Apple announces new iPad Air: thinner, lighter & more powerful, coming Nov. 1

Comments

• Reply 101 of 138
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    dunks wrote: »
    It's really curious that the new iPad Air and Mini are matched spec-for-spec except for price, weight and PPI, all of which the mini beats out the Air.

I was willing to sidegrade to the mini from iPad 3 for the weight alone. A7 makes this is a massive upgrade.

It seems doubtful that the mini could match the Air for battery life as quoted though.

There is the smaller backlight which does help significantly but for the additional drop in size and weight I'm guessing it's clocked lower to the reduce power draw.
  • Reply 102 of 138
    Don't lament the lack of Touch ID in the iPad Air too much. The button on my 5S is getting more finicky by the day. It often takes 2-3 attempts to unlock the screen. Would be just as fast, though arguably less secure, to swipe and enter a 4-digit PIN.
  • Reply 103 of 138
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's full-size iPad has been given a new name: The iPad Air. The new model has a 20 percent thinner design, just 7.5 millimeters thick and weighing in at just one pound, making it the lightest full-size tablet in the world.

I have a problem with this statement. Who exactly determines what a full-size tablet is? Sony could argue that their Xperia Z (10.1") is the lightest full-size tablet as the 9.7" iPad is a smaller device...???

• Reply 104 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IamtheGTIguy View Post

So it's obvious that Apple is attempting slowly begin aligning the iPad with its computer line.

They could have just called it the "new iPad," or any other conceivable name. But the fact that they chose "air" means that they are setting the stage for an iPad "Pro."

My guess is that the Pro will have the finger id button, it will feature more storage space, and it might even have a clever keyboard accessory like MS' Surface (although much better executed, of course).

If they can charge, say, $700 or $800 for an iPad Pro, it makes the "Air" the choice for the average user, whereas the "mini" becomes the de-facto model for younger audiences and those with less money.

I think Apple's long-term goal (over, say, 10-12 years) is to completely phase-out x86-based computers and Mac Os. As Apple slowly expands iOS into the "professional" arena, and exponentially increases the power of its AX processors, I think we will see entire laptops/desktops running a future version of iOS using Apple-produced proprietary processors.

And I think the move today toward integrating the iPad into the computer lineup is the very first step.

Sorry, but phasing OS X means folks still don't get the difference between embedded and non-embedded worlds.

Desktop/Laptop/Workstation class CPU architectures are about to take a huge leap forward. Guess what? They aren't jumping off a cliff to scale down to the size of a 1W footprint. On full-load designs they will reach their peak in present material designs, then leap heavily in new Material Science Engineering designs with Graphene and in the Z-plane.

Then they move from 5-7 Billion Transitors to 500-700 Billion transistors with present day Wattage loads for the Workstation class.

You should see where this is going. Embedded space has reached its zenith in `thinness.' It's going to be about more advanced and force dampening polymers that can expand performance while maintaning 2013 power consumption levels.

The only area that will scale down more is the luxury world of iWatch.

• Reply 105 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

On full-load designs they will reach their peak in present material designs, then leap heavily in new Material Science Engineering designs with Graphene and in the Z-plane.

We love it when you talk dirty :smokey:

• Reply 106 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHY the name?! WHY? Just iPad. Available in 9.7” and 7.9” versions. And eventually 12/13”.

STILL SELLING THE IPAD 2?! WHY?!

Mac Mini - iPad mini

iPad Air - MacBook Air

iPad Pro? - MacBook Pro

What do you think?

• Reply 107 of 138
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Mac Mini - iPad mini

iPad Air - MacBook Air

iPad Pro? - MacBook Pro

What do you think?

I think it’s valid. I also think it’s unnecessary. One iPad, three sizes. When they had 13”, 15” and 17”, it wasn’t MacBook Pro Mini, MacBook Pro Air, and MacBook Pro Pro, after all.

• Reply 108 of 138

How come iPad Air only displays "iPad" on the casing?

airinhand

• Reply 109 of 138
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Because hooray.

• Reply 110 of 138

iPad Air Parody (didn't take long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enbhb-mY69Y

• Reply 111 of 138

iPad Air Parody (didn't take long)

Didn’t think I’d ever hear the dial-up tone again. Ah, the memories.

The horrid… horrid memories.

“Do you actually remember anything?”

No.

• Reply 112 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by huffcw View Post

Maybe you're right - but I will say that I thought the same thing until I actually had these things available in a tablet.

USB ... super easy to quickly pop-in a thumb drive and pull up a bunch of movies to playback directly (no transferring of files to deal with, no worries about not having enough space or a connection to stream, I can keep several drives with me - loaded with things for the kids and for me, etc.)

MicroSD ... After continually juggling files on the iPad because there was not enough room to store my photos, music, etc., it is so nice to have the option for extra storage right on the device.

Flash ... I don't disagree with you completely on this one, but even though it is sure to die out completely soon, there are still a ton of Flash-based games that the kids like. 

You don't want a tablet. You want a PC shaped like a tablet.

• Reply 113 of 138
    Quote:

airinhand

To keep the name out of the supply chain leaks?

• Reply 114 of 138
    iPad Air? Does this mean we should expect an iPad Pro?
  • Reply 115 of 138
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    howie wrote: »
    iPad Air? Does this mean we should expect an iPad Pro?

I think it's worth pondering.
  • Reply 116 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

This is really disappointing! The form factor is nice but I think it is time for the innovation that I expect from Apple!

IGZO Display - This should have been deployed by apple some time ago. Tablets are now entering the marketplace with these displays. I would have expected it from Apple first. The energy savings would have allowed them to shrink the battery and open considerably more options!

USB Support - This is long overdue. There is nothing more frustrating then being forced to use a computer to copy data from a USB device to my iPad. Not to mention the frustration involved when I don't have the computer that contains my library.

Micro SD Support - Numerous driod devices have had this for some time and I am still limited by the constraints of my initial purchase size. I would like to have my music on one sd and videos for my kids on another. Currently I have to juggle what videos and music I put on the device and further limit it by the constraints of importing video to use in 1Second Everyday.

Keyboard Accessory - They haven't release a keyboard dock since the original in ages. It would be nice to have a keyboard like the ones used on the surface.

Larger Display - I want a larger display, not a mini. I use my iPad and I like the size. If I wanted to read a book. I would read it using something with e-ink. I want it for media. Give me something with a 12 or even 18 inch touch screen!

Split Screen - This feature is long overdue. There is nothing more frustrating than flipping back and forth between applications to accomplish a single task. Give me the ability to view my research in one half of the display and compose a document in the other. This has been around for some time now. I use multiple monitors on the desktop, why cant you give me the ability to do that here. Even those with, cough/choke/laugh, Windows have the ability to use split screen. Samsung touchwiz implemented the feature... Why cant I have the feature without a joke of an OS.

Stylus Input - I want to scream, each and every time I have to use my finger to sign something. What good is a signature if you cannot pickup the nuances of an actual pen. Authenticating a signature is improbable.

File System Access - I am not always close to the computer with my iTunes library. Give me the ability to add something! 

Photo Modified Date -  If I save something to my camera roll it sets the file created date to the date of download. When applications access the ios asset library they are given a created date without the modified date. As a result there is no way for them to determine when the photo was actually taken! This is something that has been available in most commercial file systems back to DOS and Xerox OS. Linux has it, isn't that what iOS is based on...

I am afraid that the innovation that I had come to expect from apple has died with Steve. I am finally considering a move to something else. :(

Don't forget the DVD-drive and floppy disk.

What you call "innovation" is merely the 2002 Windows Tablet PC with Intel Pentium III.

I would have given you the benefit of a doubt and assumed you just like PCs, but that ignorant remark about Steve Jobs and innovation has me convinced that you don't understand Steve's vision of a cloud-connected, pervasively wireless, post-PC device. Your list is yesterday's paradigm of computing, which Apple leading the charge away from since Steve unveiled the iPhone.

• Reply 117 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

This is really disappointing! The form factor is nice but I think it is time for the innovation that I expect from Apple!

IGZO Display - This should have been deployed by apple some time ago. Tablets are now entering the marketplace with these displays. I would have expected it from Apple first. The energy savings would have allowed them to shrink the battery and open considerably more options!

USB Support - This is long overdue. There is nothing more frustrating then being forced to use a computer to copy data from a USB device to my iPad. Not to mention the frustration involved when I don't have the computer that contains my library.

Micro SD Support - Numerous driod devices have had this for some time and I am still limited by the constraints of my initial purchase size. I would like to have my music on one sd and videos for my kids on another. Currently I have to juggle what videos and music I put on the device and further limit it by the constraints of importing video to use in 1Second Everyday.

Keyboard Accessory - They haven't release a keyboard dock since the original in ages. It would be nice to have a keyboard like the ones used on the surface.

Larger Display - I want a larger display, not a mini. I use my iPad and I like the size. If I wanted to read a book. I would read it using something with e-ink. I want it for media. Give me something with a 12 or even 18 inch touch screen!

Split Screen - This feature is long overdue. There is nothing more frustrating than flipping back and forth between applications to accomplish a single task. Give me the ability to view my research in one half of the display and compose a document in the other. This has been around for some time now. I use multiple monitors on the desktop, why cant you give me the ability to do that here. Even those with, cough/choke/laugh, Windows have the ability to use split screen. Samsung touchwiz implemented the feature... Why cant I have the feature without a joke of an OS.

Stylus Input - I want to scream, each and every time I have to use my finger to sign something. What good is a signature if you cannot pickup the nuances of an actual pen. Authenticating a signature is improbable.

File System Access - I am not always close to the computer with my iTunes library. Give me the ability to add something! 

Photo Modified Date -  If I save something to my camera roll it sets the file created date to the date of download. When applications access the ios asset library they are given a created date without the modified date. As a result there is no way for them to determine when the photo was actually taken! This is something that has been available in most commercial file systems back to DOS and Xerox OS. Linux has it, isn't that what iOS is based on...

I am afraid that the innovation that I had come to expect from apple has died with Steve. I am finally considering a move to something else. :(

The desirability and urgency for the features you propose may be worthy of debate, but it is incorrect to assume that Jobs did or would have embraced many, if any, of them. Apple, under Jobs's direction, has always been uncompromising about eliminating the extraneous to achieve the essential function of a device in the context of the user experience - the pursuit of a pure, unified design characteristic and aesthetic.

The iPad is designed to provide an intimate and natural gesture touch experience for task performance as effortlessly and simply as possible. That's why iOS was created, to take advantage of the specific form and function attributes of a touch-based devise. Complexity is hidden, ease of use advanced. Device portability and independence in service of the user experience  established and ensured. To advance those objectives, it leverages technologies like wireless content delivery and cloud storage/synchronization for user content. 

It's also worth noting that an absence of feature inclusion does not equate to a lack of innovation. It's a faulty premise. Apple's strategy determines design and implementation. Any decisions relating to product are long-considered, based upon projections of future directions as well as present need, and entirely intentional. One way to innovate is to take the lead in technology, even if it has to drag some users kicking and screaming into the future now. Besides, there simply is little incentive for Apple to provide for means outside its ecosystem.

• Reply 118 of 138
    WOW!! check this Beautiful Leaked image of IPhone6 awesome here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=78253612471688092037.png
  • Reply 119 of 138
    It's easy to say its a let down and be a hater but its going to be amazing to use something the comparisons dont do it justice, i cant wait to get one, compared to the likes of nokias new lumia it comes off slightly worse specwise but still its definitely going to outsell it
  • Reply 120 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran Murphy View Post

It's easy to say its a let down and be a hater but its going to be amazing to use something the comparisons dont do it justice, i cant wait to get one, compared to the likes of nokias new lumia http://versus.com/en/apple-ipad-air-vs-nokia-lumia-2520 it comes off slightly worse specwise but still its definitely going to outsell it

Pardon. What?? :???: