Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Comments

• Reply 141 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

OK, and your point? 

So, does that include your opinions too? You're saying that your opinions reek like a stinking asshole? Great… very nice.

How about this. How about NOT spreading your "stinking opinions" around here? That would be nicer for the rest of us, clearly. 

Some of us actually don't work at creating a stench everywhere we go. Get that?

Stupid is as stupid does.  - Momma Gump

• Reply 142 of 203
    Quote:

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Andysol is right, though, man. For you and I it would be great to be able to buy it cheaper, but Apple has had great success with the product and, to date, they have been very accurate with iPad pricing. I don't think Apple wants to sell it cheaper if they know they can sell it at a higher price point... even a "much" higher price point.

If the Nexus line is able to deliver the same experience, same quality and the same ecosystem as Apple then maybe Apple has a problem. At present it doesn't look like Google even comes close... well, at least in my opinion.

If you are really worried about Apple's share price then all I can say is... don't worry. Apple has a great product mix and if they blow the pricing on one product then they can adjust without much, if any, damage.

... and that is... just my opinion.

• Reply 143 of 203
    The new mini is close to full at its specs now, at $100 it makes since now, just strange the mini had went from A5 to A7 with the A5X, A6, A6X in between.
  • Reply 144 of 203
    Quote:

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

Irrelevant. It's a compelling device.

• Reply 145 of 203
    allenbf wrote: »
    Exactly, same here. I've wanted a mini with retina for a year now. But for $100 more I can get the Air. And it's lighter and thinner so portability becomes less of a factor.

Apple is crafty, methinks the $399 price tag is simply to up sell people. It may work on me...

Why should the iPad mini with retina display cost less than the iPad Air with the same amount of storage, A7/M7 chip, same display resolution and battery life? What can't the mini do that justifies a reduction in price?
  • Reply 146 of 203
    Up till today, I never would have considered an iPad mini, but now: Same processor, same number of pixels onscreen, save 4 oz. of weight and $100 in cash, and in return all I have to do is hold it 81% as far away? That's definitely doable.
  • Reply 147 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Andysol is right, though, man.

Now you're learning...
    Ps- love the outfit you wore today. ;)
  • Reply 148 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Now you're learning...

Ps- love the outfit you wore today. image

... but I still believe that Apple is short on its expected 5c numbers.

You see, when I think people are right... I'll say so. When I think they are wrong... then I'll say so.

PS - take the curlers out of your hair for our next date.

• Reply 149 of 203
    My take away from today's announcements are that they've essentially converged the larger and smaller models, design, hardware and spec-wise.

As far as I can tell, the iPad Air and new iPad Mini have identical features and hardware, with the only differences being screen size and price.

Both have the A7 and M7 processors, the same cameras, dual microphones, the same storage options (16GB ~ 128GB), both have the same form factor and color options. I've scoured the tech specs and can't find any differences other than those two mentioned above.

So the same exact device hardware-wise, at different sizes? Pretty cool!

It's going to be hard deciding which to buy. Guess I'll have to wait until later in November, so I can compare them side by side. Assuming, that is, that the iPad Air doesn't sell itself on sight come November 1st! :D
  • Reply 150 of 203
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

LOL. Pretty happy to be wrong about the iPad mini. This is indeed a better update than I could have hoped for, and shows that Apple values the iPad mini as an equal to the iPad Air, by giving it basically the same specs. Quite possible the new mini outsells the air at these close feature sets.

This is a strange move as it will cannibalize the iPad Air like no other...but perhaps Apple thinks thats going to happen anyway, so might as well do it right.

It is better to cannibalize your own products that someone else cannibalizing them for you. I like what Apple did here. If you look at their Macs and iOS devices you will see that now there is a price point for everyone.

• Reply 151 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

OK, and your point? 

So, does that include your opinions too? You're saying that your opinions reek like a stinking asshole? Great… very nice.

How about this. How about NOT spreading your "stinking opinions" around here? That would be nicer for the rest of us, clearly. 

Some of us actually don't work at creating a stench everywhere we go. Get that?

Stupid is as stupid does.  - Momma Gump

It's a common phrase.  I wasn't calling anyone an asshole or insulting them.  It also applies to my opinions as they are opinions.

• Reply 152 of 203
    Touch ID is a big miss with both iPads having A7 chipset and they are pushing productivity free suit, security is big. A7 instead of A7X means it won't be much faster than the A7 in the iPhine 5S which is a disappointment. Keeping the storage at 16/32/64 instead of 32/64/128 is a disappointment, paying 100$ for double the storage should give you more. iPad 2 instead of the 4 at 399$ is also a dissapointmet, it's 30 pin and performance is way behind with the A5(same for iPad mini 1). 5m camera is a dissapointmet it's 3 years old now.

iPad 5 weight just 1 pound and being smaller is amazing and iPad Mini 2 having the same hardware makes it now a decision on size not performance. iCloud web/pc/phone/tablet collaboration is great for business. 299$ iPad mini will be big on schools with the iWork free suit. IWork free on the PC side is great for college kids and business. Free Maverics is amazing even for leopard PC's.

Again they did enough but not everything you will want on the iPad side.
  • Reply 153 of 203
    Quote:

It's a common phrase.  I wasn't calling anyone an asshole or insulting them.  It also applies to my opinions as they are opinions.

Unless your opinions conform to the norm around here... well... you know...

I had one guy insult the shit (keeping with the theme) out of me and I'd never even had an exchange with him.

It takes all types.

• Reply 154 of 203
    Quote:

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

Maybe you prefer the wider screen. Maybe you have already invested in the Apple ecosystem or otherwise prefer iOS.

• Reply 155 of 203

WOW!! check this Beautiful Leaked image of IPhone6 awesome here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=78253612471688092037.png

?

• Reply 156 of 203
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Buy your own. They want everyone to have one. It’s not that difficult to understand.

Another typical Tallest Skil b*tch answer. Why add "it's not that difficult to understand"? Why are you being such an ***?
    The poster may perfectly understand WHY but would really love to see multiuser. That's it. Can you assume good intentions for once and keep a constructive dialog going on?
  • Reply 157 of 203
    Yes and no. Two factors: 1. Demand of 5s is so great that they might have trouble making enough sensors for multiple product lines. 2. It is not uncommon for Apple to hold something back for the "tock" year of their tick-tock cycle.
    Touch ID is the Siri of this cycle
  • Reply 158 of 203
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

I wouldn't worry too much about the iPad's price, the entry level is now the iPad mini, and that covers the price points.

• Reply 159 of 203
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

They can't make enough TouchID's for both the 5S and all the iPads.  Also the iPhone usually gets the new features first since its also the most expensive product.  Also Apple wants to see how the TouchID works for the 5S before they expand it to all iOS devices.

The storage disappointments are a fact of life.  I'll say it again.  If Apple wanted each model (16/32/64/128) to have the EXACT same gross margin prices would look like this:

iPad Air

16G - $549

32G - $599

64G - $649

128G - $699

Bottom line is the 16GB is being sold at a discount.  The larger storage options are subsidizing the 16GB model.  Its not that the 128GB is a ripoff, its the 16GB model is a deal.  Also take into consideration economies of scale.  I'm sure the low storage models sell the most so they can afford to have lower margins.

Don't even waste time on the iPad2.  Its the bottom of the barrel product like the iPhone 4.  It is what it is.  Selling the iPad3 for $399 would hurt margins big time.

What a strange little man you are. I doubt you even own stock, and are obsessed with margins ( unlike us stock or options holders who only care about EPS, or stock price growth - which can happen if the stock anticipates future growth regardless of EPS). 

but there you are, probably writing from a tent or a hole in the ground, arguing the most important thing to you is Apple charges more and keeps it's margins. I have no idea why you care. Customers should be supporting lower prices, made up for with higher sales. Stock holders just want a good EPS, or dividends. As an options holder I want stock growth, which is more likely with market anticipation of higher sales than maintaining margins. 

The arguments are hysterical because the stakes are non-existent.

• Reply 160 of 203
    "It's also the only small tablet to deliver Apple's full iOS ecosystem and App Store."

U don't say. I believe that Lamborghini's Aventadors are also the only top of the line super cars to sport the Lamborghini Bull.
    Unbelievable. How come Ferrari doesn't succeed in imitating such a differentiating feature.

Come on, AI. Please.