Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Comments

• Reply 121 of 203
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    gqb wrote: »
    Regarding weight...
    iPad Air: 1 lb
    iPad 2:   1.33
    iPad 3/4: 1.5 (?)

New iPad mini: .73 lb
    iPad mini: .68 lb

So the mini has gotten heavier (presumably due to more battery needed. Its gotten .01" thicker as well.
    The iPad Air is nearly a half pound lighter, and considerably smaller.

I had been pretty sure I'd go for the Retina mini (mostly because my left arm is starting to suffer pretty serious pain from holding it) but I'm beginning to think I may go for the Air.

Exactly, same here. I've wanted a mini with retina for a year now. But for $100 more I can get the Air. And it's lighter and thinner so portability becomes less of a factor.

Apple is crafty, methinks the $399 price tag is simply to up sell people. It may work on me...
  • Reply 122 of 203

Yea but the PPI on the 9.7 is 264 so you were sort of right and wrong at the same time.  It is the same number of pixels pushed onto a smaller screen size but the 324 PPI is right (for the new retina) or almost anyway (according to aapl website the ppi is 326. )

• Reply 123 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

That doesn't say anything to your point at all. I must have misunderstood you, or the other way around.

no Touch ID on any iPad... that was my original 'latter' point.

• Reply 124 of 203
    andysol wrote: »
    iPad Mini- EXACTLY what several of us assumed.  A7+Retina for $399 and old Mini for $299.  Awesome!

Can't wait to hear from pmz... Love this thread.

Yeah... I was expecting an A7X APU and ac WiFi in the new iPads.

But this is still good!

I will keep my iPad 4 for home use, buy an iPad Mini 128 GB for on the go. and, likely, will buy a New Mac Pro in December.

There are still some other things to drop:
    • FCPX, Motion, Compressor
    • 4K Displays
    • Mac Minis
    • AppleTV

So, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more announcements before year end.

The big takeaways are:

Apple offers 64-bit across its entire lineup of new products!

Apple has free OS (and upgrades) across its entire lineup of new products!

Apple has free creative apps (and upgrades) across its entire lineup of new products!

Apple has free productivity apps (and upgrades) across its entire lineup of new products!
  • Reply 125 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

no Touch ID on any iPad... that was my original 'latter' point.

I misunderstood you as declaring that TouchID could not physically fit into the iPad. My bad.

• Reply 126 of 203

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you enjoy being an idiot? Does it sexually pleasure you or something? Willful ignorance is a disease, really.

Ah, I see. You’re deaf… DUMB… and blind. Simultaneously. That makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

This from the ex-mod moron with an IQ of 13. The same idiot who spent years telling us what a failure an ipad mini would be. :rotfl:

That's what ya gotta love about this place. A bunch of toddlers who can't handle anything outside their playground mental images of what they think Apple should be.

You two should get a room ... But please use prophylactics. God forbid you two should produce offspring.

• Reply 127 of 203

So we've now got 4 iPads.  Two based on 2nd generation technology and two based on 5th generation technology.  Choice is always good.

Pricing on the retina mini seems a bit high, but I think Apple is trying to increase the ASP of their tablets, as they were getting hurt as more and more people 'down sized' from 10" tablets.    Will be interesting to see if this pricing works.  I'm guessing the techies will go for the higher end models but many won't care and will buy the two lower end models and it's better to keep them in the Apple world than lose them to Android.  Like others here though, I find the technology in the mini and iPad 2 to be very dated, but Apple is probably right on this and many won't care.

• Reply 128 of 203

We can now predict what iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 might feature:

- Processor bump. Maybe RAM bump too.

- TouchID.

- 802 ac.

- Camera bump.

• Reply 129 of 203
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    Quote:

- TouchID.

- 802 ac.

- Camera bump.

*fist bump*

:)

• Reply 130 of 203
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Does anyone know yet whether the mini has the EXACT same processor a the iPad Air or is it gimped with respect to processor speed/GPU cores.
  • Reply 131 of 203
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Does anyone know yet whether the mini has the EXACT same processor a the iPad Air or is it gimped with respect to processor speed/GPU cores.

They couldn’t gimp GPU. Same screen, remember.

• Reply 132 of 203
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

- TouchID.

- 802 ac.

- Camera bump.

You just named them all.  No surprises really.  :)

The iPhone 6… now that's where the fun will be.

• Reply 133 of 203
    andysol wrote: »
    That's according to you.  It wasn't overpriced to me.  It apparently was not overpriced to Apple- and it was selling in droves- otherwise they wouldn't have raised the price.

The truth is- your opinion doesn't matter to Apple because they are successful with how they did it.  And if they thought selling it at $279 would create more profit with volume than $329- they would have done that.  I enjoy hearing yours and other's opinions- they don't.  They are brilliant- you and I aren't.  ;)  

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.
  • Reply 134 of 203
    I'm sure Apple wants/wanted to put Touch ID into these new models. You can only roll out new tech so fast though. I'm sure they're using everything they can produce to fulfill 5s orders, and that will continue for awhile. Once that dust settles, I'm willing to guess we'll get a mid-cycle update to the iPads that adds Touch ID.

They did it with cameras on the iPad. There was a shortage of camera components around the time they first launched it (along with a new iPhone which was exacerbating that shortage). But a tear down showed a 'gap' and space for a camera that simply wasn't there. Cameras were added to the iPad with the next iteration%u2026

It has already been demonstrated that the new iPad designs can accommodate the Touch ID home button.

I think it's just a matter of (relatively little) time before all their mobile devices (laptops included) feature Touch ID. Hell, they may even incorporate it into their desktop machines one day. Why not?
  • Reply 135 of 203
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

What's missing in all this is that another year has passed without any new innovations from Apple. Since Tim took over the only new thing we've had is fingerprint addition to the iPhone. Aside from that we've only had are size, spec and performance changes/increases. Yes, they are great products, but time for something new.

You really want that washer/dryer combination don't you?

• Reply 136 of 203
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I'm sure Apple wants/wanted to put Touch ID into these new models. You can only roll out new tech so fast though. I'm sure they're using everything they can produce to fulfill 5s orders, and that will continue for awhile. Once that dust settles, I'm willing to guess we'll get a mid-cycle update to the iPads that adds Touch ID.

They did it with cameras on the iPad. There was a shortage of camera components around the time they first launched it (along with a new iPhone which was exacerbating that shortage). But a tear down showed a 'gap' and space for a camera that simply wasn't there. Cameras were added to the iPad with the next iteration%u2026

It has already been demonstrated that the new iPad designs can accommodate the Touch ID home button.

I think it's just a matter of (relatively little) time before all their mobile devices (laptops included) feature Touch ID. Hell, they may even incorporate it into their desktop machines one day. Why not?

Waiting on it for general brand distribution makes sense to me: it's somewhat nice but not all that breathtaking: it's waiting on applications to take advantage of it and that's out a ways. Were the needs of the vast numbers needed for the 5s to be in any way pinched if they'd incorporated Touch ID across these new devices that would have been a nasty bottleneck all around. The tech on the new retina mini and iPad 5 are compelling in their own right, the security issue is down a notch from my view (and I can enter a good passcode just about as fast...). Getting phones more secure stuck me as the priority: people leave phones behind all the time... starting with prototypes. :)

• Reply 137 of 203
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They couldn’t gimp GPU. Same screen, remember.

Duh! I totally forgot about that ;)

Well in that case, I'm finding it hard to imagine going with the larger iPad Air for $100 more. I'm paying more for a nearly 2" of screen size, but lower DPI. Decisions, decisions.

• Reply 138 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

$399 for the Retina mini is way too high.  This model should have started at the price of the old mini while the old mini dropped further.  It's nice that they included the A7, but I really think this model is priced too far above its competition.  The Retina mini costs 74% more than a Nexus 7.  How is that a compelling price?

Maybe one, some or all of these:

- 74% more compelling overall experience? (The ecosystem, high-end performance, included software, iCloud account, etc. there is just no comparison with the train-wreck, windows-like Android experience. And Apple's devices are head and shoulders above anything made for Android quality-wise, including the Nexus. You get what you pay for!)

- 74% longer product lifecycle? (I still use my iPad 01 every single day, since a week after it was originally released, almost four years ago. It shows no signs of aging yet: no slowdowns, no diminished battery life, is 100% as functional as the day I bought it. How many Nexus' can you say that about after even one year of use? Go read the forums about that… yeah, no thanks!)

- 74% better service and support? (Apple after-sales support is unrivaled in any industry. Try replacing a defective Nexus on the spot with no waiting, 6 months after you bought it. I did that with my first, 1st-gen iPhone that was experiencing lock-up (RAM) issues after 6 months of use. Walked into an Apple Store, walked out 15 minutes later with a brand new replacement, no argument, no hassle.)

Worth the extra money? I'd have to say yes, for ANY of the reasons above.

• Reply 139 of 203
    Quote:

That's what ya gotta love about this place. A bunch of toddlers who can't handle anything outside their playground mental images of what they think Apple should be.

It's not exactly like you're elevating either the tone or the quality of the discussion....

• Reply 140 of 203
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

iPad Mini- EXACTLY what several of us assumed.  A7+Retina for $399 and old Mini for $299.  Awesome!

Can't wait to hear from pmz... Love this thread.

LOL. Pretty happy to be wrong about the iPad mini. This is indeed a better update than I could have hoped for, and shows that Apple values the iPad mini as an equal to the iPad Air, by giving it basically the same specs. Quite possible the new mini outsells the air at these close feature sets.

This is a strange move as it will cannibalize the iPad Air like no other...but perhaps Apple thinks thats going to happen anyway, so might as well do it right.