iPad 2 remains Apple's most popular tablet, iPhone 5c demand growing

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's mid-range iPhone 5c is beginning to close the sales gap on the company's flagship iPhone 5s, while the iPad 2 commands the lion's share of the Apple tablet installed base, according to new data from mobile analytics company Localytics.

Localytics iPhone data

The report, which examined 20 million unique devices between Sept. 20 and Oct. 18, says that there are now 2.3 active iPhone 5s units for every iPhone 5c globally, down from 3.3 units one week after the handsets' launch. The numbers are even tighter in the United States, with the iPhone 5s-to-5c ratio dropping from 3.0 one week after launch to 1.9 today.

The iPhone 5c's apparently increasing popularity flies in the face of reports of lackluster sales and slashed production orders for the colorful device. Continually constrained iPhone 5s supplies may be contributing --?Apple retail associates said in September that "the 5C is quite good and a lot of customers who can't get the 5s haven't minded upgrading to a 5c."

Localytics iPad data

Meanwhile, Apple's iPad 2 continues to be the most popular iPad, accounting for nearly 40 percent of active units. The iPad 2's 38 percent share is more than that of the latest iPad 4 (18 percent) and iPad mini (17 percent) combined, according to the data.

The iPad 2 featured an all-new industrial design, and subsequent revisions to Apple's tablet have added higher-resolution Retina displays and incremental hardware upgrades. Localytics suggests this may be a factor in the iPad 2's continued dominance, saying it is possible that "perceived differentiation of the latest-generation tablets is getting smaller with each new release."

Apple is widely expected to unveil a redesigned, slimmer fifth-generation iPad on Tuesday in what one analyst called "the most important refresh of the iPad franchise...since the first iPad went on sale." Cupertino is also --?controversially --?rumored to show off a Retina display-equipped second-generation iPad mini at the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    Localytics statistics apparently had no value before so I'm thinking they must hold no value now.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    Still have the iPad 2 myself... I bet that most people waited until the 2 to buy and then didn't see any real benefit to the 3 or the 4...
  • Reply 3 of 78

Why anyone is surprised with this is beyond me.

The vast majority who RUSHED to purchase at launch were Apple fans...who buy the best, which is the 5s.

Both phones are good phones.

Many would like to save a couple hundred dollars and consider... then buy the 5c.

It was just a matter of time.

Now, need to look at total numbers to determine whether it was a success or not.  I'm guessing it was a success and will continue to be for the year at least.

• Reply 4 of 78
    I have an iPad 2, and I am waiting for a Retina iPad Mini. I think most people waited for the 2nd gen iPad. The first iPad was thick and had no front camera, and I just waited for the 2nd gen.

Also, tablets arent like your phone, there is no contract, and you don't necessarily have to upgrade as often as you would your phone. My iPad 2 works great, and I don't think I would ever update to another iPad unless something happened to it.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Wow! I think of the iPad 2 as being so old and slow that it surprises me that anyone would choose it. I do know that it is the iPad of choice by companies that are giving away a tablet for promotional reasons. Still...

That the iPhone 5c is gaining on the 5s isn't surprising, there are a lot of buyers that need to wait until their old iPhone comes off contract (myself included) and they may be younger and less affluent than the 5s buyers. Two demographics that may lean toward the more colorful iPhones.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Still have the iPad 2 myself... I bet that most people waited until the 2 to buy and then didn't see any real benefit to the 3 or the 4...

If you are using an iPad in fairly casual situations... the mini is too small and the retina is overkill.

I'm using an iPad 2 as my 'non-work' computer...  With my uncorrected vision (and red-green colorblindness, it works fine in display mode.   I'm lacking a bit of 'zip' that my wife's iPhone 5 has... so I'm seriously contemplating a new iPad (and reusing this iPad 2 as a universal remote and home automation control).

• Reply 7 of 78
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Retina display. I guess the reason the iPad 2 still dominate is because it is being sold for more than 2 years now.

I still use my 3rd generation iPad and my son uses my iPad 2. I didn't upgrade to the 4th generation iPad though because the specs bump was not that important to me.

• Reply 8 of 78
    I had the iPad 1 and 3. The retina is cool and stuff, especially for reading, but it's a battery drain! one of my favorite features of iPad 1 is its amazing battery life and it was gone on the iPad 3. Simple things like reading on iPad 3 kill the battery.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    When did the iPad become a franchise, AI ?

Inquiring minds would like to know. :D
  • Reply 10 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Also education sales of the iPad 2 really took off and sustained even after the 3 was released, perhaps due to the price and also to keep all students on the same platform. That said, I doubt that Localytics would be tracking data from the education market as those devices are probably fairly well locked down.

• Reply 11 of 78

Wow, even if you take their statistics at face value, their analysis is incredibly stupid. Issues they did not take into account:

The iPad 2 was made available through the Apple Store 2.5 years ago AND they still sell it.

The 3rd gen iPad was available for about 7 months and then DISCONTINUED. After October 12, 2012 you could not buy a iPad 3.

The 4th gen iPad has been only available for a year. 

The obvious conclusion: iPad 2 has the biggest slice of the install base because it's been sold for BY FAR the most amount of time. 

Also, no mention of retailers lowering the price of the 5C????? Ya think that might cause the 5S vs 5C ratio to drop?

In summary, this Localytics company is a joke.

• Reply 12 of 78
    If Apple retains the current iPad mini and sells it for $229 to $259 then it will soon be the dominant device.

iPad 5 $499
    iPad 4 $399
    iPad mini 2 $329
    iPad mini $249

And the holidays will be sweet for Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Interesting. It was the iPad 3 being Retina that I thought really made it an easy upgrade from the iPad 2. It's getting the iPad 4 after having the iPad 3 that was no interest to me.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    I have the ipad 2 and ipad 3. I love the retina display but I the lighter weight of the 2 is really nice also. My kids love both of them. I purchased both of them from apple refurbished but I can see people saving $100 and just getting the 2. I purchased the 5s as an upgrade from the 4s. I wanted the newest tech with the touch id and improved camera. I can see why the C is appealing, the phone feels very nice to hold and the colors do appeal to me especially ladies. I like the 5s better since it is lighter and just a more classy phone to me but when you can get a iphone for $50 that has lte, long battery life and a 4 in screen I see why folks have started to see it in a new light.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    I thought the iPad 2 was a major upgrade over the iPad 1 and bought it immediately. I was also issued an iPad 3 by my job since we do tablet publishing. I find I prefer my iPad 2 despite the Retina of the iPad 3 because my iPad 2 is thinner, lighter, and has better batter life. The color temperature of the iPad 3 also seems off (yellow-tint). The iPad 2 is marginally slower than the iPad 3, but in practice I don't notice any difference. And while I can see the difference in resolution between the two devices, I don't find it all that important. The iPad 2 resolution seems fine and in fact most people I know can't tell the difference at all. (They all assume my iPad 2 screen is retina.)

That said, am looking forward to buying the new iPad 5.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

I think Apple created a problem when it made the 3rd gen iPad fatter and heavier. Weight is really the most important factor with the iPad. In my experience, regular people don't understand the benefits of a retina display. It's something I find really odd, since I've always preferred higher DPI displays, but for some reason it's really hard for people to get a handle on. So you have the iPad 2, which has a better form factor, and is $100 cheaper and the only benefits of the 3rd/4th gen models are the display and CPU/GPU, which people have a hard time getting excited about. Hopefully this will change with the 5th gen model.

• Reply 17 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Why anyone is surprised with this is beyond me.

The vast majority who RUSHED to purchase at launch were Apple fans...who buy the best, which is the 5s.

Both phones are good phones.

Many would like to save a couple hundred dollars and consider... then buy the 5c.

It was just a matter of time.

Now, need to look at total numbers to determine whether it was a success or not.  I'm guessing it was a success and will continue to be for the year at least.

I think the bigger issue is Apple's inability to ship the 5s. I have one ordered from AT&T but it won't show as *sold* until it ships as AT&T won't bill me until such time. 

I wonder how many outstanding orders are out there for the 5s? 

• Reply 18 of 78

I think Apple should keep both iPads options of Retina and non-Retina. $100 bucks won't be the determining factor for most of us*, but those not needing retina, could save big! 

*before I get flamed. By most of us, I mean those of us here in the love of technology where an extra $100 to have the top specs probably won't be the factor. However, saving that $100 on electronics for kids will add up. 

• Reply 19 of 78
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I think Apple should keep both iPads options of Retina and non-Retina. $100 bucks won't be the determining factor for most of us, but those not needing retina, could save big! 

How would the pricey stepping occur? The iPad 2 is currently at $399. If they lower it by $100 it's then $299, or $30 less than the iPad mini. That might work if the iPad Mini can go Retina this year at the same price, but if not then I'd think it would make more sense to drop the iPad 2 altogether and make the slightly heavier and thicker iPad 4 the $399 model over the thinner, lighter and faster iPad 5.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    I'm sure the fact that you have to wait weeks before getting the 5s and being able to get the 5c quickly plays a part. Some people would rather not wait.