iOS 7 seeing slower uptake than Apple's iOS 6 - report

Comments

• Reply 121 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I've noticed the majority of people who complain about iOS 7 are those that haven't USED it or can't use it because their devices are too old. Everyone I've talked to who has upgraded, loves iOS 7. Yes, the colors are a bit garish, but a lot of the new features that make it easier to use far out weigh the color scheme.

Control Center, the new notifications, swiping from left to right to go back a screen, the new Safari, the app switcher (multi-tasker), etc.

I would NEVER go back to iOS 6 and using iOS 5 on my iPad is awful now. :(  Well not awful, but makes it feel so dated.

I find the same scenarios. My only complaint (ha) is that iOS 7 should be for the 4s and above. It is painfully slow on my 4. How slow you ask? The only thing slower is the arrival of my 5s! :P  

• Reply 122 of 275
    remereme Posts: 74member

Based on my own personal experience, I ask every iphone user I come across while I'm in the field two simple questions, "did you upgrade to IOS7" and "how do you like it".

I've asked probably 100 folks so far and overwhelming response is negative, many find the apps less intuitive and harder to see.  Very few like the flat icons, they are just not "pretty".  Some said, "were they trying to copy Microsoft?".  I honestly have not talked with anyone who said that it was better, even though it has some great features.

I bet the uptake slows even more as people talk.  If Apple doesn't listen and react to this, there will be a price to pay moving forward.

• Reply 123 of 275
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Search results/methodology?

The thinking behind the new search system completely eludes me. I'm sure there's reasoning there, but whatever it is comes at the expense of speed and ease-of-use -- it's a HELL of a lot slower and less convenient than the old way. I very, very, very much prefer the old "progressive exclusion" system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I "googled around" and the internet says you're full of it.

That's entirely possible, but I can tell you first hand that I often run into issues that seem to suggest that something is broken in iT11. For example, our need to sync libraries across systems means that it frequently loses track of various kinds of metadata, especially artwork. TV series get mixed up, music tracks disappear and some Movies mysteriously become Home Videos. Because of the haphazard approach to saving such information, with some being written back to the source file while other parts are saved in the iTunes library, it's really hard to manage and troubleshoot.

As for iOS7, I don't hate it but I would switch back to 6 if I could. One of the stated objectives, to create consistency of controls across apps, hasn't been met. The idea was that we'd have to learn a new interface, but things like moving and deleting content would be accomplished the same way in each Apple app. Since that hasn't happened, the benefit of the re-learning effort is significantly diminished.

I'm also not convinced that the elimination of borders and clearly defined buttons and hot zones was a good idea. I find myself having to consciously think about inputs whereas they were unconscious / automatic before.

iOS7 seems to be putting MUCH more strain on my old iPhone 4 to the point where sometimes I want to just throw the phone out the window, but I'm told that some people with the same hardware have actually experienced an IMPROVEMENT in performance, so take that for whatever it's worth.

• Reply 124 of 275
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    reme wrote: »
    Based on my own personal experience, I ask every iphone user I come across while I'm in the field two simple questions, "did you upgrade to IOS7" and "how do you like it".

I've asked probably 100 folks so far and overwhelming response is negative, many find the apps less intuitive and harder to see.  Very few like the flat icons, they are just not "pretty".  Some said, "were they trying to copy Microsoft?".  I honestly have not talked with anyone who said that it was better, even though it has some great features.

I bet the uptake slows even more as people talk.  If Apple doesn't listen and react to this, there will be a price to pay moving forward.
    Amazing how all the people who hate iOS 7 seem to have anecdotes of all these people they've 'surveyed' who also hate iOS 7 and don't like that its "flat" or it looks too much like Windows 8. I think it's all a bunch of BS. I can tell you 99% of my family and friends wouldn't even know what "flat" meant. The minute I hear Internet buzz words like "flat" I get suspicious. Especially since iOS 7 isn't flat in so many ways.
  • Reply 125 of 275
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Not sure why all the negative about iOS 7. I love it. No problems at all for me on my iPhone 5C. I'm not sure why people are hating it. I'd like to know the reason(s) and not just "it sucks". I personally think iOS 6 and below was getting a little long in the tooth as far as the design. Its looked the same far too long and the glassy icons and other parts of the UI were just getting really old. The other parts of iOS 6 like the green felt in Game Center, leather appearance of Find my Friends and other apps are just plain ugly to me. I like the simplistic approach of iOS 7's design. 

The functionality of iOS 7 really didn't change. Its just the UI of the things you're tapping on that changed. I'm not sure why all the fuss about it. 

I don't see Apple losing its mojo at all. Keep things the way they were I think would make Apple lose its mojo. You have to keep up and push, not settle for whats always worked. If you just sit there and settle, you'll be the next Blackberry. 

I'm hoping the next version of OS X after Mavericks has more of an iOS 7'isk UI change. More of a flatter design. I think its time for a change. 

There is no fuss, just manufactured Internet stories to garner website hits. Next week Tim Cook will get up on stage and tell us iOS 7 is the fastest upgrade in iOS history. Also, a lot of the design or "polish" issues are fixable. Unlike the mess that is Windows 8. People seem to be forgetting that iOS 7 is really a version 1.0 product that was redesigned in about 7 months. I have no doubt it will get better over time. And I also have no doubt Apple will take customer feedback in to consideration. Probably more so than they ever would have under Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 126 of 275
    creepcreep Posts: 80member

This chart is derived from all iOS-based browsing, but not all iOS devices are eligible to run iOS7.  Maybe some clarification is needed.

• Reply 127 of 275
    IOS 7 has many reasons to dislike, IOS 6 was just removal of googles apps.
  • Reply 128 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

I think the problem here is that your comments lack critical thought and insight.  Any idiot can glean their own reality/"truth" from the Intertubes, if they try hard enough.

On the other hand, your posts have amused today, albeit in a train-wrecky sort of way.

Blablabla. Glad to be of help anyway.

• Reply 129 of 275
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

... just google around. 

Why should I contribute to that privacy sucking train wreck?

Bing it.

• Reply 130 of 275

Two things I hate about iOS 7: 1) Calendar no longer has event preview and you're forced to click deeper to view your events 2) everything is too white, black looked more sophisticated, and one thing that really bugs me is the white controls for movies

• Reply 131 of 275
    To me it's way better in every way. Ios 6 was looking extremely dated.
  • Reply 132 of 275
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post

Two things I hate about iOS 7: 1) Calendar no longer has event preview and you're forced to click deeper to view your events 2) everything is too white, black looked more sophisticated, and one thing that really bugs me is the white controls for movies

Send your feedback to Apple.   www.apple.com/feedback

white controls for movies?  I think the way they have it is just fine.

• Reply 133 of 275
    One of the great little things in ios7 for me is the ability to listen to spotify on wifi, walk out of the house leave wifi, and switch to lte without the music stopping.
  • Reply 134 of 275
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paandy View Post

Fix all the bugs and I might give it a shot:\

Given the complexity of today's software it's impossible to fix all bugs. That said, I have found iOS 7 to be less buggy than iOS 6. remember at this point last year Maps was a disaster, Exchange didn't work right, and batteries were draining under iOS 6. The USA Today article seems overblown and another attempt at Apple bashing.

• Reply 135 of 275
    I have switched to IOS7 and I, along with many of my clients, do not like the look and feel. It is a step backward, looks like a candy store and it took away the polish of the previous IOS. Perhaps they will step back to an interface that looks better than IOS7. I would have to guess Mr. Jobs would be displeased with IOS7. It looks like something M$ or Droid would produce.
  • Reply 136 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

You really need to read before responding.

Thank you. But isn't it befuddling that this distinction needs to be highlighted?

Please enlighten me as to how you can take advantage of a display in any way except to display things on it.

• Reply 137 of 275
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Have to love people bragging about devices with resolutions higher than your eye can discern.  Apple was the one that pushed technology into the retina area... and now, like they always do, the mindless android competition takes it as far as they can as if going from 300dpi to 400 dpi is some sort of advantage.  (well, if lower battery life, and a bigger, heavier, poorer quality experience were some sort of "advantage".) 

Talk about specs for specs sake. 

Meanwhile, when Apple moves the state of the art forward, they call it "change for change's sake". 

Its like they are completely irrational.  

I don't know about you, but to me the difference between a display like that on the iPhone and one like that on the HTC One is night and day.  You can pick out a pixel if you look for it on the iPhone, but not on the One.  It's even noticeable when you look at them at a normal distance.  The One's display looks smoother even if you can't say that you see an individual pixel.  You'll discover the difference when the iPhone gets upgraded to a higher resolution.

• Reply 138 of 275
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Please enlighten me as to how you can take advantage of a display in any way except to display things on it.

I could display a 300x200 pixel picture on a HD TV, but I would not be "taking advantage" of the high definition capability.  Do you feel enlightened now?  

• Reply 139 of 275
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    dugbug wrote: »

Drop the hyperbole.  Explain yourself clearly: What is worse about itunes 11 sync/backup.  is it buggy?

I am not talking about iTunes 11's "sync/backup" (which probably works in the same way as before); I am talking about iTunes 11 itself and the fact that I would be obliged to use it in order to sync/backup an iOS 7 device - a total train wreck and much, much worse than iTunes 10 in virtually every respect, particularly in terms of UI, large library management, album list view, etc. etc. etc. No need to elaborate, just google around. 

The problem with Apple is what I call the peacock syndrome: healthy, shiny feathers signify a healthy male with good genes, and as a result evolutionary pressure was on for such features; with peacocks they spiraled out of control: the feathers are so long and so pretty and shiny that they attract predators and turn the male into a clumsy, "useless" bird.

When it comes to Apple, the keyword isn't "shiny & pretty" but "simple": reducing complexity is a good thing *IF AND ONLY IF* functionality and the data model don't suffer.

Occam's razor stipulates to simplify things, but not beyond the point where the stop describing reality.

I'm all for simplification, but I'm absolutely against oversimplification. I rather deal with a certain amount of needless complexity than dealing with a system that can't handle reality because it's designed to demo well and only is able to handle the reality of 90% of the people 90% of the time.

Apple's problem is that they don't realize that their problem isn't anymore being too complicated but that it is being oversimplified.

Mail.app and iTunes.app are good examples; just getting rid of cover flow view for visually oriented people like me is a disaster; exploring my music library has become a total chore compared to what it used to be.
    Nobody was forced to use cover flow; so why take it away from the people who love it?

Plenty of other examples, but Apple refuses to listen, (over)simplification has turned into a corporate religion at Apple.
  • Reply 140 of 275
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:

It's all very simple:

What's not to dislike?

You?