Apple announces new iPad Air: thinner, lighter & more powerful, coming Nov. 1

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    tpldtpld Posts: 5member
    I think "Air" is a psychological thing. People associate the MacBook Air with stereotypical Apple thinness, and when you add the moniker to the iPad it drives home a closer association with that stereotype, eg. that that product is thinner (which it is, but people don't look at the specs first-hand)
  • Reply 122 of 138
    tpldtpld Posts: 5member

Heh, $20. The new Retina 15" MacBook Pros are 430 DOLLARS MORE EXPENSIVE HERE IN THAT COUNTRY DOWN UNDER. Jeez. Also, a 16GB iPhone 5s unlocked is A$200 more expensive here. Seriously, Apple...

• Reply 123 of 138
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    How come iPad Air only displays "iPad" on the casing?

The extra letters would add to the weight. Every mm, every ink droplet was considered in making it the lightest tablet possible.
  • Reply 124 of 138
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TPLD View Post

Heh, $20. The new Retina 15" MacBook Pros are 430 DOLLARS MORE EXPENSIVE HERE IN THAT COUNTRY DOWN UNDER. Jeez. Also, a 16GB iPhone 5s unlocked is A$200 more expensive here. Seriously, Apple...

That 17% currency exchange difference bites. So does including sales tax in the figure (as some do) since that's not the U.S. practice.

• Reply 125 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

People are idiots. Apple talks about nothing more than getting new hardware in the hands of as many people as possible… and then they keep selling crap from 2011!

Dump the 2, sell the 4th gen.

The iPad 2 they are currently selling is not the same iPad 2 when it first hit the market. It has received at least one upgrade and kept the designation.

• Reply 126 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That 17% currency exchange difference bites. So does including sales tax in the figure (as some do) since that's not the U.S. practice.

Actually, in the U.S. it is more than a practice, it is against the law to include the sales tax in the price.

• Reply 127 of 138
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The iPad 2 they are currently selling is not the same iPad 2 when it first hit the market. It has received at least one upgrade and kept the designation.

R… ight. Right, yeah, they swapped the… 32nm (?) A5 for a 22nm (?) A5 and got like two extra hours of battery life or something.

But still, that’s a “three” year old device instead of a four (real) year old one.

• Reply 128 of 138
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Actually, in the U.S. it is more than a practice, it is against the law to include the sales tax in the price.

Thanks I didn't know that. I like the transparency, a bit surprised enough others do so that it's law.

• Reply 129 of 138
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

R… ight. Right, yeah, they swapped the… 32nm (?) A5 for a 22nm (?) A5 and got like two extra hours of battery life or something.

But still, that’s a “three” year old device instead of a four (real) year old one.

I really think that the iPad2 is more designed by Apple for large-scale sales for point of sale devices, and stuff like that, where a Retina screen, an A7, etc. aren't really needed.  I would assume that if you buy enough of them, you'll get some sort of discount.  It doesn't seem designed for regular consumers.  I obv. could be wrong.  But that's what my gut tells me.

• Reply 130 of 138
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Within 30 seconds of this showing up on the Apple Store, I will be ordering a 64GB version.  Gazelle's giving me a decent price for my iPad3 ($230), so this won't be TOO expensive.  And I'll not only be moving to the Air, but moving up to generations.  So, I'm really excited.  This looks like one gorgeous piece of technology.

[Begin Rant]

On a side note, I don't know what some people are smoking, but I want some.  People (here and elsewhere) are "disappointed" that Apple didn't, essentially, make the iPad into a freakin' notebook.  I can't believe that after all this time people don't understand the difference between an iOS-based touch device and an OSX-based keyboard/mouse/trackpad device.  File systems?  Really?!

For the last time: THEY ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGICAL PARADIGMS!

If you want OSX features on your iPad, consider this: 

The iPad Air with 128GB, an ARM-based A7 processor is $799 (Wi-Fi only).

An 11" MacBook Air with 2x the storage, a Core-i5, a real, full-sized keyboard, a trackpad, and OSX is $1,199.  One with 4x the storage is $1,499.  (Oh, and don't start with, "But that's $400 more!" -- Sorry, if you can afford $800 for a tablet, then $400 more a notebook isn't going to be a big deal to you.  If it is a big deal, then you can't afford the $800 tablet in the first place.)

If you really want file system access, a keyboard with keys, and all the rest of that stuff, then get a freakin' MacBook Air.  Stop complaining that an iOS-based device, designed for touch interface isn't a notebook.  Jesus.

[End Rant]

Sorry about that. :)

• Reply 131 of 138
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I really think that the iPad2 is more designed by Apple for large-scale sales for point of sale devices, and stuff like that, where a Retina screen, an A7, etc. aren't really needed.  I would assume that if you buy enough of them, you'll get some sort of discount.  It doesn't seem designed for regular consumers.  I obv. could be wrong.  But that's what my gut tells me.

That also makes sense. Okay, you’ve all convinced me, at least; I now see why continuing to sell the iPad 2 isn’t a terrible idea. 

But I’d better darn well start seeing more iPad cash registers to justify it.

• Reply 132 of 138
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

With the OG Mini and iPad 2 still being sold, I can only imagine existing owners may have more reason to just hold on to their devices. Apple will be supporting the A5 chip for years to come. 

And to put on my speculation cap, the reason I feel Apple continues to sell these older devices, and not the 4th gen or the 3rd gen is because of the screen. I'd assume that Apple is facing bottlenecks in production of their retina screens. They simply cannot produce/sell the 3rd, 4th and 5th gen iPads simultaneously. 

• Reply 133 of 138
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

With the OG Mini and iPad 2 still being sold, I can only imagine existing owners may have more reason to just hold on to their devices. Apple will be supporting the A5 chip for years to come. 

And to put on my speculation cap, the reason I feel Apple continues to sell these older devices, and not the 4th gen or the 3rd gen is because of the screen. I'd assume that Apple is facing bottlenecks in production of their retina screens. They simply cannot produce/sell the 3rd, 4th and 5th gen iPads simultaneously. 

Could it also be that many iPad Apps are still only running native non-retina display graphics so Apple must keep a device out there that supports those said apps?

• Reply 134 of 138
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    simtub wrote: »

Could it also be that many iPad Apps are still only running native non-retina display graphics so Apple must keep a device out there that supports those said apps?

Non-Retina apps scale to use 2x2 grid of pixels instead of 1x1 so it's a non-issue. Plus, there are still plenty of iPhone App Store apps that haven't been updated to Retina (or updated at all) that are still available.
  • Reply 135 of 138
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

People are idiots. Apple talks about nothing more than getting new hardware in the hands of as many people as possible… and then they keep selling crap from 2011!

Dump the 2, sell the 4th gen.

No. Better differentiation this way. The 4 at $399 would hurt the Air at $499. Not so much  with iPad 2. Plus it makes for a unified lineup:  non-Retina & Retina mini, and non-Retina & Retina full size. Both with $100 separations, and significant performance differentiation.

• Reply 136 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

Uh, no. The Retina display creates a big performance gap, which is what they're going for.

• Reply 137 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The extra letters would add to the weight. Every mm, every ink droplet was considered in making it the lightest tablet possible.

Really? Wouldn't etching reduce weight? If so they should have called it iPad Supercalifragilistic