Apple announces new iPad Air: thinner, lighter & more powerful, coming Nov. 1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 138
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:

I'm confused. A7 just bought the iPhone to iPad 4 graphics levels with the A6X (a6X had double the GPU resources of the A6, thus the same-ish performance as the A7 on purely GPU), but they're saying the same A7 doubled it from the iPad 4...? Yet it's not an A7X? 

Maybe the A7 in the iPad has a higher clock-speed than the iPhone 5S? A little disappointed there's no Touch ID though.

• Reply 22 of 138

iWallet Air (noun); a thinner and lighter wallet that follows new iDevice announcements.

• Reply 23 of 138
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    andysol wrote: »
    iPad Mini- EXACTLY what I said.  A7+Retina for $399 and old Mini for $299.  How about them Apples?

Can't wait to hear from pmz...

I can't say the iPad Mini at $299 is a good deal for me. Only a $30 drop after one year with the Retina and A7 version right there at only 33% more, but I can see it selling well.

Keeping a 1st gen iDevice around may be a first. They certainly didn't do it for the iPad or IPhone.

PS: I'd image the iPad 2 is now gone.
  • Reply 24 of 138
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,144member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Maybe the A7 in the iPad has a higher clock-speed?

Doesn't seem likely given power consumptions scaling with clock speeds. Doubling resources is far more efficient than doubling clock speed. And even if it was clocked higher, double the performance of the A7 would merit an X, I would think. 

• Reply 25 of 138
    So no A7X?
  • Reply 26 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHY the name?! WHY? Just iPad. Available in 9.7” and 7.9” versions. And eventually 12/13”.

STILL SELLING THE IPAD 2?! WHY?!

Because the margin is great.

• Reply 27 of 138
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Demand.

People are idiots. Apple talks about nothing more than getting new hardware in the hands of as many people as possible… and then they keep selling crap from 2011!

Dump the 2, sell the 4th gen.

• Reply 28 of 138

Looks nice and should sell very well.

Sadly, with iOS7, I am no longer in the market for iDevices.  Would have loved this.

• Reply 29 of 138
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    tipoo wrote: »

What, lol...I am happy about it. I'm just curious. Are they just not naming it A*X now, or is it really an A7, in which case how did it double the GPU speed from A6X when the A7 in the iPhone was just about the same? 

I wouldn't' come to sites like these if "just being happy about it" was enough :P

They did increase the memory bus in the A7 chip over the A6, so it could be parts of that chip that are inactive for the iPhone version and/or as 1983 states it could be a faster clock rate on the CPU and GPU.
  • Reply 30 of 138
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Surprised an no 802.11ac, surprised at no 8mp camera, surprised at no TouchID.

Still an amazing product but i'll probably get the iPad mini with retina display, keep my iPad 3 and see what gets added to next year's update.

• Reply 31 of 138
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Since Apple changed the name I'm a bit surprised they didn't do more feature wise to distinguish it from the mini. I guess they really don't want to do anything that gives the appearance they're joining th laptop/tablet convergence bandwagon.
  • Reply 32 of 138
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    A7, good
    retina, good
    16 Gb, grrrr
    no 12", sigh
  • Reply 33 of 138
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Price in Australia went from $539 to $599. And even the iPad 2 went up $20!

Apple you $uck :mad:

• Reply 34 of 138
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    andysol wrote: »
    iPad Mini- EXACTLY what I said.  A7+Retina for $399 and old Mini for $299.  How about them Apples?

Can't wait to hear from pmz...

Non retina mini crowd certainly has egg on its face. But I don't get iPad air name at all.
  • Reply 35 of 138
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    WHY the name?! WHY?

Sticks and stones, may break your bones, but names will NEVER hurt you.

????
  • Reply 36 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Spectacular ad, by the way. 

Yes!!! I thought it was brilliant. Best ad in a long time. No doubt to be ripped off soon in a Samsung ad featuring a slow-zooming shot of a Volkswagen with the new Galaxy Note 112 behind it.

• Reply 37 of 138
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Price in Australia went from $539 to $599. And even the iPad 2 went up $20!

Apple you $uck :mad:

How'd the exchange rate move over the last year?

• Reply 38 of 138
    You're all wrong. It's iPad Nair. Who wears short shorts?

It's got a new yellow bus with 68k level 1cache. And three stroke engine. With a 150 baud Wifis.
  • Reply 39 of 138
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

I'm guessing they kept the iPad 2 because it has the same specs as the iPad Mini which they also kept. iPad 3 wouldn't have made sense as it was discontinued. iPad 4 would have been appropriate but no 30pin dock for legacy users.

Also who in the right mind would buy an iPad 2 for 399usd when an iPad Air costs 499usd which is 3 generations newer LOL!

Same with iPad mini vs iPad mini with Retina - 299 vs 399 when the SOC is generations newer.

• Reply 40 of 138
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,144member

Seems like they intend to support A5 for a long time, given how many new products are still using it.