Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999

Comments

• Reply 121 of 285
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

If you start adding these so-called Thunderbolt PCI cards, which don't exist, then you won't have any room for all of these GPUs you can't add.  Ooops.

They do exist and will be offered soon, okay so in the highly unlikely scenario that I'll need a Thunderbolt then I will only be able to use 4 GPU's, I think I can manage.

• Reply 122 of 285
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Like always you fail to grasp the concept of a conversation and take everything personally. and talk down to anyone who has an opinion that isn't your one. I never said I didn't like the MacPro, just the opposite, I like it a lot. I was responding to your misguided information that the MacPro specs couldn't be had outside of an Apple machine for the same price. SuperMicro by the way offers superb support for their machines, including their barebones, tech support and on-site services (1 year is included with purchase by the way) are available, that's why I used them as a starting point. The Asus card will be available by the time the MacPro is, it's a new product, what's your point?

I grasp what you are trying to do and all it's doing is WASTING MY TIME AND INSULTING MY INTELLIGENCE.

You are trying to throw together a system that doesn't do what the MacPro does.

If you want to use OS X in a fully LEGAL and FULLY SUPPORTED Professional workstation, it's the MacPro system.  NOT SOME POS clone box with parts by different companies that don't run OS X legally or supported.

Supermicro doesn't make Thunderbolt 2 PCI card slots.  Does Supermicro support cards they don't sell or make?  Probably not.

Again, STOP YOUR BS.   I'm not invested in some PIECE OF GARBAGE clone box that doesn't LEGALLY run OS X or is NOT supported by Apple.

• Reply 123 of 285
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

They do exist and will be offered soon, okay so in the highly unlikely scenario that I'll need a Thunderbolt then I will only be able to use 4 GPU's, I think I can manage.

But you can't run OS X legally or supported on anything other than an Apple.

Again, if I ran my own business and needed people to run my IT, YOU would NOT be a person I would even consider for the job.  You have ZERO business sense, you don't understand the concept of what SUPPORT really is.

• Reply 124 of 285
    Quote:

You fail to realize that I don't care about this non-supported product because it doesn't run OS X legally.  So it isn't a conversation that is worthwhile.  YOU just wasted MY time and you should just STOP while your behind.

You are just an IDIOT.  

You waste people's time Relic.  PERIOD.

They can't be done at this time.  AGAIN, there is NO computer that runs OS X legally and fully supported that isn't made by Apple.

SuperMicro doesn't support OS X you IDIOT.

I only mentioned you CAN run OSX in one sentence, it wasn't the focus of my post by a long shot. I also said that I would run CentOS on it, not Windows 8. I'm not wasting anyone's times here except yours apparently. Yes this is an Apple forum but since more than just one person is discussing what else is on the market besides the MacPro with the same specs than what I wrote is a valid discussion point. You might not like what I have written but how dare you think you know what's best to be discussed in a free for all conversation about tech. Where do you get off calling me an idiot, why because I don't fall under your ideology of the perfect Apple user, go to hell. It is you with the problem here sir, not me.

• Reply 125 of 285
    Quote:

But you can't run OS X legally or supported on anything other than an Apple.

Again, if I ran my own business and needed people to run my IT, YOU would NOT be a person I would even consider for the job.  You have ZERO business sense, you don't understand the concept of what SUPPORT really is.

Supermicro comes with one year onsite support, how many years does Apple come with. Stop bringing up OSX, I only said you can run it, not that you have to, not that it's a good idea, this is a recreational tech forum where all things are discussed stop treating it as sales outlet for Apple. I wouldn't hire me either as that's not my field, nor would I want a such a position.

• Reply 126 of 285
    [B][SIZE=4]A change of pace...[/SIZE][/B]

from all this talk about DIY hodgepodges...

I've been running Mavericks since WWDC and have 2 Thunderbolt Promise Pegasus RAIDS and a Cinema Display attached to an iMac 27".

I just noticed this emphasis mine):

[QUOTE][B][I]Connect to next-generation peripherals at next-generation speeds.[/I][/B]
    Thunderbolt 2 gives you a superfast 20Gb/s connection to superfast storage, from portable drives ideal for use in the field to high-capacity RAID arrays. USB 3 provides fast connections to cameras and media readers. [B][I][COLOR=blue]And with direct connection between computers via Thunderbolt, [/COLOR][/I][/B]you can bring your MacBook Pro with Retina display on location, then transfer your work back to your Mac Pro.
    [/QUOTE]

http://www.apple.com/au/mac-pro/performance/

I think this is implemented in Mavericks as:

System Preferences--->Network--->Thunderbolt Bridge

AFICT, this gives IP over Thunderbolt! If true, then any/all of your Thunderbolt Macs could be interconnected.

Think of the possibilities: Buy a dozen, or so, high-end Mac Pros and use them as a render farm from your Mac Mini or iMac... Now, that's Jazz!
  • Reply 127 of 285
    relic wrote: »
    ...I wouldn't hire me either as that's not my field, nor would I want a such a position.

I wouldn't work for anyone who would hire me :D
  • Reply 128 of 285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wouldn't work for anyone who would hire me image

Yeah because we all know what you do in the supply closet. :p 

• Reply 129 of 285

THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE! THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE! THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE!

Oh, wait.

• Reply 130 of 285
    Quote:

A change of pace...

I've been running Mavericks since WWDC and have 2 Thunderbolt Promise Pegasus RAIDS and a Cinema Display attached to an iMac 27".

AFICT, this gives IP over Thunderbolt! If true, then any/all of your Thunderbolt Macs could be interconnected.

Think of the possibilities: Buy a dozen, or so, high-end Mac Pros and use them as a render farm from your Mac Mini or iMac... Now, that's Jazz!

Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

• Reply 131 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE! THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE! THE MAC PRO IS TOO EXPENSIVE!

Oh, wait.

HOLY %$#@! but can it play Doom?

• Reply 132 of 285

HOLY %$#@! but can it play Doom?

In an emulator.

• Reply 133 of 285
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I am a bit surprised that Apple went with ATI. The CUDA by NVIDIA is more accepted in the industry. For PRO users that is an important point...

CUDA is nVidia GPU only, just as Stream is ATI only.

OpenCL is, well, more open, supported by nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc... furthermore it's not GPU only, it's completely processor independent and targets ALL available processors; CPU, GPU, DSP, etc.

Apple is not going to worry about a few "industry" applications (that can eventually be updated) when making a hardware decision.

• Reply 134 of 285
    relic wrote: »
    [SIZE=16px]A change of pace...[/SIZE]

Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

Well, the only other Thunderbolt Mac that's handy to test on is a Mini,,, Sadly, I must upgrade it to Mavericks first... so it will be a while :rolleyes:
  • Reply 135 of 285
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

You could do that with FireWire previously as well (though Gigabit ethernet with a crossover cable was still faster).  So it would make sense that they'd eventually bring that capability to Thunderbolt.  Now, add channel bonding on top of that, and you've got a symphony!

• Reply 136 of 285
    I like it and would want to see it in action, I have no pressing reason to upgrade from my present desktop right now so it will be intersting in the comming months to read what new owners think and document the experience with the machine.

I like small PC's and for the size I don't think anythink can compare to it..
  • Reply 137 of 285
    donw35 wrote: »
    I like it and would want to see it in action, I have no pressing reason to upgrade from my present desktop right now so it will be intersting in the comming months to read what new owners think and document the experience with the machine.

I like small PC's and for the size I don't think anythink can compare to it..

My last iMac (July 2011) cost $3,578.00. I already have external Thunderbolt RAIDS, so storage is no big deal. I think I am going to by a new Mac Pro.

I am also really intrigued by the all-in-one, headless form factor of the AppleTV. If they added a 64-bit A7 APU, more RAM and larger SSD it could be used as a home server or a modular component of a server farm or render farm.
  • Reply 138 of 285
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    dworlund wrote: »
    They got my hopes up higher than they probably should have been by starting off the keynote with all the FREE stuff and then the price cuts on the MacBooks. I am a little disappointed at the price point.

I think they are trying to counter 3rd party RAM upgrades by bundling 12GB. Their RAM prices are here:

http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_MACPRO_S10_RAM

The MP used to be bundled with 6GB and few people would buy upgrades from Apple. Now their upgrades to 16GB/24GB/32GB etc can appear more competitive vs OWC/Crucial. OWC is still around $400 for 32GB though so for the higher amounts, they'll still be the better deal but I could see Apple offering 24GB for $300-400 as they are only charging for the 12GB upgrade. If you bought from OWC, you'd want to get the 24GB kit for $300 (because it only has 4 slots, you can't get the cheaper 2GB modules). If it was only up to $100 more from Apple, I could see people buying Apple's RAM instead. You do get to keep the original sticks with the kits but some people will just compare the prices.
    relic wrote:
    Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

Assuming it gets two Thunderbolt ports instead of one or if there's some sort of router. It's a bit strange they didn't update the iMac to TB2 considering it was updated 4 weeks ago. Surely they could have waited the 4 weeks if they needed the TB2 controllers to become available.
  • Reply 139 of 285
    Marvin wrote: »
    relic wrote:
    Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

Assuming it gets two Thunderbolt ports instead of one or if there's some sort of router. It's a bit strange they didn't update the iMac to TB2 considering it was updated 4 weeks ago. Surely they could have waited the 4 weeks if they needed the TB2 controllers to become available.

I thought I read somewhere that there is some intelligence in the Thunderbolt cable -- and that it would be possible to use a "T" connector to daisy chain devices that have only a single Thunderbolt port.
  • Reply 140 of 285
    Quote:

Um.  This isn't a XEON/Thunderbolt 2 motherboard, so it's a FAIL. Sorry.  Plus, I'm not sure the box/PSU will support the configuration.

Your first mistake is using a NON-XEON/Thunderbolt 2 motherboard, which DO NOT exist.  So, any comparisons that ANYONE makes is NOT even close.  Sorry, but you just wasted your time and everyone else's.

Please, seriously, go to this site to see what motherboards are available and NOTICE that they are NOT XEON motherboards they are i5/i7 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen but NOT XEON.  plus the only Thunderbolt 2 based motherboards are i5/i7 not XEON.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

When configuring XEON boxes with multiple GPUs, fast SSD storage, etc., they have to make sure the power supply is big enough and that it has proper cooling, otherwise the box will shut down or have frequent component failure due to improper cooling or not a big enough power supply.

If you go to HP's site, in order to configure a box with multiple GPU cards with 6G or RAM, and a 8 core processor, I think they need upgraded power supplies and water cooling and those boxes start costing more like $10K or more.  Yeah, you get internal storage cages and PCI slots, but STILL no Thunderbolt (1 or 2) ports. So, at this point it's moot, nothing is comparable on the market.

Wow, who pissed in your coffee this morning?

Yes, it is a Xeon board, no, it isn't TB2 (as you pointed out, nothing is), and yes, it will support the configuration.

I don't believe you speak for anyone else other than yourself, so I'm not sure how you can apportion values to everyone else's time..

I was actually supporting the idea that you can't build anything to that spec for the price if you've bothered to actually read what I posted rather than frothing at the mouth...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, wait.

Cool, I'll have three please, lol

What the hell did you put in it btw?