Facebook advertisers see 1,790% higher returns on iOS than Android

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 124
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bolo127 View Post



    I'm going to talk in name of all Android users: We don't care.

    actually he does make a good point, he reconfirmed the research and data, Android users do not care so why try advertising to them, so make them pay for all their apps.

     

    The issue for the developers and they know this, if you charge and do not use the advertising model to fund your development then some Chinese company will knock off your product and put it on the google store, market place or play store or what name of the day that google is using, for free and do not mind making a fraction of what the real developer need to live on.

  • Reply 82 of 124
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    No it means that Android users are less susceptible to click/purchase advertising than ios users.
    I read a few different reports on this news and a few stats were given by Facebook Advertising team.
    1. Men window shop/women buy (A far larger proportion of users who click/through/purchased via FB ads were women)
    2. By far the larger proportion were in the older age category
    3. By far the larger portion of purchases were for Apps

    Do we deduce from this then that Android users are mostly young males who prefer free ad supported app versions, while ios users are made up of old women who like to pay for apps with no ads?

    Lots of Androiders just want a cheap phones. I bet they are susceptible to phishing attacks and clicking on "win a free prize" ads when on the internet.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Android devices are feature phones, not smart phones. They're sold to feature phone buyers who just want phone.

    Anyone who gives a damn, buys an iPhone.
  • Reply 84 of 124
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jessi View Post



    Android devices are feature phones, not smart phones. They're sold to feature phone buyers who just want phone.



    Anyone who gives a damn, buys an iPhone.

    Facebook themselves would refute that... There are as many FB users on android as on IOS.

     

    >>>

     

    About 20.1 percent of Facebook users connect to the service on an Android device compared to 18.9 percent of users who connect with an iOS device, according to data from Optimal, Inc.

    CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in an interview with NBC’s Matt Lauer last week that Facebook had more users on Android than iOS. We asked social media advertising and analytics platform provider Optimal for the details.

    Optimal’s data shows about 189.8 million users active on Android devices — accessing Facebook through the native app or the mobile web. About 178.3 million are active on iOS. That’s among 944.2 million monthly active users addressable with the Facebook Ads API, not the full billionannounced last week.

  • Reply 85 of 124
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post



    Post 38 mentions poor android users in india/china.

    Indian fb users are about 5% of population.

    China is at 0.05% of population.

    USA is about 50%

    Heh heh. Not surprised you guys have no clue how to connect dots given basic information.

     

    The fact that 0.05% of China has FB, and yet Android dominates there tells you everything you need to know about the data presented in this article.

     

    Tell me when/if the lightbulb goes off. I'll wait.....

  • Reply 86 of 124
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    Heh heh. Not surprised you guys have no clue how to connect dots given basic information.

     

    The fact that 0.05% of China has FB, and yet Android dominates there tells you everything you need to know about the data presented in this article.

     

    Tell me when/if the lightbulb goes off. I'll wait.....


    It doesn't mean s***, FB is blocked in China.

  • Reply 87 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

     

    It doesn't mean s***, FB is blocked in China.


    Quite the opposite: it means s***, precisely because Facebook is blocked in China and lots of Android phones are sold there.

     

    I didn't expect you to get it.

  • Reply 88 of 124
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    Quote

    The fact that 0.05% of China has FB, and yet Android dominates there tells you everything you need to know about the data presented in this article.

    /EndQote

     

    Quite the opposite: it means s***, precisely because Facebook is blocked in China and lots of Android phones are sold there.

    I didn't expect you to get it.


     

    You are making absolutely no sense. The article is specifically about FB click through revenue and android vs ios. FB is blocked in China so the 0.05% FB usage in China has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the article.

    If you are making some lame attempt to say that 99.95% of android phones in china are feature phones, then that is just nonsense.

     

    If you have some obtuse point to make you should state it explicitly because what you have posted up to now sounds like jibberish.

  • Reply 89 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

     

    If you have some obtuse point to make you should state it explicitly because what you have posted up to now sounds like jibberish.


    Sure, I'll do you a favor -- this time -- by spelling it out, since you (and your type) seem to be incapable of following a thread of arguments.

     

    Some fandroid (whose name I cannot recall, but look the first page of the thread, if interested) asked this here:

    "Someone actually clicks on stupid Facebook ads? iOS users click on them like they've got the antidote or something. That's what needs to get answered: Why the F are they clicking on stupid Facebook ads in the first place?"

     

    Let's keep things simple and consider some representative numbers. Assume the US and China are the only countries where FB is available, and that 75% of, say, 200M US smartphone users are on FB (i.e., 175M), while only 1% of, say, 200M Chinese smartphone users are (i.e., 2M). Assume that US share of iOS:Android is 60:40, and that in China 20:80.

     

    Total number of iOS devices globally: 120 + 40 =160

    Total number of Android devices globally: 80 + 160 = 240

    Global share of iOS:Android -- 160 : 240 (i.e., Android has a larger global share, as often reported).

     

    Total number of FB users on iOS devices globally: 105 + 0.4 = 105.4

    Total number of FB users Android devices globally: 60 + 1.6 = 61.6

    Global share on FB iOS:FB Android -- 105.4 : 61.6

     

    Even if iOS and Android users clicked on ads at the same rate -- and leaving aside click-throughs for purchases, where cheapskate Androiders perhaps just window-shop -- where do you think most of FB clicks will come from?

     

    Now, extrapolate similar data to the rest of the world.... and you can get to the answer you would give the fandroid who made the original post that I responded to.

  • Reply 90 of 124
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    Sure, I'll do you a favor -- this time -- by spelling it out, since you (and your type) seem to be incapable of following a thread of arguments.

     

    Some fandroid (whose name I cannot recall, but look the first page of the thread, if interested) asked this here:

    "Someone actually clicks on stupid Facebook ads? iOS users click on them like they've got the antidote or something. That's what needs to get answered: Why the F are they clicking on stupid Facebook ads in the first place?"

     

    Let's keep things simple and consider some representative numbers. Assume the US and China are the only countries where FB is available, and that 75% of, say, 200M US smartphone users are on FB (i.e., 175M), while only 1% of, say, 200M Chinese smartphone users are (i.e., 2M). Assume that US share of iOS:Android is 60:40, and that in China 20:80.

     

    Total number of iOS devices globally: 120 + 40 =160

    Total number of Android devices globally: 80 + 160 = 240

    Global share of iOS:Android -- 160 : 240 (i.e., Android has a larger global share, as often reported).

     

    Total number of FB users on iOS devices globally: 105 + 0.4 = 105.4

    Total number of FB users Android devices globally: 60 + 1.6 = 61.6

    Global share on FB iOS:FB Android -- 105.4 : 61.6

     

    Even if iOS and Android users clicked on ads at the same rate -- and leaving aside click-throughs for purchases, where cheapskate Androiders perhaps just window-shop -- where do you think most of FB clicks will come from?

     

    Now, extrapolate similar data to the rest of the world.... and you can get to the answer you would give the fandroid who made the original post that I responded to.




    That "fandroid" (don't know where that came from) was me. You did way too much work to still not answer the question while showing just enough snide comments to show that you think Apple success = your success (somehow) and Android success = your failure (somehow). 

     

    The question needs to be asked because:

     

    1) Facebook sucks greatly (iOS, Android, PC, and Mac).

    2) Embedded ads suck worse than Facebook.

    3) Only the intellectually disabled, traumatic brain injury sufferers, and/or lead paint eaters click on ads anywhere on purpose. Doubly so on a phone or tablet.

    4) This report would have us believe that there are a zillion iOS users willingly clicking the crap out of stupid Facebook ads despite 1, 2, and 3.

     

    Do you know anyone that clicks on ads? Do you know anyone that clicks on Facebook ads in particular?

  • Reply 91 of 124
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheRealCBONE View Post



    That "fandroid" (don't know where that came from) was me. You did way too much work to still not answer the question .....


    Yep, I did. Not for you -- since, as the rest of your post confirms, you are rather clueless -- but for that other guy.

     

    I have no issues with anyone's success of failure. You apparently do, with Facebook's success. 

  • Reply 92 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    Yep, I did. Not for you -- since, as the rest of your post confirms, you are rather clueless -- but for that other guy.

     

    I have no issues with anyone's success of failure. You apparently do, with Facebook's success. 


     

    The sum total of your connect the dots argument was that more IOS users click ads on FB, well hello, that was clearly stated in the article.

     

    What the hell is your point?

     

    FYI:

    USA FB ios=44% android=39%

     

    China doesn't even register.

     

    Globally 190M FB users on Android, 178M on IOS.

  • Reply 93 of 124
    patpatpat wrote: »
     
    Yep, I did. Not for you -- since, as the rest of your post confirms, you are rather clueless -- but for that other guy.

    I have no issues with anyone's success of failure. You apparently do, with Facebook's success. 

    The sum total of your connect the dots argument was that more IOS users click ads on FB, well hello, that was clearly stated in the article.

    What the hell is your point?

    FYI:
    USA FB ios=44% android=39%

    China doesn't even register.

    Globally 190M FB users on Android, 178M on IOS.

    Oh boy.

    Whatever.
  • Reply 94 of 124
    Android has 2 primary types of customers:
    1) Just cheap. Period. Doesnt pay for anything, and is not much of a consumer. Their main criteria is price. This can be due to low personal finance or just plain frugalness. Doesnt matter.

    2) Hacker-ish Pirates. This is the person with the mentality that open source is king no matter what. All software and content has to be and should be free. I fiddle with my gadget and the only good gadgets are ones I can mess with, customize, alter, add/change my own ____, regardless of whether I ever need to or not. The mentality here is rooted in individualism, and entitlement: "Software should be free and open, along with content" is indeed an entitlement.
  • Reply 95 of 124
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ScrittoreSabino View Post



    Android has 2 primary types of customers:

    1) Just cheap. Period. Doesnt pay for anything, and is not much of a consumer. Their main criteria is price. This can be due to low personal finance or just plain frugalness. Doesnt matter.



    2) Hacker-ish Pirates. This is the person with the mentality that open source is king no matter what. All software and content has to be and should be free. I fiddle with my gadget and the only good gadgets are ones I can mess with, customize, alter, add/change my own ____, regardless of whether I ever need to or not. The mentality here is rooted in individualism, and entitlement: "Software should be free and open, along with content" is indeed an entitlement.

     

     Type 2 also includes a significant number of people who for various (often spurious) reasons, will never buy Apple.

  • Reply 96 of 124
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ScrittoreSabino View Post



    Android has 2 primary types of customers:

     

    Do iOS customers next!

  • Reply 97 of 124

    Anecdote time:

     

    I work in an office tower, where one of the tenants is a certain Android-heavy nationwide cell provider.  Specifically, their call center takes up 2-1/2 floors of this facility.  And because it's a call center, we're talking cheap labor.

     

    All of them (they must wear visible badges) carry Androids of one sort or another, because they can get them at a discount.  (And I've been told, they're not allowed a corporate discount for iPhones.)  Now bear with me here:

     

    Over the last six years, I've ridden elevators with these folk, as well as more typical office tower denizens.  All the call-center types EVER do with their big honkin' Android phones on the elevators, is TALK on them.  (And this, despite building signs pointing out the rudeness of talking on your phone while riding an elevator... but don't get me started.)

     

    On the other hand, iPhone tenants check their email, browse the web... DATA stuff.  And quietly.

     

    This study surprises me not.

  • Reply 98 of 124
    Android has 2 primary types of customers:
    1) Just cheap. Period. Doesnt pay for anything, and is not much of a consumer. Their main criteria is price. This can be due to low personal finance or just plain frugalness. Doesnt matter.

    2) Hacker-ish Pirates. This is the person with the mentality that open source is king no matter what. All software and content has to be and should be free. I fiddle with my gadget and the only good gadgets are ones I can mess with, customize, alter, add/change my own ____, regardless of whether I ever need to or not. The mentality here is rooted in individualism, and entitlement: "Software should be free and open, along with content" is indeed an entitlement.

    Given that the most popular android smartphone is the samsung s3/s4 series which were $500+ phones at launch , your first point doesn't make a lot of sense.
    You can get a 4s for free now, a 5c for $50, Apple phones are as cheap as androids.

    Secondly given that less than 1% of Android users root their phone, your second point is equally off.

    People choose android for a variety of reasons, very few of which have anything to do with either of your points.
  • Reply 99 of 124
    Oh boy.

    Whatever.

    Night night, don't stay up late now clicking through all those fb ads.
    Maybe you will have a clearer head in the morning, but somehow I seriously doubt it. :-D
  • Reply 100 of 124
    Android has 2 primary types of customers:
    1) Just cheap. Period. Doesnt pay for anything, and is not much of a consumer. Their main criteria is price. This can be due to low personal finance or just plain frugalness. Doesnt matter.

    2) Hacker-ish Pirates. This is the person with the mentality that open source is king no matter what. All software and content has to be and should be free. I fiddle with my gadget and the only good gadgets are ones I can mess with, customize, alter, add/change my own ____, regardless of whether I ever need to or not. The mentality here is rooted in individualism, and entitlement: "Software should be free and open, along with content" is indeed an entitlement.

    patpatpat wrote: »
    Given that the most popular android smartphone is the samsung s3/s4 series which were $500+ phones at launch , your first point doesn't make a lot of sense.

    I'll jump in here.

    True... the Galaxy S3/S4 are the bestselling single models of Android phones. However... they only make up a small part of the total number of Android phones around the world.

    There were 177 million Android phones sold last quarter. How many were Galaxy S3/S4?

    And... how many were "cheap" Android phones?

    Android is now where Symbian was all those years ago... the default phone. If someone walks into a store to buy "a phone" they are now walking out with an Android phone.

    And many (most?) are cheap, er, inexpensive phones.

    I disagree with the way ScrittoreSabino explained it... but there is some truth to it.

    There is a HUGE percentage of Android users who just walked into a store... and the phone they bought just happened to be running Android. And they probably bought that phone based on price... see below.

    patpatpat wrote: »
    You can get a 4s for free now, a 5c for $50, Apple phones are as cheap as androids.

    That's true in the US. But in most parts of the world there are no subsidies. An iPhone or Galaxy S4 may cost $600 to buy outright.

    If someone only has $150 or less to spend on a smartphone... their only option is an Android phone. And that story plays out in many parts of the world.

    We spend so much time talking about a few expensive flagship phones... but it's the budget phones that make up most of the world's sales.
Sign In or Register to comment.