Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    techno wrote: »
    What was the first thing Jobs did when he returned to Apple? He stripped the product line down and streamlined everything. Apple was too spread out. Please Tim, don't go back to that period of a watered down brand.
    This. I like this.
  • Reply 22 of 118
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    But everything will have to be re-written!!
    lol- Where's all the old-time naysayers? There would never be an iPad mini- and definitely never a Retina.
  • Reply 23 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeu26 View Post

This. I like this.

Since you like that comment maybe you can explain how adding a 4.3"-4.8" phone to the lineup waters down the brand. (5" to 6" is just silly)

• Reply 24 of 118
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I can't see this happening. It would be unlike Apple to enter the phablet market.

Instead Apple will focus on going smaller. The iPhone Nano will be the new iWatch.

• Reply 25 of 118
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

"the first big-screen phone able to be operated with just one hand."

I've played with the Note series of phones in stores and had no issues using it with one hand. I guess if you're female or have small hands I could see an issue.

That's surprising considering that except when using it as a phone, the current iPhones can't be easily and comfortably operated with one  hand.    This is all counter-intuitive to me.   I don't see how an even larger phone enables single handed operation and I don't understand how you used the Note with one hand.  You've got to hold onto something (unless it's designed to be used with an arm band) and if you're holding on, you can't type efficiently with that same hand (unless once types with just one finger).   That's even true for the current iPhones.    If you just need to press a Back or Send button, you can do that with one hand, but if you have to type actual sentences or even URLs, you can't do that with one hand.

That's not to say that having a larger phone wouldn't be a viable alternative for some people.         The problem is that once you get larger than 5", it's getting awfully close to an iPad Mini size, which would make the Mini moot, since the subsidized price of the iPhone would be perceived as far less than the Mini, for far more functionality.

Quote:

If they do this I hope they retain the 5S screen / form factor.  It fits in the shirt pocket, etc.

That can only happen if the button and speaker area becomes all screen.   It can't violate the laws of physics.   The button itself can be replaced by a software button, but there's microphones, headphone jack and power connector beneath it, so the phone would have to get a minimum of a 1/2" longer if they kept the same width, but they can't keep the same width and keep the same aspect ratio, so it would have to get wider.    If you want a shirt pocket phone, get a shirt pocket phone.    It's like complaining that the iPad won't fit in your shirt pocket. 

Quote:

What was the first thing Jobs did when he returned to Apple? He stripped the product line down and streamlined everything. Apple was too spread out. Please Tim, don't go back to that period of a watered down brand.

That was different.    In those days, Apple had competing product lines (Centris, Performa, Mac, etc.) as well as indistinguishable models within each line and it was difficult to tell the differences between them and the advantages/disadvantages of each.    The problem with that "supermarket strategy" (take up as much space as possible in dealer shelves) is that it caused customer confusion and when there's confusion, consumers defer purchasing.   It also made it difficult for retailers who couldn't explain the differences.   That doesn't matter when you're selling different flavored or regular/diet soda, but it matters a lot when you're selling computers, especially back in those days when this was still new to many consumers. 

There's nothing wrong with having clearly distinguishable models (by screen size) at different price points.     I can see the 5c, 5s (or 6) and a larger phone co-existing without problems.  Of course if this rumor is true, the iPhone 6 might be the larger screen phone.

• Reply 26 of 118
    Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

Finally. It's about time that Apple enters the big screen game. The current 4" is ridiculous.

Abject nonsense.

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Huh?

What was confusing in that post?

• Reply 27 of 118

I hope this is true.  Apple should take a look at the new swift key keyboard for android.  It's made it so that the keyboard is accessible by one thumb.  Also move all the check marks from the left side of a phone and put them all on the right side or make that configurable for a left or right handed person.  And the phone needs to be no larger than 5.1" and no smaller than 4.9".

They do that and Samsung is dead.  I would even go back to owning an iPhone.

• Reply 28 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see nothing that indicates that a 4.3" to 4.8" iPhone would water down the brand.

Moving from 3.5" to 4" didn't water it down.

• Reply 29 of 118
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Satalite View Post

Apple is so late to this. People don't want small 5" screens anymore we've moved to 6" screens where you can't even carry it!

/s

what research do you base that claim on... Even Google android data shows only 10% of the users are using the bigger suppliers. 

• Reply 30 of 118
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

Agreed. A phone should be as small as possible. When I want to read the NY Times I use an iPad.

Men keep phones in their pockets. Make a big phablet for women- fine. Just don't get rid of the thin narrow phones as an option.

• Reply 31 of 118
    Pure drivel.

The fan magazine cited knows nothing and half the posts here indicate they are equally clueless.
  • Reply 32 of 118

Moving from 3.5” to 4” retained one-handed usability. You’d need hands like mine to use anything larger.

• Reply 33 of 118

"Big Hands, I know you are the one..."

• Reply 34 of 118
    Quote:

Moving from 3.5” to 4” retained one-handed usability. You’d need hands like mine to use anything larger.

... and

• Reply 35 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Quote:

I see nothing that indicates that a 4.3" to 4.8" iPhone would water down the brand.

Quote:

That has nothing to do with watering down the brand- just one-handed usability.  island is correct- his post didn't make sense.  Listen to what I said TS- I'm saying island is correct.  Just that admission is proof enough.

Although I've agreed with his last 2 points now... what is happening?

• Reply 36 of 118
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report claims Apple's next-generation iPhone may sport a 1,920-by-1,080-pixel 5-inch display packing in 440 pixels per inch.

It was claimed that Apple plans to make both sides of the screen as "thin as possible." That could allow the company to promote the "iPhone 6" as the first "phablet" able to be operated with one hand.

First, if the screen is 5" or less, it is not a "phablet". Screen needs to be a bit bigger for that label. Second, since there are already phones with 5" 1080P screens that can be operated with one hand (such as my HTC DNA) the claim would be wrong. Of course, that wouldn't prevent Apple from making it, they have made other "first" claims before when they weren't.

-kpluck

• Reply 37 of 118
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Not only will Apple very likely make a 5" version but I predict once they do this or perhaps the year after they will drop the numbers from the iPhone name. I just don't see them releasing an iPhone 9 or 12, it just starts to sound tedious. They can simply have the iPhone c, iPhone (4") and iPhone + (5") which will cover the entire lineup and price points. The switch to Mavericks gave us a good indication they are heading this way by dropping the numbers for OS X. 

It is really hard to understand how anyone could be opposed to this move. Far from diluting the brand this will be the final piece in the puzzle. They will continue to make the 4" version so all those people like the smaller form factor will be appeased but it is ridiculous to ignore a larger screen size when that sector has been growing by leaps and bounds the last few years. Not to mention potentially millions of current iPhone owner who are loyal to the iPhone for the quality of iOS and the hardware but would prefer a larger display that is easier on the eyes or just because they prefer a larger display for a whole host of other reasons.

One handed use is also highly overrated to me in any case as I tend to hold my iPhone 5s in landscape and therefore 2 handed mode as often if not more so as portrait. Most games, videos, typing texts, and indeed most activities where I am looking at the display are better served in landscape mode now so I just really fail to see the importance of one handed use anymore at least from my own personal habits and usage patterns. I am sure others here have very different needs and uses and might find a smaller form factor preferable which is why it makes sense to serve both groups. Apple are very conservative and would never have released a larger iPhone the same year they also introduced the iPhone 5c. But next year will be the perfect time and their product grid will be complete and offer an option for people on a budget, people currently content with the standard iPhone form factor, as well as people that have been wanting a larger display. With the move to China Mobile, Docomo, and many other carriers around the world along with a larger iPhone Samsung will likely see a substantial decline by this time next year. This was their last safe haven free from competition from Apple but Cupertino is on the march. 

• Reply 38 of 118

... and

That’s… what… she said? :???:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That has nothing to do with watering down the brand

I don’t think he meant to say that in the first place; I certainly don’t agree with it. What a wider product base does do, however, is increase complexity on both sides of the aisle. Well, all three sides if you consider Apple’s production and development to be a side.

• Reply 39 of 118
    How about making a phone radio just another option on all iPads, including a new "iPad Nano" to fill the gap between the Mini and the iPhone. Let the buyer decide if they want a Phablet or a Tablet.

They're already part way there with the iPod Touch, which is essentially an iPhone without a radio.
  • Reply 40 of 118
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

Finally. It's about time that Apple enters the big screen game. The current 4" is ridiculous. I am holding onto my 3gs until bigger phone appears.

Everything that could be, is, wrong with this statement.