Apple axes non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro, keeps disk drive-toting 13" legacy model

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With the introduction of Apple's latest MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup, including an entry level 13-inch model, the company phased out the 15-inch non-Retina version, leaving only the 13-inch with SuperDrive remaining.

MacBook Pro
Apple's 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro. | Source: Apple

In clear indication of the direction in which Apple is moving, the company on Tuesday updated its Retina MacBook Pro product offerings with faster CPUs, more RAM and next-generation graphics, while killing off the legacy 15-inch non-Retina model. The 13-inch MacBook Pro stands as the only non-Retina model in Apple's Online Store.

Price points were likely to blame for the non-Retina MacBook's axing, as Apple now has a high-resolution version of its 13- and 15-inch laptops starting at $1,299 and $1,999, respectively. By comparison, the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro starts at $1,199, not a substantial savings for those in the market for a new computer.

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display is the least expensive of Apple's high-res computers, with specs somewhat similar to the non-Retina iteration. To power the Retina quality screen, however, the new Pro uses Intel's Iris integrated graphics chip, while the older model is relegated to last-generation Intel HD Graphics 4000 technology. Additionally, the latest 13-inch version is even slimmer than last year, coming in at only 0.71 inches thick.

It should be noted that Apple has reintroduced the 4GB memory option with the low-end MacBook Pro with Retina display, possibly in a bid to keep margins high.

While it ships with OS X Mavericks, the legacy 13-inch Pro did not receive any new configurable options, retaining the last year's optional 1TB hard drive or 512GB SSD, 8GB of memory and 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor.

While some will be disappointed with the Apple's decision to kill off the 15-inch non-Retina laptop, the company is obviously moving toward a thin-and-light, high-resolution future that has no space for internal disk drives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    And still no 17".
    I bought 3 of them on the grey market this year only.
    I work on 17" since 2003. What am I to do ?
    B***y hell%u2026
  • Reply 2 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh well at least I now have a collector's item! :D
  • Reply 3 of 91
    quantz wrote: »
    And still no 17".
    B***y hell%u2026

Magnifying glasses? :D
  • Reply 4 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Magnifying glasses? image

I'm in the publishing industry, and need to open 3 pages or more under 3 different apps simultaneously, on the go.

I can't do that with 15".

• Reply 5 of 91
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

I'm in the publishing industry, and need to open 3 pages or more under 3 different apps simultaneously, on the go.

Sounds like you need a large screen monitor rather than just using the laptop screen.  Don't most professionals in he publishing industry actually use a large screen to do most of their work? 

• Reply 6 of 91
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

And still no 17".

B***y hell%u2026

The panels themselves might be too expensive.

Submit your requests to www.apple.com/feedback, obviously we can't really do anything except give you alternate ideas, but the more people that request the 17inch model, maybe they'll bring them back.  Remember, they have to sell enough of them to make it cost effective in the R&D, marketing, etc. 

• Reply 7 of 91

Sorry bad joke .. ... but so was I, that's why pre retirement I used 2 x 30" Apple Cinema Displays (and a 23" ACD too) and a high end fully loaded Mac Pro. If it's business then the equipment pays for itself in no time and is tax deductible. Why limit yourself to a measly 17" MBP? Oh I missed the 'on the go' part ... well that's tough!
  • Reply 8 of 91
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    And so ends the aftermarket RAM market for MBPs. Good thing they added a 16GB model.

Edit: SWEET! Thunderbolt 2. Glad I held off.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Last year's specs with last year's price point, just like the iPad 2.
    Only Apple could pull that BS with a straight face.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

It can go to the same resolution now so your workspace with the 15" would be the same amount, it's just slightly scaled down.

[VIDEO]

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1385935&page=5

If you normally sit 24" away then for it to look identical, you'd have to move 2.5" closer (the displays are 15.4" vs 17.0"). The IPS displays in the rMBP don't shift colors at different angles either.

There are other supplementary options like using an iPad as a second display or a USB powered display:

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-E1649FWU-USB-Powered-Portable-Monitor/dp/B005SEZR0G

Those options have the benefit of having a portrait view, which offers a lot of space for documents.
  • Reply 11 of 91
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:

Sounds like you need a large screen monitor rather than just using the laptop screen.  Don't most professionals in he publishing industry actually use a large screen to do most of their work? 

On-the-go publisher ;)  is that in the excitable content industry?

He could buy a MacBook Air and a generic 17" monitor. Together they are probably thinner and lighter than the old 17" MacBook.

• Reply 12 of 91
    christophb wrote: »
    And so ends the aftermarket RAM market for MBPs. Good thing they added a 16GB model.

Edit: SWEET! Thunderbolt 2. Glad I held off.

16 GIG will seem so little in a couple of years though ... :\

I was soooo excited with my Mac IIfx and 8 MB :)

At least the Mac Pro seems to still be DIY in both RAM and SSD against all rumors!
  • Reply 13 of 91
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    All good and all, but they haven't up dated the Thunderbolt Display yet. Very overpriced, especially without thunderbolt 2 or USB3.
  • Reply 14 of 91
    entropys wrote: »
    All good and all, but they haven't up dated the Thunderbolt Display yet. Very overpriced, especially without thunderbolt 2 or USB3.

I think that all seems to point to a new 4K/ TB2/ ACD very soon.
  • Reply 15 of 91

Has anyone been ordering them since the Retina was introduced? I haven't ordered any or approved ordering any since the Retina shipped. 

We had so much fun over the years. Broke new boundaries. even when you changed your name from PowerBook everything carried on.

But now you feel heavy, slow, clunky and old. Ciao

• Reply 16 of 91
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

You can't?  The 15 will run at 1920 x 1200. which I believe is the same as the max on the old 17's.  

Usually in the store, they are set to 1440 x 900, but at 1920 x 1200, the 15 retina is superior to the 17.  Gorgeous at that high resolution.

• Reply 17 of 91
    I guess this means no more matte screen option. I can't stand the glare and always paid the premium for the matte screen. It was higher resolution then the standard MBP screen.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    I truly think the MacBook Pro with Retina is the future but at what cost? Optical drives and hard drive are destined to be phased out and Apple is righteous to do that, but do we really need to get rid of all forms of user expansion? In consumer notebooks it's fine to get rid of user expansion because most consumers don't want to deal with the technical aspects of it. But pro customers need that kind of flexibility. Don't tell me thunderbolt is the answer because that's just more clutter and crap that you need to carry around.

*sigh I saw it coming but still held out hope that they would update it to Haswell. But oh well.
  • Reply 19 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sorry bad joke .. ... but so was I, that's why pre retirement I used 2 x 30" Apple Cinema Displays (and a 23" ACD too) and a high end fully loaded Mac Pro. If it's business then the equipment pays for itself in no time and is tax deductible. Why limit yourself to a measly 17" MBP? Oh I missed the 'on the go' part ... well that's tough!

8-)

At home office, I have a 27" and a 24".

On the go, I use the 17". And I'd love a 12" iPad to complement it.

• Reply 20 of 91
    hi