Impressions: Working with Microsoft's Surface 2 & Type Cover 2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    jm2cjm2c Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KippleMaster63 View Post

People still plug their printers in via USB? I've had a printer connected to my home network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi for quite a few years. I don't even remember the last time I actually connected a printer directly to a computer.

As for your point that a Surface can be a person's only device, depending on their needs, so can an iPad. With a bluetooth keyboard and a supported wireless printer you're in business. And as a bonus, mirror the display through Apple TV if you want/need a larger screen. No need for cables at all.

I've had 1 case where there was a non wireless printer around and used my Surface to print.  It's not an everyday occurrence, but it's nice that the Surface can handle it.  Some hotels for example let you use their printers that are not wireless.  I use mine mostly for USB flash drives. 

Yeah, the iPad certainly can be used as a person's only device, it's just that I have never seen that happen.  I know maybe 20 people with iPads and none of them would ever consider using it as their only device.  I know about 5 people with Surfaces and for some it's their only device.  An hdmi adapter is a little cheaper than an Apple TV, though the Apple TV is no doubt far more useful.  Windows RT is also a bit more mouse friendly than iOS is.  Add that to being able to snap multiple apps side by side on multiple monitors and I think it makes it a more acceptable single device experience.  

• Reply 62 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

What is the useful storage on the"32 GB" Surface 2?

It's supposed to be 18GB.  The original Surface's was 15GB.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage

• Reply 63 of 144
    Quote:

I see the next generation as an AirPlay Display with a wireless keyboard and mouse that are able to connect to any Apple device, iOS or OS X. No docking station. No wires. No hassle. Your iPad, your iPhone or your Mac are mobile workstations with a plethora of peripherals to enhance productivity.

I'm not sure why you would want AirPlay instead of a direct connection to the monitor. Keyboard/mouse/trackpad would of course be wireless (do they make them wired anymore?). Even if you do AirPlay, your iPad will sit flat on your desk. If docked, you can still use it as a iChat screen or run an app, etc., and see it easily while you work. 

Also, I was talking more any player to this market, not just Apple. 

• Reply 64 of 144
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    peterdeep wrote: »
    Ha! Have you ever tried to use Windows on a 10" screen with a pen? I challenge you to get through a whole day without throwing the device in the trash. Windows on small touch screen with a stylus is singularly one of the most frustrating and waste-of-time experiences known to man. It's just a bad concept. 

I'm thinking you haven't. I had a loan surface pro the other day, used it quite a bit with the stylus and with just finger touch. Had no problems at all
  • Reply 65 of 144

I just don't get it. I don't get why you would use a Surface, an iPad or any other tablet for serious productivity. The format is inherently unsuited to it. Just get a laptop.

Apple has got this right by pitching the iPad unashamedly as a content consumption device. Tablets suck for creating content and they probably always will. 

• Reply 66 of 144
    The article appears to lack a few critical considerations:

[LIST]
    [*] iPad is designed, developed and supported by Apple which offers market leading customer satisfaction and customer service in every market they serve.
    [*] iWork offers a collaborative iWork environment.
    [*] iCloud storage is effectively limitless for certain types of content; books, movies, music, podcasts, tv shows.
    [*] Perhaps most importantly, iPad users actually use their devices.
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 67 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

For example using the micro HDMI you could connect your Suface to an external monitor.  Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you have a device that you could arguably use as your only device.  Unplug the hdmi connector and you're good to go out with the exact same device you were just a second ago using as a desktop.  

I can do this with my ipad, or iphone too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the iPad and dual monitors via hdmi or airplay can you use both monitors for separate functions and open up multiple apps or is it simple mirroring?  I haven't used an iPad since the 2 and I didn't get into trying to use it with an external monitor that much.  I know it can mirror to a monitor easily.

On the Surface you can snap apps side by side and with a dual monitor set up you can open up multiple apps across your external monitor and have separate apps on your Surface monitor or even open up the desktop on one of the monitors and use Office on a screen better suited for it.  I feel that feature is helpful and it's one of the main reasons I am not surprised when someone is able to use the Surface as their primary device.

• Reply 68 of 144
    I'm not sure why you would want AirPlay instead of a direct connection to the monitor. Keyboard/mouse/trackpad would of course be wireless (do they make them wired anymore?). Even if you do AirPlay, your iPad will sit flat on your desk. If docked, you can still use it as a iChat screen or run an app, etc., and see it easily while you work. 

Also, I was talking more any player to this market, not just Apple. 

Why would anyone want the inconvenience or unpleasant aesthetics of wires?
    Why does not docking imply that an iPad or iPhone is flat on a desk?

I was referring to Apple specifically. This would be an excellent strategy for Apple to provide a flourishing "desktop" operating system in the enterprise.

No one else has either the hardware or software that even approaches this possibility; Apple is two years from the ability to offer such a mobile "desktop class" workstation.
  • Reply 69 of 144
     Let's be real: If you're serious about productivity, and your daily workflow is even moderately complex, you're not going to rely solely on either an iPad or a Surface in their current state.

Many of us have been saying that for a very long time. Tables are the escape from work, not the extension of it. Sure, you might check the company email, review a presentation or spreadsheet, but that is consuming content, not creating or modifying it, which has never been argued to be better on a tablet vs. notebook or desktop. 

Furthermore; until tables are able to easily dock, so that they have 24"-27" monitors keyboard/mouse/trackpad, they will not be used for real work. By this time we should be at the A8 or A9 level processors (although the A7 is quite capable) so the horsepower should be there also. Again, this won't replace your work notebook/desktop for the huge spreadsheets and other large tasks, but will allow you to also dock that work notebook into the above. 

I see the next iteration home computing having a central desk with the above peripherals that any member of the family can dock into when needed to do school work, banking, or career work. Gaming can be done there as well, but I see that moving to the Apple TV like devices. Monitors need replacing less often than devices. Overall, this will save money, be more personal, portable, and upgradable. 

If Microsoft was first in this space, they would have a real compelling ecosystem, as you can duplicate the above in most work environments  also. 

I think that sometime within the next two years we're going to see a form factor that includes both an Intel chip and an ARM chip with touch capability as well as keyboard mouse/trackpad.
  • Reply 70 of 144

After reading this article, sounds like surface 2 is actually better in all aspects, especially after you remove the bias that appleinsider has

• Reply 71 of 144
    I'm not sure why you would want AirPlay instead of a direct connection to the monitor.

Because it's wireless and allows your iPad to be anywhere in WiFi range instead of a few feet of you TV?
  • Reply 72 of 144
    relic wrote: »
    Apple pulled a number on intel with the arm A7 64bit chip. Not only did the A7 "catch up" to intel, it surpassed them in performance (on some tests) while expanding the other set of advantages (efficiency, cost, etc).

It's safe to say that Qualcomm and others will keep improving, even if their chips are inferior to Apple (not only in performance but especially as a complete package), so ARM is stronger than ever.

More competition is always a good thing. I wouldn't call Qualcomm's ARM CPU's inferior to Apple's, they make pretty wonderful chips. The problem with comparing benchmarks here is that Apple controls both the software and hardware, if you were to put Qualcomm's newest, fastest chip in an iPhone I would have no doubt that it would perform as well or better. Just because the chip isn't 64bit means absolute nothing, frankly adding 64bit support to an ARM chip this early in the game is just marketing and pretty silly, especially when Apple hasn't even broken 1GB of ram yet. When phones and tablets start needing more than 3GB of memory than it would start making sense.

No!
  • Reply 73 of 144
    pmz wrote: »
    What a joke.

There is no room in the market for a device that tries and fails to be "in between" pure tablet and laptop.

Exactly. It's like finding a market "in between" a truck and a car. It's going to suck at being either.

I think it's called a. "Furry with a syringe on top".
  • Reply 74 of 144
    Quote:

Why would anyone want the inconvenience or unpleasant aesthetics of wires?

Why does not docking imply that an iPad or iPhone is flat on a desk?

I was referring to Apple specifically. This would be an excellent strategy for Apple to provide a flourishing "desktop" operating system in the enterprise.

No one else has either the hardware or software that even approaches this possibility; Apple is two years from the ability to offer such a mobile "desktop class" workstation.

You have to have a power cable for the monitor and one for the tablet, so one from the monitor to the tablet, that is also power, is not tragic.  Why would someone want to send wireless when they can have the speed of wired just a foot away? 

Well if you are not going to dock, what were you thinking the placement of the tablet would be? A stand? If so, you would power cable the tablet in that stand would you not? If so, hey, you have a dock. Just take that power cable to the monitor instead of the wall. 

People have been docking notebooks for years, this tech is widely available, just not for the tablet market. What software? You dock, and what you have on your tablet you see on the monitor, just like people have been doing for many, many years with notebooks. 

Yes, as stated, Apple's A8 or A9 SOC will do just fine for most household work needs. 

• Reply 75 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Because it's wireless and allows your iPad to be anywhere in WiFi range instead of a few feet of you TV?

What? TV? Who said anything about a TV? Are you suggesting people are going to work on large spreadsheets on their TV using an iPad?

I can't see sitting on a couch with an iPad and logitech keyboard in my lap while working on a presentation or spreadsheet or my photos, or anything like that. Where are you going to put the trackpad or mouse? 

• Reply 76 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that sometime within the next two years we're going to see a form factor that includes both an Intel chip and an ARM chip with touch capability as well as keyboard mouse/trackpad.

I've posted before that we might see that in the notebook and desktop Macs, but I don't believe we'll see that, or need that, in the tablet space. 

• Reply 77 of 144
    Neil did a reasonably fair review, though still with an Apple slant (as it should be on an Apple site). When you speak of productivity and when factoring in price, you most certainly need to give more weight to the inclusion of USB (productivity) and microSD (value). To say this functionality can be "easily added with adapters" can be viewed as a poor (yet expensive!) excuse for not having it in the first place - from a productivity perspective.

I found it odd that when using the Surface as a desk-based computer your distaste for the trackpad forced you into using the touchscreen - what about a mouse? That's what productive people use.

IMO the two windows at once is VERY MUCH needed in tablets and I was pleased to see Neil agree. Even for non-productive purposes, how nice to have twitter on the left and a browser on the right (for example).

If the purpose of this article was to argue productivity, the Surface with RT isn't adequate obviously. Surface Pro for that.
  • Reply 78 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't understand the trackpad. The keyboard- great. Trackpad- why?

Failure of imagination?

• Reply 79 of 144
    You have to have a power cable for the monitor and one for the tablet, so one from the monitor to the tablet, that is also power, is not tragic.  Why would someone want to send wireless when they can have the speed of wired just a foot away? 

Well if you are not going to dock, what were you thinking the placement of the tablet would be? A stand? If so, you would power cable the tablet in that stand would you not? If so, hey, you have a dock. Just take that power cable to the monitor instead of the wall. 

People have been docking notebooks for years, this tech is widely available, just not for the tablet market. What software? You dock, and what you have on your tablet you see on the monitor, just like people have been doing for many, many years with notebooks. 

Yes, as stated, Apple's A8 or A9 SOC will do just fine for most household work needs. 

I didn't realize your posts were sarcasm. My apologies.
  • Reply 80 of 144
    Canceled. What's the use?