California man sues Apple CEO Tim Cook over automatic iOS 7 update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I suspect there are a few experts at almost every Apple Store who'd know how to get into the file system and get rid of that iOS 7 package. I wonder if he asked?

Do you know how to get rid of the iOS 7 that is downloaded onto the phone for those that do not want to update? Anyone else know?

• Reply 22 of 113
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I thought there were settings which the user could disable for both auto-OS and auto-App Store app updates.
  • Reply 23 of 113
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I don't think that method will stop iOS7 from automatically downloading, tho of course it shouldn't automatically install. What you may have confused it with is individual updates for various iTunes apps.

It is wrong to phrase it like that, the App Store since iOS 4 always shown App-Updates (these are not installed on the device itself).
    If "he/she" wants to prevent auto-updates "he/she" must go to Settings>iTunes & App Store then unselect Apps button / Updates Button.

To then actually download an App you would click on it within the list shown in Updates, which would then give you the download-ring until
    it completes into OPEN.

I have always had my setting not to auto download when connecting to iTunes this was kept when updating my iP 4S to iOS 7 which kept
    the settings with Updates turned off for AutoUpdates over Air.
  • Reply 24 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Oh yeah, name Tim Cook as the defendant because every feature decision is 100% the decision of the CEO.

What a retard.

This is an insult to retards (ie those who are truly mentally challenged).

• Reply 25 of 113
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Apple should remove his update package then tell the guy to have a coke and a smile and shut the f*ck up
  • Reply 26 of 113
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I actually think this is pretty valid and he's not asking for anything crazy. Basically iOS 6 automatically downloaded iOS 7 to the device and there's no way to get rid of the 1 GB file except to install the update, which of course, is optional. What this guy is asking for is a way to remove the file if a user doesn't want to upgrade. Pretty fair really. Also, $50 remuneration is very reasonable. They guy isn't asking for a million dollars here, but want's his 1 GB back.
  • Reply 27 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I think this same guy posts on AI from time to time... ;-)

Hopefully he will win this one - lots of people have exactly the same feeling, particularly since: (a) one is not even able to roll back if so desired; (b) iOS7 installation is just one tap away and doesn't carry any warning or double-confirmation possibility.

But of course, pundits are gonna call me a "troll" for that opinion - what, me worry?

• Reply 28 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I wonder if this is brlawyer from this forum?

He's always complaining about iOS7

Haha, nope ;) Actually you'd be surprised at how much of an Apple fanatic I am, having converted at least 30 people to Macs/iDevices over the last five years. But yes, pretty much everything post-SJ seems to be going downhill.

• Reply 29 of 113
    If I were Tim Cook, I'd just send oj Simpson to kill this guy and be over it.
  • Reply 30 of 113
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Can't he select to not have automatic updates? Isn't that an option?
  • Reply 31 of 113
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Just to be clear (I downloaded the beta, and haven't had any inclination to downgrade), but does Apple force an upgrade to iOS7 and prevent downgrading to iOS6?

Given that there are "adoption rates" published, the former seems (to me) unlikely, and Apple have never previously blocked the latter, so I don't see what grounds this guy has.

If he doesn't like iOS7, just download iOS6 from any number of websites, and revert.  Sure, it requires a little bit of savvy, and it'd be helpful if Apple themselves supported it, but it's hardly a major obstacle requiring legal representation.

Bit weird.

• Reply 32 of 113
    Oh yeah, name Tim Cook as the defendant because every feature decision is 100% the decision of the CEO.

What a retard.
    It is a little more of problem when you have the worlds most valuable company on there, than just a guy from the team. Apple probably should have a button for click to ignore on an update.
  • Reply 33 of 113
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mstone wrote: »
    Apple really shouldn't auto download iOS 7. I was holding off installing it on my phone, but now it is already on the phone waiting to be installed. By the time I want it, there will probably be a new point update which will also need to be downloaded. To make matters worse is that it used up a gig of my data plan because it thought it had wifi when actually it was my cellular hot spot. That right there cost $10 plus it is using up another gig of my storage space, not that big of a deal since I have a 64GB model but still they just should not do that without your permission. Would I sue over it? - hell no.

I don't understand the hot spot situation. Why would you tether your phone to a hotspot while your phone itself could either connect over cellular or WiFi?
  • Reply 34 of 113
    As an. apple loyalist for since 1985, I can tell you I absolutely DESPISE, HATE, CANNTOT EFFIN STAND how Apple stopped us from downgrading.

I buy a new iDevice, want to try the latest OS, maybe it slows down my device ( like my g/s iPad 1 running 5.1.1 ) and it is slow as crahp and I canot even type on it. Sothis IPad is beyond frustrating!

Why oh why do they do this?

I have to deal with jail breaking, Shsh, RedDnow and all that crap that is a pain.

APPLE END THIS FEATURE!,,, IT REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SUCKS!
    It p/os many huge supporters. And quit dumbing down the system for the lowest, most uneducated user. u s semi-power users are getting the shaft! I do not know Unix commands nor want to, that is why. I,be bought Macs for 28 years, geez!
  • Reply 35 of 113
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I actually think this is pretty valid and he's not asking for anything crazy. Basically iOS 6 automatically downloaded iOS 7 to the device and there's no way to get rid of the 1 GB file except to install the update, which of course, is optional. What this guy is asking for is a way to remove the file if a user doesn't want to upgrade. Pretty fair really. Also, $50 remuneration is very reasonable. They guy isn't asking for a million dollars here, but want's his 1 GB back.

All hell would break loose if any other company downloaded a huge file that cannot be removed onto a customer's phone without their permission.

• Reply 36 of 113

Tim Cook settles by giving that man 1st Spot outside of Apple store for the next iPhone release!

No wonder America carries burden of 50 % of losers. Deport them all from where their ancestors came from, for America to be a better place  :p 

• Reply 37 of 113
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

corporate thuggery, free software updates?    I don't think that's a definition of corporate thuggery. 

I think this guy just wants attention and this is a LOT cheaper than spending hundreds of thousands on a cup of coffee with Tim Cook.  :-)

• Reply 38 of 113
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

Tell him to get an Android. Then he won't have any updates...

• Reply 39 of 113
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    mstone wrote: »
    Apple really shouldn't auto download iOS 7. I was holding off installing it on my phone, but now it is already on the phone waiting to be installed. By the time I want it, there will probably be a new point update which will also need to be downloaded. To make matters worse is that it used up a gig of my data plan because it thought it had wifi when actually it was my cellular hot spot. That right there cost $10 plus it is using up another gig of my storage space, not that big of a deal since I have a 64GB model but still they just should not do that without your permission. Would I sue over it? - hell no.

I agree. My home internet is an air card connected to a Cradlepoint router. I have no other option other than satellite. I have to plan all upgrades to fit within my monthly 5GB data allowance. I should sue to get my $10 overage back, which coincidentally occurred the same month as the release. Hmmm.

If anyone knows a way to disable this feature, please reply.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't understand the hot spot situation. Why would you tether your phone to a hotspot while your phone itself could either connect over cellular or WiFi?

Phone 5 is locked and in an international roaming area. The wifi hot spot is unlocked and has a local sim. I have a local unlocked iPhone 4 for calling locally and I use Skype for long distance, international calling. There is no cable service for broadband where I am so all my data comes through the cellular wifi hot spot.