again.

• Reply 58 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You do realize she removed the famous plad from 90% of Burberry products?

In haste to copy and paste this observation from elsewhere, I think (methinks?) you've misinterpreted the connotation.

• Reply 59 of 77
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It isn't even clear that it is a mistake given her English background.

What is worst is people making all this noise about what they think is a grammar error in a speech. Anybody that has ever done public speaking has made errors during a speech. It is a fact of life. At least she didn't call the TB ports FireWire ports.

She's American.

Good point about speaking. In any case I bet her grasp of the English language is better than most posters on this forum.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

She's American.

Good point about speaking. In any case I bet her grasp of the English language is better than most posters on this forum.

That makes sense. After all, the expertise of most posters is in either experts in product design or accounting, as indicated by the posts.