Facebook advertisers see 1,790% higher returns on iOS than Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    sflocal wrote: »

Apparently, when Nike first released the Fitband v1.0, they did have an Android app for it.  Nike abandoned it after that and that enraged the fandroid tech forums.  I guess Nike felt that the ROI on developing for Android was not worth the effort, but tell that to the roid-raged fandroids.  They just refuse to acknowledge that it's just not worth the effort to support such a botched, crappy system where the majority of the users wouldn't even buy Nike's product!

But no... fandroids just continue to sip their own tainted brand of kool-aid while living in their own reality-distortion-field.

It does seem reasonable to assume the typical Android user would buy some cheap knock off from South Korea rather than genuine Nike product.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    "...advertisers see 1,790% higher returns on iOS than Android"

One has to wonder if many Androids actually have internet accounts! Or are most of them used to walk around with pretending they do? I mean, after all, there are a trillion sold per day. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 23 of 124
    sflocal wrote: »

Apparently, when Nike first released the Fitband v1.0, they did have an Android app for it.  Nike abandoned it after that and that enraged the fandroid tech forums.  I guess Nike felt that the ROI on developing for Android was not worth the effort, but tell that to the roid-raged fandroids.  They just refuse to acknowledge that it's just not worth the effort to support such a botched, crappy system where the majority of the users wouldn't even buy Nike's product!

But no... fandroids just continue to sip their own tainted brand of kool-aid while living in their own reality-distortion-field.
    I would love to know where you get this kind of bogus info?

Nike had the SDK and API ready for distribution last summer. Tim Cook is on Nike's board of directors. Guess who nixed the API in favor of Apple exclusivity? Take a wild guess.

BTW, it is the Nike+ Fuelband. Not 'fitband'. At least get the product name correct before going into derp mode.
  • Reply 24 of 124

Why would this be surprising? Most Android users are not 'smart phone' users. That is not a degradation towards them, but the fact that most of the Android market is 'Feature-Smart' where people want mostly just a phone, but opt for the larger screen. Price point, Android wins. For those wanting a Smart Phone to use as a smart phone was intended, buys Apple for the most part. 

Cheap phones will [probably] always be the vast majority, simply because most people just want a phone to make calls, text, and perhaps share photos. It will take another couple (2-3) generations before computing is done handheld by the masses. 

• Reply 25 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

Between UA, ad blocking, custom ROMs and Apple webkit, the short answer is: 'sort of'.

Whew! I was worried there for a moment that Apple was relevant.

• Reply 26 of 124
    Whew! I was worried there for a moment that Apple was relevant.
    Apple is relevant. Never said otherwise. It is just much simpler to get analytics from iDevices.
  • Reply 27 of 124
    First, seriously? Someone actually clicks on stupid Facebook ads? iOS users click on them like they've got the antidote or something. That's what needs to get answered: Why the F are they clicking on stupid Facebook ads in the first place?
  • Reply 28 of 124

Slight math correction for the author:  One order of magnitude means 10x.  Two orders of magnitude means 100x.  While the ~18x is certainly a very, very impressive number, it is not even close to being "nearly two orders of magnitude higher".  When I see this type of error in the mainstream media (especially prevalent on CNN) I usually just ignore it.  But I've come to respect some of the in-depth reporting from this site, so it pains me to see it here.  Hopefully this comment is construed as helpful as opposed to snarky.  Cheers!

• Reply 29 of 124
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Google still allows ad blocking apps, they just don't bake it in any more. Check their Chrome store if you want to see. Additionally,  anyone that throws a ROM on their Android device usually has ad blocking built in. There is even specific ad blocking against social networks available to Android users, so you never even see those annoying +1 or "Like" buttons.  I always enjoy reading the comments on this site. Makes me giggle every time. Cheerio.

Spin in all you like but the average Fandroid doesn't install ad blockers or adds a custom ROM.
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    I would love to know where you get this kind of bogus info?

Nike had the SDK and API ready for distribution last summer. Tim Cook is on Nike's board of directors. Guess who nixed the API in favor of Apple exclusivity? Take a wild guess.

Thats a good one. So Andrea Jung is on Apple's board so I guess Avon used to get exclusive beauty apps on the iPhone.

I didn't know Nike only had one board member and the CEO of Nike can't make a decision on his own.
  • Reply 30 of 124
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

the average Fandroid doesn't install ad blockers or adds a custom ROM.

This is true.  Any ad blocker worth using on Android has always required root access and most users don't root their phones. 

However, in this thread the discussion of using ad blockers is largely irrelevant as ad blockers like AdAway (by far the most popular) don't block Facebook's ads.

• Reply 31 of 124
    droidftw wrote: »
    However, in this thread the discussion of using ad blockers is largely irrelevant as ad blockers like AdAway (by far the most popular) don't block Facebook's ads.

That's what I was wondering.

They're talking about ads inside the Facebook app, right?

If so... then ad blockers wouldn't factor into that at all.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    First, seriously? Someone actually clicks on stupid Facebook ads? iOS users click on them like they've got the antidote or something. That's what needs to get answered: Why the F are they clicking on stupid Facebook ads in the first place?

And why are all the Facebook haters actually bragging about this information? I actually find it troublesome.
  • Reply 33 of 124
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Yes they would, ad blockers can block in-app ads.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Thats a good one. So Andrea Jung is on Apple's board so I guess Avon used to get exclusive beauty apps on the iPhone.

I didn't know Nike only had one board member and the CEO of Nike can't make a decision on his own.

Do you really believe that he couldn't influence the other board members or CEO in any mutually beneficial way, or that Nike stayed iOS only out of the goodness of their hearts and their love for all things Apple?

• Reply 35 of 124
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes they would, ad blockers can block in-app ads.

Android ad blockers don't block Facebook ads on the mobile site.  I'd imagine the same applies for ads in the Facebook app as well.  While Android ad blockers can block both in-app ads and ads on mobile sites, Facebook is currently a bit of an exception to this rule.  Facebook ads show up in your news feed and straight from Facebook.  If Facebook were to use a common ad service then the ads would be blocked.  Instead, Facebook IS the ad service.  Android ad blockers work by keeping a blacklist in the hosts file.  To add Facebook to that list would block all access to Facebook.

• Reply 36 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRealCBONE View Post

Perhaps because they are higher income folks, therefore have a greater opportunity cost of time, therefore are quite happy to waste less time searching for stuff they want/need if an ad server system is smart enough to put something in front of them that they want/need?

In other words, Androiders -- assuming they even get the web, which they don't seem to all that much compared to iOS users -- are poorer, have less to do, and are therefore more willing to waste a lot of time searching for the cheapest stuff on the web.

• Reply 37 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps because they are higher income folks, therefore have a greater opportunity cost of time, therefore are quite happy to waste less time searching for stuff they want/need if an ad server system is smart enough to put something in front of them that they want/need?

In other words, Androiders -- assuming they even get the web, which they don't seem to all that much compared to iOS users -- are poorer, have less to do, and are therefore more willing to waste a lot of time searching for the cheapest stuff on the web.

Wow. That was pitiful.

• Reply 38 of 124
    Wow. That was pitiful.

Of course it was. Android types are, indeed, pitiful.

Let me add to my prior explanation. The results reported here are based on Facebook, which, even though global, gets only a tiny portion of its ad revenue from poor countries. As you know, it's in those countries -- e.g., India, China (and I am not making a value judgement here) -- that Android dominates.

Now, connect the dots. 8-)
  • Reply 39 of 124
    Why would this be surprising? Most Android users are not 'smart phone' users. That is not a degradation towards them, but the fact that most of the Android market is 'Feature-Smart' where people want mostly just a phone, but opt for the larger screen. Price point, Android wins. For those wanting a Smart Phone to use as a smart phone was intended, buys Apple for the most part. 

Cheap phones will [probably] always be the vast majority, simply because most people just want a phone to make calls, text, and perhaps share photos. It will take another couple (2-3) generations before computing is done handheld by the masses. 

This is something that people tend to forget.

There is so much time spent talking about flagship Android phone like the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3... but "Android" is also made up of TONS of cheaper, less-than-desirable phones around the world. Phone that don't see a lot of use beyond voice and texting.

Someone buys a phone for $80 off-contract... and it happens to be running Android. That's how it goes. We don't talk about those phones... we only talk about the flagships.

There were 177 million Android smartphones sold last quarter.... how many of them were flagship? Or even moderately decent phones?

Or like you said... how many of them are being used as smartphones? How many are only used for voice and texting?
  • Reply 40 of 124
    +1
    Every Google hater claims android is all about advertising, yet apples users click on more ads?
    Something smells here.
    Who here has ever clicked on taking fb ad? I for one never have.

I just checked fb on my android phone, one suggested post every 20-60 regular posts and easily discernable as ads. Maybe ios fb
    has a lot more ads and people are clicking on them by mistake?

Also consider a lot of Android users may be using Google plus instead of fb.