iPad 2 remains Apple's most popular tablet, iPhone 5c demand growing

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,215member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

     

    Tablets differ from the smartphone market in that they are a) less likely to be subsidized and b) are bought in large volumes by education/enterprise/government for mass deployment. 

     


     

    That is likely the reason why the iPad 2 is seen as so popular. 

  • Reply 62 of 78
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

     

    If you are using an iPad in fairly casual situations... the mini is too small and the retina is overkill.

     

    I'm using an iPad 2 as my 'non-work' computer...  With my uncorrected vision (and red-green colorblindness, it works fine in display mode.   I'm lacking a bit of 'zip' that my wife's iPhone 5 has... so I'm seriously contemplating a new iPad (and reusing this iPad 2 as a universal remote and home automation control).


     

    I don't understand why people talk down what Apple did with retina. Computers which emphasised larger displays at low DPI have been grating my eyeballs for decades. High DPI displays made digital typography not just bearable, but a thing of beauty. I sold my iPad 2 for an iPad 3 and suddenly I could read scientific literature as  full page PDF without having to zoom in. I also get my local newspaper delivered digitally. It's just been wonderful.

  • Reply 63 of 78
    The iPad 2 had the best battery life and lightest weight. I'm hoping the iPad 5 can bring us back to that.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    As a side note. I can't wait for tallest to go after the trolls tomorrow- it's now one of the highlights of announcement days for me.

    Sick 'em little buddy!!!
  • Reply 65 of 78
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

    I've been saying for quite some time that retina doesn't matter and people want screen size and cheapness in the iPad…this new metric kind of proves my point…but, of course i'd like to see the breakdown of user type (i.e. educaiton, business and consumer usage stats related to each).  I say that because it's a known fact that the Education sector has been very active in purchasing the iPad 2.

     

    I this age of computing, people want a full-featured, large screen, less expensive iPad.  In  most cases that trumps retina and/or portibility.

     

    Another factor to weigh in against my arguement; many iPad mini buyers might have been holding out for a retina version.  So if that's the case and they release a retina Mini…especially at the $399 price point that all the rumors are suggesting;  we might see the retina iPad take over as the most popular iPad.

  • Reply 66 of 78
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

     

    I believe the 5 may be even lighter than the 2. Along with being overall less volume.


    And i'd been saying since i bought my iPad 2 that it was just a tad too heavy.

  • Reply 67 of 78
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

     

     

    The iPad 2 has been available the longest of any existing iPad for sale, and for over a year has been priced at $399. For that price, to get 9.7 of tablet is pretty irresistible to some.

     

    Also consider, the iPad 5 will be the first major redesign since iPad 2....(with 3 & 4 being only slightly thicker/heavier, but the same design).

     

    Many predict iPad 5 to spur a huge round of upgrades from 2 & 3 owners. Within a year, I think we'll see a flip, and the active installed base will be 40% iPad 5, 30% iPad mini, and 15% iPad 3, 15% iPad 4.......


    Agreed, Re: my previous post.

    I will be one  of that spur of upgrades, been waiting for the weight to go down before upgrading.  However, I don't think I'll be an early adapter.  Sold my iPad 2 in Sept. for a good price (nearly $330) but I'm finding I miss it less than 50% of my computing time.  Actually thinking of waiting until Q1 or Q2 to upgrade.  And if it doesn't have Touch ID, I might not upgrade at all.

  • Reply 68 of 78
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

    Re: iPhone 5c...

    I think we all figured the 5c would gain market share as time went on.  As more people buy it and news spreads that it's more comfortable to hold and the Touch ID isn't that big of a deal, the $100 less price-point and shinny colors will win out.  I have the 5s and my better-half the 5c and frankly, I prefer the design and ergonomics of the 5c over the 5s.  If it had Touch ID and the Camera improvements, it would be by far a better overall device than the 5s.

  • Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

     

    Re: iPhone 5c...

    I think we all figured the 5c would gain market share as time went on.  As more people buy it and news spreads that it's more comfortable to hold and the Touch ID isn't that big of a deal, the $100 less price-point and shinny colors will win out.  I have the 5s and my better-half the 5c and frankly, I prefer the design and ergonomics of the 5c over the 5s.  If it had Touch ID and the Camera improvements, it would be by far a better overall device than the 5s.


     

    A few of us think it will pick up during the holiday gift buying. Parents buying their kids a colorful phone. The more of them seen in the wild, the better the sales as time goes on. It just has to get trendy. 

  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

     

    I have the 5s and my better-half the 5c and frankly, I prefer the design and ergonomics of the 5c over the 5s.  If it had Touch ID and the Camera improvements, it would be by far a better overall device than the 5s.




    Yah, I kinda agree.  not sure about "by far" better than the 5s, but better for many because frankly, I'm tired of having to protect my shiny metal phones from dings/scratches/falls... and would just as well opt for the plastic 5c (naked, of course) at a price break.

     

    Disclosure: I'm still loving my gold 5s!

  • Reply 71 of 78
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

     

    Agreed, Re: my previous post.

    I will be one  of that spur of upgrades, been waiting for the weight to go down before upgrading.  However, I don't think I'll be an early adapter.  Sold my iPad 2 in Sept. for a good price (nearly $330) but I'm finding I miss it less than 50% of my computing time.  Actually thinking of waiting until Q1 or Q2 to upgrade.  And if it doesn't have Touch ID, I might not upgrade at all.


     

    Yeah, I have an iPad 3 around the house that used to be mine, until my 2 year old commandeered it. I miss having it at my beck and call for email, browsing, viewing photos i took on my phone, and many other Apps that are just better than iPhone.

     

    Going forward, I'm very excited for the prospect of iPad 5. I'm so sold on Touch ID with my 5S that I'll be really disappointed if it is lacking on iPad 5....

    ....then again, I've never put a passcode on an iPad, and since the 2 have been using a Smart Cover or Smart Case to Lock/Unlock it. So with or without Touch ID, the experience of a fast/instant unlock/lock through the natural open/close of the cover is still an option.

     

    I think I'd still be ok without Touch ID. The new physical design, with the performance of A7X, is more than enough for me.

  • Reply 72 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    pmz wrote: »
    Yeah, I have an iPad 3 around the house that used to be mine, until my 2 year old commandeered it. I miss having it at my beck and call for email, browsing, viewing photos i took on my phone, and many other Apps that are just better than iPhone.

    Going forward, I'm very excited for the prospect of iPad 5. I'm so sold on Touch ID with my 5S that I'll be really disappointed if it is lacking on iPad 5....
    ....then again, I've never put a passcode on an iPad, and since the 2 have been using a Smart Cover or Smart Case to Lock/Unlock it. So with or without Touch ID, the experience of a fast/instant unlock/lock through the natural open/close of the cover is still an option.

    I think I'd still be ok without Touch ID. The new physical design, with the performance of A7X, is more than enough for me.

    I've always said id never be the dad that let his kid get on his phone or iPad. Man- that is so harder said then done. My now 4 year old- of course- wanted to use both at any opportunity. I bought her a iPod touch when she was probably 2.5 and upgraded her to the 5th gen when it came out. I highly recommend little kids have their own iDevices or none at all. Because "sharing" is a one way street. Plus they're disgusting. I swear I wash her hands, and somehow right after I wash she touches the screen and she's still grubby.
    ;)
  • Reply 73 of 78
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

    Apple's mid-range iPhone 5c is beginning to close the sales gap on the company's flagship iPhone 5s,

     

    Otherwise known as "anti-FUD"?

    /s
  • Reply 74 of 78
    charlituna wrote: »
    That is likely the reason why the iPad 2 is seen as so popular. 

    It has also been around longer than all other iPads combined.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    I
  • Reply 76 of 78
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

    As a side note. I can't wait for tallest to go after the trolls tomorrow- it's now one of the highlights of announcement days for me.



    Sick 'em little buddy!!!

     

    They’d get wiped faster if everyone helped report them. :p

     

    And remember, if you’re not sure it’s a troll, check the list.

  • Reply 77 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    They’d get wiped faster if everyone helped report them. :p

     

    And remember, if you’re not sure it’s a troll, check the list.


     

    I think you missed the point. Its not 'wait for Tallest to get back to remove the trolls', but rather 'can't wait for Tallest to get back to HAMMER the trolls'. If we get them removed before you show up, what is the entertainment value in that? :P 

  • Reply 78 of 78
    Apple iPhone 5C is witnessing lower demand in the market compelling its producers to cut down the production. Why the hell was it launched?
    http://www.iphone5sbestdeals.co.uk/
Sign In or Register to comment.